cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G15 Advantage Edition (G513QY) Severe DPC Latency (Audio Dropouts on Multiple Dev)

nystrai
Level 7
I have had terrible DPC latency issues form ACPI.sys, TCP/IP.sys (likely from the MediaTek Wi-Fi or Realtek ethernet).

These spikes occur under any circumstances, idle or CPU load, gpu load or mixed load. all tests were performed while plugged in.
The performance plan was set to either best performance (if clean install no ASUS software, and Performance AND TURBO modes from armory crate to make sure that the CPU was not throttling and causing dropouts. it is not.

I have attempted bios reset, windows 10 clean installation with all required ASUS software installed from product support page. this does not resolve the issue.

I have also installed windows 10 clean with NO ASUS software and simply updated windows update and installed the AMD drivers direct from the website.
I have even attempted to disable the battery in the device manager (this changed nothing by the way)
The DPC latency issues remain regardless.

I am seeing spikes over 1000~1500 us which is creating audible audio dropouts, these dropouts occur during gaming, during ASIO application usage, and when im running productivity applications such as visual studio or UE4.

This is disappointing to say the least and since the issue is at this point either driver related, or ACPI implementation related in the UEFI, do you think you could get around to fixing this? this is basic barebones functionality here and it makes the computer defective if it cant capture or playback an audio stream without dropouts, clicks, or pops.

Devices Tested include built in audio, HDMI port, USB ASIO device (Line6 UX2), and Audio from the usbc port (displayport). they all do it.

I don't think the problem is fixable with just an RMA and to be honest I would rather not play that song and dance (how to you handle that situation?), could you fix the bios on this machine so it doesn't do this anymore? I feel like basic QA testing would have Caught this.

as stated I have attempted every restore option I could think of and I think the fault is in the firmware.

Stopping the Armory Crate Service and the ASUS Optimization, System Analysis, and Diagnosis Services seems to help but not enough to prevent dropouts altogether.
4 REPLIES 4

nystrai
Level 7
So it’s been almost three weeks with no reply or even an indication that someone at Asus has even looked at this issue.Â*

I am now stuck with the computer as I am outside of the return period.

This laptop has several issues.

Dpc latency spikes make this unsuitable for content creation.
The gpu is unstable after using it (automatic random reboots after switching dgpu power states)
Zero Linux support at the firmware level (hot,loud, no gpu switching, bad battery life)
s0 standby issues in windows (you’ll be lucky if it sleeps at all)Â*
Â*It’s only saving grace is that when it works it’s fast.

This is a terrible customer experience.

In the past I’ve bought my high end rog Maximus boards, strix gpus, even a couple of rog accessories.

I’m ready to wash my hands of it and just sell it to someone if a firmware update doesn’t fix these issues.

This is a bad line of computers and the g513 amd advantage is a overpriced pile of garbage in its current state.

I think I’m going to rma, then rma again because the fault is in the firmware and a replacement won’t fix it, then rma a third time, at that point Arizona lemon law kicks in and they have to give me a functioning different replacement or a complete refund. Â*

Stand behind your products Asus, I have been patient for almost a month now and not one of your reps has even offered a suggestion to help.

I have done the following:

Clean restore using Asus method (problems exist still as they did out of the box)
Reinstalled windows and drivers myself (better performance this way but still the same issues)
Tried various video driver and amd chipset versions (none of them change anything)

Your engineers really screwed up this machines firmware and you need to push a bios update to address these issues.
It’s useless as a laptop, and useless for any sort of work due to the random reboots and dpc latency issues.Â*

This computer looks like a bargain on the outside but DO NOT BUY the g15 advantage edition until Asus fixes their horrible firmware and software.

Now, do the right thing, issue a big fixed uefi firmware update instead of ignoring or probably deleting my post. Â*I’m gonna give this another go before looking elsewhere to bring attention to this issue.Â*

nystrai wrote:
So it’s been almost three weeks with no reply or even an indication that someone at Asus has even looked at this issue.Â*

I am now stuck with the computer as I am outside of the return period.

This laptop has several issues.

Dpc latency spikes make this unsuitable for content creation.
The gpu is unstable after using it (automatic random reboots after switching dgpu power states)
Zero Linux support at the firmware level (hot,loud, no gpu switching, bad battery life)
s0 standby issues in windows (you’ll be lucky if it sleeps at all)Â*
Â*It’s only saving grace is that when it works it’s fast.

This is a terrible customer experience.

In the past I’ve bought my high end rog Maximus boards, strix gpus, even a couple of rog accessories.

I’m ready to wash my hands of it and just sell it to someone if a firmware update doesn’t fix these issues.

This is a bad line of computers and the g513 amd advantage is a overpriced pile of garbage in its current state.

I think I’m going to rma, then rma again because the fault is in the firmware and a replacement won’t fix it, then rma a third time, at that point Arizona lemon law kicks in and they have to give me a functioning different replacement or a complete refund. Â*

Stand behind your products Asus, I have been patient for almost a month now and not one of your reps has even offered a suggestion to help.

I have done the following:

Clean restore using Asus method (problems exist still as they did out of the box)
Reinstalled windows and drivers myself (better performance this way but still the same issues)
Tried various video driver and amd chipset versions (none of them change anything)

Your engineers really screwed up this machines firmware and you need to push a bios update to address these issues.
It’s useless as a laptop, and useless for any sort of work due to the random reboots and dpc latency issues.Â*

This computer looks like a bargain on the outside but DO NOT BUY the g15 advantage edition until Asus fixes their horrible firmware and software.

Now, do the right thing, issue a big fixed uefi firmware update instead of ignoring or probably deleting my post. Â*I’m gonna give this another go before looking elsewhere to bring attention to this issue.Â*

Lack of response on a 'Forum' doesn't absolve you of the responsibility to secure remedy within the return window.

YourMainD wrote:
Lack of response on a 'Forum' doesn't absolve you of the responsibility to secure remedy within the return window.

if you don’t have anything productive to contribute kindly get out of my thread.Â*
What you had to offer was zero help which is exactly what Asus had contributed up until this morning when bios 313 went live.

I’m now testing it to see how it behaves.Â*

Not everyone can return things easily right now due to staffing shortages, weird hours at retailers, in addition, intel CPU’s in a replacement aren’t really an option since they seem to be fine with 100c (bouncing of bdprochot)

Some of us just want what we bought to work, some of us don’t want to play the laptop shuffle.Â*

I’m going to go see if they fixed some of this stuff. Â*You can go irritate and badger someone else on here since that seems to be your mo.Â*

Or to make my point shorter. Being technically correct from a retail perspective doesn’t absolve you of your responsibility to stop being an ******* to people you don’t even know. Â*

Mods please close this thread if I need anymore help I know not to try and get it here. Â*

RedSector73
Level 12
Try the drivers here
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?124328-DRIVERS-MediaTek-WiFi-Bluetooth&highlight=MediaTek+...

or could just replace the NIC with Intel AX210 (which is what I would do).