New ROGer Array

Question Rog g15 Advantage Edition - Stuck in PCIe Gen 3 x8

BIOS, CPUZ, and Radeon Software all report PCIe Gen 4 is supported but the lane(s) appear to be stuck on Gen 3 x8. Everything is up to date, and the ram has been upgraded. Switching back to stock ram doesn't cause it to change.

Initially I had 2 NVMe drives installed, but removing one of them also hasn't changed the PCIe availability. Am I missing something, or is this just how the laptop is manufactured? If so, then why release a laptop full of hardware that would benefit greatly from Gen4 x16, and then have it handicapped because 1080p at 100+ FPS easily saturates Gen3 x8.

I also checked it on windows 11 and windows 10, and the lane speed remains the same.

Edit: Sorry mods, i just realized the g15 is a strix model, if you see this and decide to move it, please do so.
    Last edited by Xerora; 08-24-2021 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Mod note

ROG Member Array

From what I can read the CPU 5800H only has PCI express 3.0 and 16 lanes.
    From Tomshardware.com
    So that will properly leave 8 lanes for the GPU.
    As before, the chips have 16 lanes of PCIe 3.0 connectivity, meaning Cezanne will not have PCIe 4.0 support. AMD allocates eight lanes to the graphics, while the remaining eight lanes are split between two NVMe interfaces for storage.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...into-notebooks

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by CRJ84 View Post
    From what I can read the CPU 5800H only has PCI express 3.0 and 16 lanes.
    From Tomshardware.com
    So that will properly leave 8 lanes for the GPU.
    As before, the chips have 16 lanes of PCIe 3.0 connectivity, meaning Cezanne will not have PCIe 4.0 support. AMD allocates eight lanes to the graphics, while the remaining eight lanes are split between two NVMe interfaces for storage.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...into-notebooks
    CPU is a 5900HX. Doubt it does, but does that model difference mean anything?

ROG Member Array

It is the same.

Just bought this laptop also, and have huge problems with the WIFI, it runs really slow and when running games it will report as slow internet connection.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by CRJ84 View Post
    It is the same.

Just bought this laptop also, and have huge problems with the WIFI, it runs really slow and when running games it will report as slow internet connection.
    I had this issue with previous Asus ROG boards and laptops. I always found the issue was resolved by completely uninstalling the Asus wifi driver and using the default windows 10 driver.