Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Today's brilliant reply from Asus includes the following verbiage:

Since your product is not zoned for North America, our local repair center may not have parts to complete service. There would also be a cost associated with any repair service provided in the US. In addition, repair times may be longer due to parts availability and overseas shipping. A US or CA address would also be required for us to return the unit to after repair. It would be best to contact the original region for servicing.

I have never seen a company so resistant to escalation before!

What will it take for them to understand this is a software issue, and not a hardware issue?

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

I know you want to see this resolved but unless I misunderstand the extraction works just fine on the factory image. Unless this can be replicated on the factory image (or perhaps a vanilla ISO downloaded from MS) they aren't going to be able to help. Something that only fails on your custom image is outside the scope of support (even if it SHOULD work and they have an edge case bug).
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    I know you want to see this resolved but unless I misunderstand the extraction works just fine on the factory image. Unless this can be replicated on the factory image (or perhaps a vanilla ISO downloaded from MS) they aren't going to be able to help. Something that only fails on your custom image is outside the scope of support (even if it SHOULD work and they have an edge case bug).
    I appreciate what you are saying, at least your reply makes some sense in that you are aware of clean machine testing and so forth.

The support center I'm engaged with, however, is categorically refusing to escalate the issue based on the region of my current active hardware. Does anyone have a US serial number I may borrow to remove this bureaucratic obstacle?

I just did try clean machine extraction and it did work. On a hunch, I installed DiskZIP on the clean machine, and the extraction failed. Now I know which software in our corporate disk image is breaking ASUS. The bigger question is though, how has ASUS managed to develop an allergy to DiskZIP, a patented disk compression technology? The crazy thing is, the issue manifests as soon as DiskZIP is installed (but before it has even been used to compress the disk, even once).

To prove a point, I compressed the clean disk image and then uninstalled DiskZIP. ASUS no longer had an allergy to the system, despite the transparent disk compression filter being still active on the machine post-uninstall. ASUS have really won themselves an award here. There is literally no rational excuse for them having managed to build such a buggy self-extractor. My larger point is, the Internet is littered with Armoury Crate installation issues. ASUS: IF YOU CANNOT EVEN GET YOUR MOST BASIC PAYLOAD EXTRACTION TO WORK, YOU CANNOT POSSIBLY HOPE TO BUILD MORE SOFTWARE ON TOP OF THAT KIND OF AN UNSTABLE STACK.

New ROGer Array

I did some more clean machine testing and identified the exact component in DiskZIP that ASUS cannot handle for some reason.

For this purpose I had to use ZIPmagic, a precursor of DiskZIP which is still maintained for security updates and patches, but otherwise does not receive new releases.

The reason I fell back to ZIPmagic is because if transparent disk compression is not breaking something, it could well be that transparent file compression is.

To disable transparent file compression in ZIPmagic (sadly you cannot do this in DiskZIP as they removed the option - I guess nobody there uses ASUS, haha!):

1) Find the toggle switch in the Start Menu, ZIPmagic program group (see the shaded region).
    2) Turn transparent file compression off.
    3) Install ASUS stuff.
    4) Turn it back on.

Guess what happened with the Armoury Crate installation, when I ran it between #2 and #4 above?

It finally worked! My hunch was spot-on - it was the chained self-extractor failure that was breaking it.

ASUS, KINDLY TAKE NOTE AND FIX YOUR BUGGY SOFTWARE!!!
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos disable archive folders.jpg  

toggle switch.jpg  

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mimarsinan View Post
    Specifically the abomination that they're calling Armoury Crate.
    I just spit Iced Tea out and barely missed my Keyboard!!

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohnny View Post
    I just spit Iced Tea out and barely missed my Keyboard!!

Unlike ASUS, the company that makes DiskZIP is responsive - and even over the weekend!

They advised me that instead of disabling the transparent file compression feature outright, I should just rename their transparent file compression DLL, so it cannot be loaded by the system (and reboot after doing so, to ensure any cached in-memory copies are discarded).

If ASUS still breaks, they wrote, where I paste verbatim, "since our code could not possibly be loaded and active under those conditions, you can rest assured they are choking on our registry configuration data alone - which is ultimately something as simple as having say 7-Zip active, instead of say WinZip active, as the preferred archive handler application in the Windows file type registry".

Seems like they knew what they were talking about. Making the change as they requested (after reactivating the transparent file compression feature), and rebooting; I actually managed to wrestle out an error code out of the ASUS app! The screenshot is attached. The message of course is as cryptic as ever.

Just on the offhand that someone from ASUS is reading all this - you guys have a VERY serious problem with the self-extraction software you have licensed!

If I have the spare time, I'll try to narrow it down to the exact registry key which makes their app go berserk!
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos Windows 10 21H1 x64 UEFI-2021-09-26-14-37-25.jpg  

New ROGer Array

Just on the very high likelihood that ASUS claim this is not their issue because its not running on their OS image, I reproduced the exact issue on their OS image as well.

There's no way out for the ASUS team on this one, other than fixing their incredibly buggy self-extractor software.

We've had Windows based self-extractors since...1992? Its been literally 30 (THIRTY) years and a hardware company STILL cannot get a self-extractor working properly in 2021.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

My predicated next step for ASUS: Support writes back "we cannot help you because you did not purchase the product in our region."

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT, BUT IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR BUGGY SOFTWARE WASTING MILLIONS OF HOURS FOR TENS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE EVERYWHERE!
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos Asus ROG Strix Scar-2021-09-26-15-05-44.jpg  

Moderator Array

Hello mimarsinan,
    Thank you for sharing this feedback with us.
    We are sorry that our local team misunderstood the issue. Your case has been reviewed for future improvement on our service.

For using DiskZip on our device, I have reported to related department for further investigation.
    We also hope to provide more option for you to try.
    Thank you.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Blake@ROG View Post
    Hello mimarsinan,
    We are sorry that our local team misunderstood the issue. Your case has been reviewed for future improvement on our service.
    I appreciate that. Clearly people parroting the same response over and over again without reviewing or escalating any of my content was neither pleasant nor constructive for anyone involved. I consider myself lucky that I was somehow able to narrow the issue down on my own; without which the issue would have remained entirely unresolved for all your clients worldwide.

For using DiskZip on our device, I have reported to related department for further investigation.
    Thank you.
    Usually a self-extractor program just extracts files and doesn't care what is installed on the system (and dare I say, for reasons of stability thus demonstrated, should not care). Even in ASUS's case the majority of the self-extractors work properly, with just a few failing (three drivers out of the tens I tried). Apparently the Armoury Crate installation, which itself opaquely downloads and extracts unknown packages; also involves a few packages which are affected by this issue. There's no way for me to determine why a few ASUS self-extractors are affected while the rest aren't - the ball is in your court with this one, and I hope you can fix it for everyone.

New ROGer Array

Hello mimarsinan,

Thank you.
    BTW I simply must let you know that despite your assurances above, I just got another email which reads:

In reviewing your case it appears that the behavior of the My App is due to compatibility issues seeing that you are not running the OEM version of windows which is optimized to bring out the best performance of the system and all Asus-pre-installed/specific apps. With this, we can only recommend that you visit our official site to download and install the needed drivers for your unit to see if this will work.

This product is also not zoned for the North American Region instead it's zoned for either Europe, the Middle East, or African Regions, and as a result, we recommend that you try reaching out to the support team in the region your unit was intended for.

They also keep calling, which is entirely unnecessary.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast