ROG Member Array

A15 FA506QR top model.

When I first got this machine I was pretty impressed, maybe I was blinded by the lights though.
    So where do I begin?

I had made a request in feedback pathways a few times and also have seen others do the same for similar faults with this system.
    I'll start simple, your own updates from My ASUS screwed up the RGB FN functions, I can no longer turn the lights on and off as I please. It may be a simple thing to do, but you know what, if I buy something with a function, I expect it to work, especially for £1500. Problem still isn't fixed and it happened a while ago.

Speaking of your My ASUS, that needs sorting the only thing that sees as important is BIOS updates and the rest of them are optional and are a complete mess in the driver side of things and hot fixes. That really should be streamlined and made so only the latest are there when things are sorted. Having 3 "Nvidia drivers" with no real indication of what they are or which one would be better to download doesn't help. Geforce Exp thankfully sorts that, or so I assume but there are others just like it.

I have come to the conclusion Intel must have paid you to try and leg up AMD or something because your thermal solution on this machine is poor, made worse by none of the Armoury profiles allowing fan control and you have basically made it impossible for 3rd party software to override and kick the fans in. You idea of venting on a gaming machine is left to be desired. In Turbo mode, the only one that actually uses the fans on this machine, when I was playing Forza on Ultra which it is more than capable of doing, even with a cooling tray CPU temps touched 90c + and GPU high 80c. The cooling tray is an aluminium plate with holes drilled into it and 2 140mm 12v high pressure fans running on 15v pushing air into those "vents" of yours. This tray can safely run on the laptops USB I might add, to full effect.

So did an experiment, I opened up a few key hex vents completely and fitted in some dust guards, alas I couldn't touch the right hand passive vent without weakening the shell so I left that as is, but I did open up the pathetic exhaust port between the two main exhausts. Widened and elongated then and put a dust screen over so nothing can get in. When I ran silent mode on this laptop stock the temps would creep to 60+ because there was no airflow and no fans, this is on battery too I might add. As I type this with my tray and the open vents it's sat at a lovely 31c MAX, because it can now actually breathe.

The real experiment came when I played Forza again all these tests are done with mains power not battery. I chose silent because I play it on my TV which is 60hz, but I let my laptop run free for the sake of the test. QHD resolution everything at ultra, no FPS limiter. CPU 77c and GPU 82c. Better than stock but still pretty high. With a 60FPS limiter same settings otherwise, CPU 74c and GPU 78c. Better again, but still not good enough for me.

I then flick the laptop over to Turbo, so CPU goes from a max of 3.3ghz to 4.4ghz and my GPU has a factory overclock to 1830mhz and ram clock of 6121mhz.
    I play Forza again with the same game settings. CPU 62c max and a GPU 66c max. I had to do a double take, I restarted my laptop and monitoring software and I got the same results within a degree or 2. This is with stock thermal paste and pads, of which you have a terrible reputation for so I can only imagine the temps will get even lower when I have that redone and I will undervolt the GPU too. The key difference is the fans are always on, even if only a little, it allows that cool air that's being pushed in to actually get to the main heatsinks and expel that heat.

Aside from that, you gave the iGPU a pathetic ram allocation of 512mb. A VEGA 8 with 512mb... My dads Athlon based on the Zen 1 with a VEGA 3 has 2GB. Depending on machine, this can be altered in the BIOS I believe. But no, not ASUS, you get no fan control and no settings/ allocation adjustments because you bought a Tuf Machine instead of a RoG. poor show when this machine costs nearly 2x as much as your entry RoGs.

Conclusion?
    You made a machine that looked good on paper but you charged £1500 for a machine that can just about go toe to toe with a laptop costing £1000 with a 3060 at 130w. Because you skimped on the thermal design, you restricted the fans and you SEVERLY restricted airflow through the chassis, you gave it a top spec 5800H but don't want to cool it, you limited a 3070 GPU that should have been a minimum of 110w to a "boost" of 95w. All because the cooling was massively inadequate.
    My laptop in it's current state could handle the 110w easy, with a repaste and pads that are high performance I'd say the full 130/140w would be manageable.

In my opinion you need to actually give this machine a proper BIOS, so things like the ram allocation can be adjusted to make the iGPU worth using at times, actually give people FAN CONTROL. My experiment proved how much difference being able to have fans cooling the main heatsinks all the time can make, especially when they block airflow to those heatsinks when not spinning. You should also make a higher watt Profile for the 3070, if the MOBO and VRMs can handle a boost in power make it so, because at least my cooling solution can actually deal with it and I wouldn't feel quite like ASUS robbed me. I also know there is a 240w version of the charger for this laptop, so the power boost wouldn't be restricted there.

On the whole, a poor show with this laptop, especially for the price you asked for it.
    Last edited by Ragnaraz690; 08-25-2021 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Wrong fan size.

ROG Member Array

You know what really takes the piss?
    I'm pretty sure I won't have been the only person asking for fan controls or a better BIOS for this machine, but what is really annoying is the new version of "My ASUS" can now check my fans. Literally take them through various states of running to make sure they're ok. Yet I have no control over them. So I can't use a cooler boost type function, or just have them on full when I'm in turbo mode, but I can what a fault finder take them for a spin for no other reason.

Will you sort this out. If my ASUS can do it, I don't see why you can't give me a program or general access to my fans. Seriously.