cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which PBO in Bios for Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero board

jincuteguy
Level 7
HI guys, so I have a 5900X and Asus VIII Crosshair Dark Hero board.
I was looking at the PBO in the Bios. I just realized that there are 2 PBOs in the Bios, one is under Extreme Overclocking and one is under Advanced.
So which one am I supposed to use if I want to use PBO to overclock?
14 REPLIES 14

Milkysunshine
Level 7
jincuteguy wrote:
HI guys, so I have a 5900X and Asus VIII Crosshair Dark Hero board.
I was looking at the PBO in the Bios. I just realized that there are 2 PBOs in the Bios, one is under Extreme Overclocking and one is under Advanced.
So which one am I supposed to use if I want to use PBO to overclock?

I found the AMD overclocking section in advanced to be far more reliable and predictable. I leave everything in the asus tab on auto.

BillBittel
Level 12
OK but are you sure that is OK to do? Does leaving it on Auto in the Extreme Overclocking section affect settings in the AMD overclocking section. Seems like Asus needs to clean this up.

jincuteguy
Level 7
I can't change the PPT, TDC and EDC in the Amd overclock section in the Bios. It only works when I change them in the Extreme Overclock section.
Not only that, but Amd Ryzen Master (software) only read the PPT, TDC and EDC values from the ones in the Asus Extreme Overclock section in the Bios.

jincuteguy wrote:
I can't change the PPT, TDC and EDC in the Amd overclock section in the Bios. It only works when I change them in the Extreme Overclock section.
Not only that, but Amd Ryzen Master (software) only read the PPT, TDC and EDC values from the ones in the Asus Extreme Overclock section in the Bios.

Hmm. I will need to check this out. Thanks for the heads up. Does this mean we should be using the Extreme Overclock section and NOT the AMD section, or some things in one section and other things in the other section? Not confusing at all. Why did Asus do this?

In amd overclocking I set my ppt tdc edc to 740 480 640 which is what they were on my x370 Taichi but the values seem to be hardlocked at 395 255 200. Can these be adjusted to custom values either under xfr pbo or asus pbo options?

criznittle
Level 8
is there much to gain from using PBO or overclocking 5000 series? i thought they were already pushed up to their limit

I am new to the CrossHair VIII Dark Hero BIOS ver 3801 myself, however, one of the features that got me to pair this platform with the Ryzen 9 5950x is the fact that it is capable of Dynamic OverClocking features. You have the option to take advantage of the AMD auto turbo boost features, as well as dialing in specific parameters for AI PBO to keep, Dynamic boost options, a one of a kind feature currently available with the X570 platforms.

criznittle wrote:
is there much to gain from using PBO or overclocking 5000 series? i thought they were already pushed up to their limit

On my 5900X by manually tuning the PBO settings I get a 2.5% higher score in CBR20 MT, compared to the default settings. That's a rough sizing of the kind of improvement you may get

Hello,

Use the PBO settings located under the Extreme Tweaker menu

criznittle wrote:

Short answer is it depends on your intended workload. Increasing the power envelope allows for some headroom in high current multithreaded workloads. For gaming, there's not much benefit.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090