cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 graphics cards: "BIOS is updating LED firmware. Do not shut down or reset the…"

Geremia19
Level 8
I have an Nvidia GeForce GT 710 (1GB) on slot 1 and Nvidia Grid K1 (16GB) on slot 3 of an Asus Prime X399-A, but at boot I get "BIOS is updating LED firmware. Do not shut down or reset the system to prevent system bootup failure."

If I remove the Grid K1, it sits at "BIOS is updating…" for only a few seconds, but when I have both my graphics cards in, it sits at "BIOS is updating…" for a long time (never waited long enough to know if it ever gets past that). It was stuck at LED code 97 "Console Output devices connect". Is this indicative of the Grid K1 possibly being dead? It is a refurbished product.

cf. r/asus/PC stuck on Bios is updating led frimware (submitted 14 days ago)
12 REPLIES 12

xeromist
Are you using the aux power connector? I don't think it's required but I would try it with & without the extra power. I'd also try another slot.

Some info online also says you may need to enable a BIOS option called "Above 4G decoding" if that board has the option.

Beyond that I really have no experience with these cards so I don't know how to validate them.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Also, my GeForce GT 710 is a PCI x8 card, but the Grid K1 is a PCI x16 card. Is 2-Way possible between PCI x8 and x16 cards?

And for some reason, when I use a single graphics card, I can only get the GeForce GT 710 to work on slot 3, not the recommended slot 1 (booting Linux with it in slot 1 results in a hang). Could slot 1 be faulty?

xeromist wrote:
Are you using the aux power connector?
yes

xeromist
That's interesting for sure. If slot 1 is failing for a basic GPU I wouldn't trust it to work correctly with the grid card. Don't suppose you have any other hardware to test with?

You may want to break out a flashlight and do a visual inspection of the slot. Make sure nothing is caught in there or other visible damage.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
You may want to break out a flashlight and do a visual inspection of the slot. Make sure nothing is caught in there or other visible damage.
I didn't see any unusual.

Geremia19
Level 8
Geremia19 wrote:
never waited long enough to know if it ever gets past that
I waited 1½h, and it never got past the "BIOS is updating LED firmware".

I tried an Nvidia Tesla graphics card, too, and it runs into the same issue.

Here's what dmidecode returns:
Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 24 bytes
BIOS Information
Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
Version: 1206
Release Date: 07/15/2021
Address: 0xF0000
Runtime Size: 64 kB
ROM Size: 16 MB
Characteristics:
PCI is supported
APM is supported
BIOS is upgradeable
BIOS shadowing is allowed
Boot from CD is supported
Selectable boot is supported
BIOS ROM is socketed
EDD is supported
5.25"/1.2 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
3.5"/720 kB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
3.5"/2.88 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
Print screen service is supported (int 5h)
8042 keyboard services are supported (int 9h)
Serial services are supported (int 14h)
Printer services are supported (int 17h)
ACPI is supported
USB legacy is supported
BIOS boot specification is supported
Targeted content distribution is supported
UEFI is supported
BIOS Revision: 5.13

The issue was TPM / Trusted Computing. I disabled that in the BIOS settings, and the "BIOS is updating LED firmware. Do not shut down or reset the…" went away, thanks be to God!

xeromist
Hrmm, interesting. Thanks for reporting back!

xeromist wrote:
Hrmm, interesting. Thanks for reporting back!
Though the BIOS doesn't keep fTPM disabled now…
It seems to have been a fluke that it remained disabled, it boot, and lspci listed the additional graphics card.
I can't reproduce it now; fTPM doesn't stay disabled.