cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G512Li RAM locked at 2666MHz even though advertised as 2933 MHz

florezfrancisco
Level 7
Hello

I upgraded my G512LI Laptop to 32GB RAM with T-Force Zeus DDR4 SODIMM (2x16GB) 3200MHz (PC4-25600) 260 Pin CL16 However is XMP memory and the g512li is a non-XMP motherboard, or don’t have XMP enabled, the memory will simply run at whatever JEDEC timings the computer decides. With ZEUS parts this often means the memory will be downclocked to the next lowest speed. Hence this memory speed downclocked to 2666.

When I bought it, the laptop came with 16Gb of RAM with a Sodimm at 3200MHz and another from 2666MH, I know that the i7 10750 processor which comes with the laptop has speed limited to 2933MHz, however as I said before it is limited and recognizes the 2666MHz memory ...
What I can do?
3 REPLIES 3

xmanrigger
Level 12
So are you saying the G512Li has 2X memory modules, one at 3200mhz and the other at 2666mhz? If that is the case, maximum memory speed will be the maximum speed of lowest module. That is........ if they play nice together.

I looked at the user manual for the G512LI, and the BIOS settings are vague at best. So I am not able to establish whether the G512LI BIOS has memory XMP settings. If it does, then set it appropriately. Given this is a ROG laptop, I would have to think it would have some advanced settings in the BIOS.

You say you purchased a 32GB kit now to replace the original miss-matched 3200/2666 modules. According to Asus, these modules should run. Maybe check the memory QVL list and ensure your kit is listed. Even if the memory isnt listed, that does not mean the kit will not work. It just may not have been verified.

Push F2 at post to enter BIOS and check all BIOS settings to see if there is an XMP setting or DRAM Speed setting. If there is, set it appropriately.
GUTS: ROG Strix Z490-A / i9-10850 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ Royal 4000mhz / WD Black 1TB M.2 - 2TB Ki...

WATER: EK Velocity Strike - CPU / EK-Quantum Vector - GPU / 2X Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 360 Radiators / XSPC Photon Rez / D5 Pump / DISTILLED WATER + Silver Coil

Hello if the memory is compatible and assured by asus support ... the problem is actually that the bios does not have advanced options and does not allow changing or modifying frequencies or XMP profiles, for example on the page of another provider that there is also many complaints but in reality it is because of the bios and its restrictions.

I do not know if anyone has solved this, if many have found solutions such as modifying the bios but I do not want to lose the guarantee nor do I have much knowledge to do it right

Blake1
Level 10
Hello florez,
Can you PM me your product SN and the complete model name of the RAM you installed?
I will check more about it.
Thank you.