cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XIII Hero M.2_4 - SATA 5/6 sharing.

Zeroed85
Level 8
I have an SSD currently on SATA port 5 and want to put an M.2 drive into M.2 slot 4. Does M.2_4 disable both SATA 5/6 ports?

12 REPLIES 12

Grimpak
Level 8
yes. relocate to the other ports. use 1,2,3 or 4 instead. You will lose the ability of using the 3rd x16 slot tho.

Now that I look, you're quite limited on the SATA IO. On the Apex at the very least. you can still use 5 ports with the x4 slot and the m.2_4 being used...

Zeroed85
Level 8
Thing is I have a PCIe 1x sound card in 3rd PCIE slot. That blocks off SATA 3/4. I have SSD's on SATA 1,2 and 5 and an M.2 drive in M.2 slot 3. I can't use the top two M.2 slots because I'm on 10th gen proc...

Zeroed85 wrote:
I can't use the top two M.2 slots because I'm on 10th gen proc...

Book doesn't say that, M.2_2 is available for PCIe 3.0 x4 with a 10th Gen Processor.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

yes it is available with a 10th gen processor.. but... you will drop your x16 pcie slot to x8 if you put a drive in m.2_2...

Zeroed85
Level 8
Well it just occurred to me that as the M.2 drive I want to put in as an OS drive I could just remove the current SSD OS drive from SATA 1 and move the storage SSD from SATA 5 to SATA 1. That would clear up SATA 5/6 and the M.2_4 slot conflict.

Grimpak
Level 8
can't you move the sound card to the pcie x1 slot instead? should clear up all 4 sata ports that way.

Grimpak wrote:
can't you move the sound card to the pcie x1 slot instead? should clear up all 4 sata ports that way.

The PCIE 1x slot is much closer to the PCIE 16x slot than it looks. I considered it but the fit is just too tight with the graphics card.

Zeroed85 wrote:
The PCIE 1x slot is much closer to the PCIE 16x slot than it looks. I considered it but the fit is just too tight with the graphics card.

riser cable (for the soundcard)? Not a great idea but...

Grimpak wrote:
riser cable (for the soundcard)? Not a great idea but...

Thought about that too but most riser cables need to vertically mounted and I didn't like that idea. It's OK the new M.2 will replace one of the SATA SSD's as OS drive and I have full images of the SATA OS drive on external HDD. I should really consider dropping an 11th gen proc in so I can make use of the top two M.2 slots.