cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ELI5: How to get 2.5 LAN connectiion from AXE11000

mikewmoran84
Level 7
Can someone please explain this to me like I'm five? I feel like I'm missing something because nothing works. And if it wasn't meant to work...then why even advertise that it has a 2.5 Gbps port?

My modem is the Motorola MB8611 with a single dedicated 2.5 Gbps port. I have tried connecting the modem to both the regular WAN port of the AXE11000 and the 2.5 Gbps labeled port (having gone into router settings to switch the Primary port). Using CAT 6 ethernet cables.

Then I am going from the router to the 2.5 gbps port on my MSI Tomahwak X570S motherboard.

ONLY WHEN Bypassing the router altogether I am able to read about 1.2 Gbps from my overprovisioned 1 Gig plan (computer straight to modem).

However going through the router, no matter how I configure it or which port I use as WAN, I am limited to just under 1 Gbps.

When I click on Properties on the network, I am shown that I have 2.5 Gbps speed only when computer is connected to the 2.5 G port and the regular WAN set as primary connected to modem. However this results in just under 1 Gbps speed. Connecting the other way, with my desktop PC going to the WAN port and the 2.5 G going to the modem, Properties shows a 1 G speed capability. Either way I have a bottleneck from one of the ports on the router. I am on the latest firmware.
9 REPLIES 9

mikeblunt2020
Level 7
mikewmoran84 wrote:
Can someone please explain this to me like I'm five? I feel like I'm missing something because nothing works. And if it wasn't meant to work...then why even advertise that it has a 2.5 Gbps port?

My modem is the Motorola MB8611 with a single dedicated 2.5 Gbps port. I have tried connecting the modem to both the regular WAN port of the AXE11000 and the 2.5 Gbps labeled port (having gone into router settings to switch the Primary port). Using CAT 6 ethernet cables.

Then I am going from the router to the 2.5 gbps port on my MSI Tomahwak X570S motherboard.

ONLY WHEN Bypassing the router altogether I am able to read about 1.2 Gbps from my overprovisioned 1 Gig plan (computer straight to modem).

However going through the router, no matter how I configure it or which port I use as WAN, I am limited to just under 1 Gbps.

When I click on Properties on the network, I am shown that I have 2.5 Gbps speed only when computer is connected to the 2.5 G port and the regular WAN set as primary connected to modem. However this results in just under 1 Gbps speed. Connecting the other way, with my desktop PC going to the WAN port and the 2.5 G going to the modem, Properties shows a 1 G speed capability. Either way I have a bottleneck from one of the ports on the router. I am on the latest firmware.

The router only has one 2.5GB port, as you seem to already be aware. So of course you are not going to be able to get both 2.5GB WAN and LAN at the same time. Using the 2.5GB WAN connection, you will enjoy a bit more wireless bandwidth (theoretically, at least) but your wired clients will be limited to 1GB Ethernet.

mikeblunt2020 wrote:
The router only has one 2.5GB port, as you seem to already be aware. So of course you are not going to be able to get both 2.5GB WAN and LAN at the same time. Using the 2.5GB WAN connection, you will enjoy a bit more wireless bandwidth (theoretically, at least) but your wired clients will be limited to 1GB Ethernet.

I thought that was the case but was hoping I was mistaken or just missing a configuration option. Thanks for the reply.

Saltgrass
Level 13
I believe the 2.5 Gbps port is the LAN version but the WAN version is only 1 Gbps.

I have gotten LAN speeds above 1 Gbps going from a Wi-Fi AX device through the 2.5 Gbps port on the Router to a 2.5 Gbps port on the computer..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

wilsondenq
Level 10
or maybe you might try
modem --- 2.5GE ---- Router ----link aggregation(LACP) ---- MSI board (add additional Ethernet card to make teaming port)
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1016088/

Subscribed to follow for any resolution. I'm currently having the same issues, just with slightly differnet hardware. I don't know if I have it hooked up correctly. OP, do you have a network switch (2.5ge) anywHELP PROPER CONFIG GT-AX11000 2.5GE + 2.5GE SWITCH + 2.5G MODEM FOR OVER 1GBPS...

wilsondenq wrote:
or maybe you might try
modem --- 2.5GE ---- Router ----link aggregation(LACP) ---- MSI board (add additional Ethernet card to make teaming port)
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1016088/

Additionally ethernet card? Like PCIe? If so, what kind? What's a "teaming port"?

wilsondenq
Level 10
teaming port is to use 802.3ad to aggregate 2 1G LAN ports to be 2G port, but your PC need to have 2 LAN ports as well.
You can make your PC (2 ports) - Router LAN (2 ports) - WAN 2.5G - modem 2.5GE

Thanks. I've come to the conclusion my purchase of the 2.5ge network switch was a waste of money. At least until we start getting more consumer affordable routers with multiple 2.5g ports 😞

Certainly wish I didn't spend so much money on this GT-AX11000 router lol could have gotten all I'm gonna get from a cheaper router and no network switch. Maybe I'll call Comcast/Xfinity and see if I can push them on "hey, if I'm paying for 1200mbps, and I can only reach that on direct modem-to-PC ethernet, or only modem-to-router-WAN-wireless (not wired), what can we do?

I suspect nothing. lol

wilsondenq wrote:
teaming port is to use 802.3ad to aggregate 2 1G LAN ports to be 2G port, but your PC need to have 2 LAN ports as well.
You can make your PC (2 ports) - Router LAN (2 ports) - WAN 2.5G - modem 2.5GE

Yeah I upgraded to the Arris S33 modem from the SB8200... so I briefly thought about going back to the SB8200 so I could do LAN/WAN aggregation or whatever to reach over 2gbps... but then that'd be pointless because even if I could get those 2 ethernet cables run correctly from the modem to the router, I'd be screwed using any of the 4 remaining ethernet out ports on the router which I believe are all limited to 1gbps? Unless I can run 2 ethernet cables from those output ports into the 2 ethernet ports on my mobo (Crosshair Hero VIII WiFi) - one 2.5 and one "regular" 1gbps.

Where could I use the switch in any of this if if possible?