cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog g15 Advantage Edition - Stuck in PCIe Gen 3 x8

Xerora
Level 7
BIOS, CPUZ, and Radeon Software all report PCIe Gen 4 is supported but the lane(s) appear to be stuck on Gen 3 x8. Everything is up to date, and the ram has been upgraded. Switching back to stock ram doesn't cause it to change.

Initially I had 2 NVMe drives installed, but removing one of them also hasn't changed the PCIe availability. Am I missing something, or is this just how the laptop is manufactured? If so, then why release a laptop full of hardware that would benefit greatly from Gen4 x16, and then have it handicapped because 1080p at 100+ FPS easily saturates Gen3 x8.

I also checked it on windows 11 and windows 10, and the lane speed remains the same.

Edit: Sorry mods, i just realized the g15 is a strix model, if you see this and decide to move it, please do so. 🙂
5 REPLIES 5

CRJ84
Level 9
From what I can read the CPU 5800H only has PCI express 3.0 and 16 lanes.
From Tomshardware.com
So that will properly leave 8 lanes for the GPU.
As before, the chips have 16 lanes of PCIe 3.0 connectivity, meaning Cezanne will not have PCIe 4.0 support. AMD allocates eight lanes to the graphics, while the remaining eight lanes are split between two NVMe interfaces for storage.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-5000-mobile-cezanne-soc-architecture-deep-dive-zen-3-pow...

CRJ84 wrote:
From what I can read the CPU 5800H only has PCI express 3.0 and 16 lanes.
From Tomshardware.com
So that will properly leave 8 lanes for the GPU.
As before, the chips have 16 lanes of PCIe 3.0 connectivity, meaning Cezanne will not have PCIe 4.0 support. AMD allocates eight lanes to the graphics, while the remaining eight lanes are split between two NVMe interfaces for storage.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-5000-mobile-cezanne-soc-architecture-deep-dive-zen-3-pow...

CPU is a 5900HX. Doubt it does, but does that model difference mean anything?

CRJ84
Level 9
It is the same.

Just bought this laptop also, and have huge problems with the WIFI, it runs really slow and when running games it will report as slow internet connection.

CRJ84 wrote:
It is the same.

Just bought this laptop also, and have huge problems with the WIFI, it runs really slow and when running games it will report as slow internet connection.

I had this issue with previous Asus ROG boards and laptops. I always found the issue was resolved by completely uninstalling the Asus wifi driver and using the default windows 10 driver.

Axroxx
Level 7

<span;><span;>Hey, so me and my friend had basically the same issue when we installed a new Samsung 990 pro (basically the best m2 on the market). Laptop only supports PCIe 3.0 so we knew we expected a speed of 3600 Mb/s. With other original drive we got a speed of 3100, only one drive installed. We unplugged everything from the laptop, disassembled and installed the second drive. After installing the second drive, we ran crystal disk mark only to find that both drives only ran at 1800 maybe 1900 mb/s. So we suspected that it was only running at x2 lanes instead of x4 as each m.2 drive should. For those that don't know, the CPU has set amount of lanes, in our case 16, and the math said that thet should be getting x4 lanes each. x4 lanes at pcie 3.0 means a maximum speed of 3600mb/s, we were getting half on both disks. We googled for hours, used Gpt, bing AI, everything to find why it was running slow. Installed several programs to check, the most useful we found was <span;>HWinfo. <span;>You can se everything there, PCIe lanes, connected hardware to each lane and so on... This is important because it said that each m2 drive was running at x4, when our research showed x2 which was unexplainable. 

<span;>So, we tore it apart again, tried to mount the SSDs even better to see if it made a difference, it didn't of course. He decided to move his os to the new drive with <span;>DiskGenious <span;>and settle with the 1 tb Samsung with higher speed and running the other one through external Usb<span;><span;>Great free software for OS migration btw, no hassle, no cost. Used it several times. There we notice that both drives are Bit locker encrypted. After a quick Google search the first thing that pops up is that bitlocker can decrease the speed of SSD:s by up to 45%, almost exactly what we were getting. It can't be we thought, we managed to turn off bitlocker with a CMD command <span;>Manage-DBE -off C: <span;>This successfully turned off bitlocker. With hands crossed: Nothing. Still 1900. Slightly better maybe but nothing to decide anything. 

<span;>We proceeded with the os migration. When starting it I noticed that the power was low, and suggested we plug the laptop in for power during the migration for obvious reasons. In the same moment I get the following idea. "Hey, how about we try running Crystal mark with the power cable plugged in?". Seems obvious right? Of course you do this kind of stuff with power to the laptop. Well yeah, it was plugged in, when we did our first test getting 3100 before installing the new SSD, thereby removing all the cables, not reattaching them again. Running Crystal mark again: 3600 mb/s.

<span;>Moral of the story, plug in charger when you do this kind of work. It might save you hours of struggle.