cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI Maximus IX Code TPM enabling for Windows 11

justforgroups
Level 9
Hi,
This is more of an FYI, hope it will help others.

Running TPM.MSC on my Windows 10 PC, it told me no TPM was found.
I had BIOS 1301 and under Advanced\PCH-FW, I had two options: dTPM and PTT. dTPM was enabled by default (see pictures).
I assumed PTT was the correct one to choose, from reading forums etc. but I left it alone and upgraded BIOS to 1501 (no issues).
Going back into the same screen after upgrade, I see PTT is now the default.

Running TPM.MSC again, it tells me it has found a TPM, I've highlighted the version - 2.0

Update: just to mention, for those who want hardward based TPM encryption (PTT is software based), it is possible to purchase a TPM module from ROG and plug it into the mbod, instead.

Regards.
10 REPLIES 10

74lobster
Level 10
justforgroups wrote:
Hi,
This is more of an FYI, hope it will help others.

Running TPM.MSC on my Windows 10 PC, it told me no TPM was found.
I had BIOS 1301 and under Advanced\PCH-FW, I had two options: dTPM and PTT. dTPM was enabled by default (see pictures).
- default screen
- available options
I assumed PTT was the correct one to choose, from reading forums etc. but I left it alone and upgraded BIOS to 1501 (no issues).
Going back into the same screen after upgrade, I see PTT is now the default.

Running TPM.MSC again, it tells me it has found a TPM, I've highlighted the version - 2.0

Update: just to mention, for those who want hardward based TPM encryption (PTT is software based), it is possible to purchase a TPM module and plug it into the mbod, instead.

Regards.

Hi, could you please gimme a link where I can buy the right TPM module ?

I own a ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO mobo.

Thanks in advance.
74lobster

74lobster wrote:

Thanks in advance.

not using the fTPM built-in?

74lobster wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
I didn't buy one myself, I'm happy with the PTT. I looked at my mbod specs and saw it has pins for a TPM hardward module, so wanted to highlight it.
You buy the module from ROG themselves. Have a read of this thread to see if it helps.

jfg

justforgroups wrote:
Hi,
I didn't buy one myself, I'm happy with the PTT. I looked at my mbod specs and saw it has pins for a TPM hardward module, so wanted to highlight it.
You buy the module from ROG themselves. Have a read of this thread to see if it helps.

jfg

I made the same question also in that thread but, there too, no one posted me a valid link of a site where I can buy this TPM module...
74lobster

74lobster
Level 10
Yeah, but it's not a real TPM module...
74lobster

74lobster wrote:
Yeah, but it's not a real TPM module...

Ok but do you have any *real* need for the TPM module? as far as I know, either the module or the fTPM are functionally equal.
Feel free to correct me on this tho, for I'm not sure.

Grimpak wrote:
Ok but do you have any *real* need for the TPM module? as far as I know, either the module or the fTPM are functionally equal.
Feel free to correct me on this tho, for I'm not sure.

this - 0 difference for a standard user who just wants to run Win11. The HW chip might be required with some specific software, but those are mostly corporate. Does your employer require you to have it or what the actual f?

timetoy
Level 7
I think the reason why someone will want the TPM module, is that you can transfer it to another compatible motherboard if you want to upgrade down the road and take your windows 11 install with you.

For the ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO you need the "TPM SPI" module with 14-1 pins. This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08836SG1X

BTW this is what you get in windows once it is installed: 89933

timetoy wrote:
I think the reason why someone will want the TPM module, is that you can transfer it to another compatible motherboard if you want to upgrade down the road and take your windows 11 install with you.

Okay, fair, but I think you can transfer the keys to/from a usb stick with fTPM, if i'm not mistaken.