cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High temps 54 C idle Ryzen 9 5950x with Asus Ryujin 240 cooler.

Aarsh
Level 7
This CPU 5950x is installed on ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark hero with an Asus Ryujin 240mm AIO but the temps seem odd.
while idle it's mostly above 50 C and on gaming, it reaches between 70 even near 80 in some cases.
Is this such a bad cooler? Have I wasted my money on ASUS AIO ? should have gone with an Air cooler and would have achieved better temps than Ryujin 240.
OR
is it a faulty piece or maybe I am doing something wrong? any suggestions?
3 REPLIES 3

Englishman_Xper
Level 9
Hi, for that CPU I think you should've picked the 360.

Temperatures are quite dependent of many variables, such as, room temperature, your case, what kind of airflow, fan placement, overclocking, undervolting, is it dusty and even computer placement.

I have the Ryujin on a Ryzen 7 2700X and I was going to buy the 360 but the 240 actually surprised me a lot. It never goes over 55ºC while youtubing and that's with the radiator fans mostly off great part of the time.

While editing/rendering videos on Davinci Resolve, it went from peaks 81ºC to Peaks 61ºC

For comparison, the Wraith Cooler (Its a cooler master) is not that bad and I used a quiet fan profile (1200rpm) and it was pretty good while gaming, averaging under 65ºC but the Ryujin is amazing mainly because of the Noctuas, they are really quiet.

Tips:
- Keep and eye for fan placement, don't create air turbulence inside, advice, 2x 140mm or 3x 120mm intake on front 1x 120mm out and adjust rpm for positive pressure (more air intake). Mount the radiator on top. (exhaust)
- Heat always rises, don't put the computer under your table.
- If your room is like mine, always above 23ºC, use a house fan to extract hot air out of the room, or if possible, HVAC is better.
- Better fans, I'm not much into most brands, I tested some like Zalman, Thermaltake, NZXT, Phanteks, CoolerMaster but the best of the best is still Corsair, Be Quiet and Noctua.
- Clean your computer often, dust starts accumulating on the fans real quickly and worsen the performance. Twice a month is a good mark, use a air duster.
- Undervolt by offset in BIOS or sacrifice/disable PBO if you want, but I didn't do that. You can also undervolt GPU to contribute to less heat in the system.
- If your case is not airflow friendly (like glass front), well not much to do there but an airflow friendly case does the most.

NOTE: Check your fan profiles on Armoury Crate, create a custom one with the radiator fans always above 40% or they will stop spinning.

Cheers

= undervolting tips =
https://youtu.be/yVFjvizChrw

= opolar air duster =
https://youtu.be/ahqtSTkDwKo

There's idle and then there's truly idle. Windows typically has a ton of things which consume little bits of CPU here and there. A low-ish background CPU load on a machine that's not doing much can easily make the 5950X sit up at 50+C, depending on how you have configured PBO and the Curve Optimiser (or similarly with a static overclock). If you have it boosting up towards 5GHz on single or low core things (i.e. gaming), it will easily heat up to 70-80C on some of those workloads.

My 5950X will sit stable at 80C with the FurMark CPU Burner running either 32 threads at about 4400MHz or about 70C for 2 threads at about 4800+MHz, then mostly idles down in the 40s, but sometimes a little background stuff will raise the idle into the 50s. I'm running PBO on its highest power limits, an all core -25 on the Curve Optimiser, and a Ryujin II 360 keeping it cool. The 5950X does run hot on some workloads, it's a mini-Threadripper and has a lot of high power silicon crammed in there (kinda like 2 Ryzen 5700Xs in a single package).

Your cooler is probably fine, a 360 would be a better choice than a 240 for a top end CPU, but the 240 should be sufficient if you don't go completely nuts on the overclocking. Fundamentally, there's nothing unusual about a 5950X boosting up to 80C when you give it some decent work to do, and it's well within the thermal design of the chip to run at that temperature. It should only be a concern if it's running at that temperature under load and then starts heavily throttling the frequency. Stock frequency is 3400MHz; 4000MHz should be easy, 4400MHz all core is possible, 5000MHz single core isn't impossible with a good setup and the right chip (some will go higher than others); but running it above 3400MHz will typically get HOT some of the time. You may loose a little boost/clock potential at the high end on a 240, rather than a 360, but that's just how it goes. I could probably boost mine even higher if I did a full custom cooling loop, but I decided that the convenience / price of a 360 AIO was the level I'd go for (at least for now).

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Check for even mounting pressure when mounting. However, due to how Ryzen parks cores, idle temps are higher than what some might consider "normal". If the CPU is within operating range when underload, there's not any reason to be concerned.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090