cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung 980 Pro creates WHEA error in Windows

lexo1000
Level 7
This post for warn future owner of Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD that it create WHEA errors under heavy load (OCCT).
I'm pretty sure that the 980 Pro is the culprit as my older 960 Evo doesn't make this error in OCCT.
It is not make BSOD crash but warning in OCCT and Windows 10 event log.
I don't know if it's a bug from the BIOS, CPU, PCI-E controler or Windows 10.

My setup :
Asus Z-590i
Intel Core i7 11700K
2x8Gb Corsair 3600
750W Corsair SF750
15 REPLIES 15

74lobster
Level 10
lexo1000 wrote:
This post for warn future owner of Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD that it create wHEA error under heavy lod (OCCT)
I'm pretty sure that the 980 Pro is the culprit as my older 960 Evo doesn't make this error in OCCT.
It is not BSOD crash but warning in OCCT and Windows 10 event log.
I don't know if it's a bug from the BIOS, CPU, PCI-e controler or Windows 10.

My setup :
Asus Z-590i
Intel Core i7 11700K
2x8Gb Corsair
750W SF750 Corsair

Hi, I have a Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe and I have no issues... (Windows 10 and 11).
74lobster

bscool
Level 11
Unless the added heat from the 980 pro is causing the issue? I have used 1tb 980 pro in z590 Apex and z590 Hero without issues but they run really warm. In the 50c+ doing nothing.

BigJohnny
Level 13
Open up Windows powershell or CMD prompt admin
Type in sfc /scannow
That alleviates almost all WHEA errors. It will scan the kernel and system files and repair them and generate a log file if you want to look at it (long as hell). I run this once a week like clockwork. If if been doing a bunch of benching and screwing around is when I usually get WHEA errors. Run the command I just posted and I about guarantee you come back with it finished and fixed errors. Only takes a couple of minutes to run.

They dont usually throttle until you get into the 90C range.

RedSector73
Level 12
SFC /scannow does nothing in Windows 10 (it used to work/do stuff, hasn't for ages now).

The replacement / upgraded command is this.

(1) Start typing in search bar, 'Windows Powershell'
(2) Right-click the top result or when you see the command, and select the Run as administrator option.
(3) type ' DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth '

*(3) assumes you are connected to the interNET. If not then google how to use DISM.

let it do it's thing, then reboot.

RedSector73 wrote:
SFC /scannow does nothing in Windows 10 (it used to work/do stuff, hasn't for ages now).

The replacement / upgraded command is this.

(1) Start typing in search bar, 'Windows Powershell'
(2) Right-click the top result or when you see the command, and select the Run as administrator option.
(3) type ' DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth '

*(3) assumes you are connected to the interNET. If not then google how to use DISM.

let it do it's thing, then reboot.

If the SFC scan isnt working for you then you have something corrupted. Ive been running it once a week for years and continue to run it. First was a few weeks back in Win 10, second its running in Win11 newest power shell I just ran. (or you can run it in command prompt. The newer power shell 7.1 has a lot of added features

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth is for the rare occasion it wont repair though SFC /scan now and there is actually a process for that.
Run SFC
Run DISM reboot
Run DISM reboot
Run SFC

Since win 10 was released Ive only had one instance where I had to run DISM command and it was over a freaking office application and it was recently with win11.

lexo1000
Level 7
Does WHEA error could be the consequence of high temperature of the m.2 drive?
The Z590-i is a tiny motherboard and the m.2 easily goes up to 60 degrees under OCCT.
Or maybe it's a problem with the fact that 980Pro is linked to PCI Express 4.0 bus while my older 960 Evo is linked to PCI-E 3.0.

lexo1000 wrote:
The Z590-i is a tiny motherboard and the m.2 easily goes up to 60 degrees under OCCT.
Or maybe it's a problem with the fact that 980Pro is linked to PCI Express 4.0 bus while my older 960 Evo is linked to PCI-E 3.0.

How about none of these things. these temps are not bad and within normal ranges. stick too, you have an issue and needs to fixed or worked out, and what is likely hardware/software/firmware that might be causing the issue.

lexo1000 wrote:

OPERATING TEMPERATURE
0 - 70 C

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/980pro/

From the information it appears the unit throttles if temp get too high.

Zardoc
Level 10
WHEA uncorrectable errors are usually associated with faulty hardware, but they can also be caused by driver conflicts, missing Windows updates, overclocking.

I don't have those errors but I sometimes do get error codes with the drive and needs to be repaired. I haven't done any research because i often image the drive and restore.

Your questions are valid. Have you tried to get a forum that has users that read dump files look at your DMP file? Did you do something that prompted the errors to start or has it been like that since build was done? Have you done a scandisk check on the drive? is it overheating? have you done a Samsung health test Is Windows fully up to date? Check that all hardware is properly in place. If you have OC settings, disable them and test. Create an image of the OS and try a clean install with no software.

Finding the culprit with hardware is not easy. but if you do tests like mentioned you will find the source either the drive is defective or something is causing it to code.