cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G15 Advantage Edition (G513QY) WIFI problems MediaTek MT7921

CRJ84
Level 9
I just bought this laptop today, and really love it, but the WI-FI problems is really bad.

Sometimes it will run at speeds like 250-300 mbps, but not very often, and then drop to 100mbps or even lower like 8-10 mbps.
It also gives really high latency so it is impossible to play online games.

I have tried different drivers
3.0.1.1185 found these on another site

I also found another thread where someone suggested to install AsusMultiAntennaService_Z_V3.1.3 I have also tried that, but not sure how I can confirm it installed correctly.

I have my old laptop and phone connected to the same WIFI, doing 300-400mbps no problems.
Placed in the same location as my new Asus Strix Advantage laptop.

Not sure if I should return the laptop? Or can anyone help?
24 REPLIES 24

RedSector73
Level 12
Hard to see what specifications are ATM, but when you open the drivers section I notice there are Intel Drivers for Wi-Fi as well.

I would try installing the Intel Driver Assistant and see what it finds for your system (largely automated and selects the best Intel drivers where applicable)
https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

And if that does not help, then look at the other downloads on offer in networking and see if they help (see more downloads in networking)
https://rog.asus.com/laptops/rog-strix/2021-rog-strix-g15-advantage-edition-series/helpdesk_download

CRJ84
Level 9
Thank you, could not get it to detect any drivers and could not force install them either unfortunately.

I can read from other places that a lot of people have problems with MediaTek's wifi, some solved it by buying a wifi 6 router, but that is really not a solution if you need to go some where with this laptop.

RedSector73
Level 12
If everything else is good about the laptop for you.
I'd just buy another NIC, such as Intel AX210 Wireless AX210NGW which I have put in both of the laptop I own, and they work flawlessly. They originally had Realtek NIC's which worked fine but I wanted more and this one from Intel is gold ~imo.

RedSector73 wrote:
If everything else is good about the laptop for you.
I'd just buy another NIC, such as Intel AX210 Wireless AX210NGW which I have put in both of the laptop I own, and they work flawlessly. They originally had Realtek NIC's which worked fine but I wanted more and this one from Intel is gold ~imo.

I really do not want to open it up and replace the wifi card, would be scared about the warranty.
Also I paid a lot of money for this laptop in Denmark, so everything should work 100%.

CRJ84
Level 9
Uninstalled and removed all drivers to the Wifi card, and restarted so windows would install drivers, after that I got 300 down and 200 up, a better result but still not great.
But now an hour after it is running slow and unusable again 10 mbps down and 65mbps up. 😕

RedSector73
Level 12
Honestly, NIC's, have been hit n miss across the whole range of manufacturers inc Intel with duds. It's 60 dollars AUD to fix with something that works. Just a thought. I mean completely up to you how you go about solving the issue and understand that something shinny and new should just work perfectly.

If the shop does it takes about 10 minutes - 15 minutes, if you include a coffee.

We have strong consumer laws, but this should not effect your warranty whatsoever.

RedSector73 wrote:
Honestly, NIC's, have been hit n miss across the whole range of manufacturers inc Intel with duds. It's 60 dollars AUD to fix with something that works. Just a thought. I mean completely up to you how you go about solving the issue and understand that something shinny and new should just work perfectly.

If the shop does it takes about 10 minutes - 15 minutes, if you include a coffee.

We have strong consumer laws, but this should not effect your warranty whatsoever.

Maybe replace it with something like this Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200?

RedSector73
Level 12
Get the AX210 if you can. It is king, but yes (off memory), the AX200 should be fine and has more availability.

Just looked back at my list when I did my purchase, the only difference had noted is that AX210 supports bluetooth 5.2 and AX200 is BT 5.1 (that may have or not changed just at that time, which was early 2021)

The Killer AX1650 was also on the list never went with it.

CRJ84
Level 9
OKay thank you, will try to call the place where I bought the laptop if they can do anything with replacing the wifi card, or it is okay that I do it myself.