cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help setting RAM on my z390 to work at least at 4000

advapi
Level 7
Hello,
I have an Asus Z390 Pro with an i9900k CPU. I've found and took without looking on amazon for one kit of g.skill f4-4600c19d-16gvke.
If I set the XMP it won't boot. Now I'm at 3600 but on a 1hour test it fails at 51:00 😕

Is there a particular reason I can't boot @4Ghz? I've read that my mobo supports max 4266+ but I wish to run them at least at 4 with eventually higher CL

Any suggestion?
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

BigJohnny
Level 13
A lot depends on the IMC of the chip. Try increasing the Vram, up to 1.5 is safe for that kit. but try to keep it 1.45 and under. Also VCCIO and VCCSA might need a boost to about 1.1V
Still no guarantee it will hit what you want it to. What you are cooling the CPU with also has an impact as when your package temps get up there instability looms in the wings. 9900K isnt exactly a cool running chip and to get the most from it you will need a custom loop. Air or AIO isnt going to cut it.
Whats the rest of your memory timings look like. You can download an ASROCK app that shows them but you cant change them.

Here are some of the basics.
https://www.igorslab.de/en/ram-oc-all-the-basics-you-need-to-know-a-rough-guide-and-overview/2/

ASUS used to have an OK tool that could be used in real time but they no longer support it. Memtweakit. Another way is Intel XTU but used caution with this utility as you can find yourself at a need to clear CMOS if you push too far.

RedSector73
Level 12
Check you put the RAM in slots 2 & 4 (A2 & B2) from the CPU.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

1. Make sure to try both XMP I and XMP II profiles.

2. VCCIO and VCCSA is CPU dependant, but high frequencies may need in excess of 1.3v. For 4K, start around 1.15v and work up.

3. Check both modules are in A2 & B2.

4. You may have to tune sub timings for 4k & beyond. Look at relaxing seconds as well as terts, tWRRD_sg and tWRRD_dg
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Braegnok
Level 14
advapi wrote:
Hello,
I have an Asus Z390 Pro with an i9900k CPU. I've found and took without looking on amazon for one kit of g.skill f4-4600c19d-16gvke.
If I set the XMP it won't boot. Now I'm at 3600 but on a 1hour test it fails at 51:00 😕

Is there a particular reason I can't boot @4Ghz? I've read that my mobo supports max 4266+ but I wish to run them at least at 4 with eventually higher CL

Any suggestion?
Thanks

Hello,

Read this DDR4 OC Guide. https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/oc-guide/DDR4%20OC%20Guide.md

The guide covers Setup, General RAM Info, Expectations/Limitations, and than Overclocking.

Hello,
I'm trying with a patriot kit I've been given by a friend of mine, it's4266Mhz... I'm able to boot at 4k but nothing more... am wondering if I try to buy a kit of 4266 QVL from amazon if it can run @ 4266 or if still the VCCIO and VCCSA can bother... now I'm stress testing those @4k 17-17-17-37
Give you a feedback in a short

Hello,
I can successfully run those modules at 4000mhz....not even a MHz more... do I have to abdicate to reach 4266??? I've tried with VCOO @ 1.3 and VCCSA @ 1.3 with no luck....

Thanks

advapi wrote:
Hello,
I can successfully run those modules at 4000mhz....not even a MHz more... do I have to abdicate to reach 4266??? I've tried with VCOO @ 1.3 and VCCSA @ 1.3 with no luck....

Thanks

4266 is the maximum validated frequency for that board, which means conditions need to be ideal. It's always best to opt for stability a couple of notches below the maximum validation.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

advapi wrote:
Hello,

Thanks

Listen to Scone. 4266mhz would be hard to achieve on a board like this.

Also, QVL's don't mean anything for XMP. Nothing. They shouldn't even exist anymore, IMO. There will be many instances where someone buys a kit on the QVL and it won't even post. QVL's are best case scenarios at best nowadays.