cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus B450-F Mobo Networking Issue

Viper_Maniac
Level 7
Hi I'm having an issue with my networking on my Asus B450-F Strix Gaming mobo. I usually try to fix things myself but this time I'm a bit stumped.

My specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
Asus B450-F Gaming
16GB Gskill Trident Z Neo 3600mhz
Using onboard audio and ethernet

When I'm on the internet I keep having my browser (Firefox) randomly not connect to a website. It will tell me that the server can't be reached. This happens not only with my browser but with everything (Edge, Steam, Epic games launcher, windows update, etc). Trying to ping an address (IP or website) will sometimes work and other times fail. I have not noticed if there is a certain period of time in between when this happens. It already caused problems when trying to install windows updates. Had to reinstall because of it.

I have tried several things to see if they fix/help my problem.
I've tried:
Putting in a PCIE network card.
Changing DNS provider (OpenDNS)
Tried different drivers (Asus and Intel)
Reinstall Windows (Twice)
Tried different ports on router.
Tested Ethernet cable with second computer(Old laptop and had no issues with surfing internet)
Uninstalled AV (ESET IS)
Updated Bios (I'm not running the latest because the latest just relates to W11)

I don't think I'm forgetting anything.

I'm at a loss for what is causing this. I bought this Mobo last year. Thought I would get more than a year out of it. This issue is almost making me feel like my computer is unusable. I haven't noticed any other issues other than the networking issue. I appreciate any help. Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6

RedSector73
Level 12
I don't think this is an issue with the onboard NIC or your mobo. Software is a maybe.

Try a new network cable.
Does not fix the problem, explain your network setup.
Is the openDNS server near to you, 1.1.1.1 1.0.0.1 cloudflare might be another to try.

Could it be the router?

I will try a new cable as soon as I can.

My network setup is nothing big. It's just a Netgear R6400 router with a Roku, my PC, my 360 and a Blu ray player hooked up to it via Ethernet. The cable for my PC is probably a 50 or 75ft cable because it is 2 rooms away from the router. I will try moving my PC out to the router and use one of the cables from one of the other devices to check if it is the cable.

I hope it's the cable because anything I connect to the router via WiFi have no problems whatsoever.

As far as I know the nearest OpenDNS server is in Chicago and I'm in northern Indiana. I will try cloudflare if the cable is ok.

Tried a new cable and it didn't work. The new cable I used was brand new. I even tried it on a different port on the router too and no change. What now? Could it be the router or the mobo? WiFi devices still have no problems.

Anybody got any ideas?

xeromist
You tried a separate network card and that failed too so I don't think it's your motherboard. Any chance that old laptop is 10/100 rather than gigabit? Could be the router is choking on ethernet connections in gigabit mode for some reason.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

The laptop (Lenovo G550) is 10/100. I've found out a few things since I posted this thread. After doing various testing thanks to help I got from a user on a different forum, my router doesn't seem to be causing this issue. I've tested the hardware of my computer with a live usb of Linux Mint and the problem disappears. That tells me it's a windows issue because the problem disappears. I haven't had the time yet to dive into the depths of windows to try and find what is causing the problem. 😞