cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AiProtection Parentalcontrol is not working as it should

M_Emmoth
Level 7
Hi all.

I have a question that I'm struggling to find a solutions to. I have activated Paretal control and was blocking the internet connection during specific times for our 13 year old foster kid. But he found a way to bypass it and, frankly it was not hard to find how to do that on Google, a Youtube instructions video. So the Paretal control on this GT-AC5300, is a joke.

His computer is connected to the router using a CAT5e cabel and he is connecting to the internet through the router and the router does not see that.

If I check how many clients that are connected his computer does not show. Is the any way to block the connectivity even if the computer is connected through cabel, or do I need to buy a diffrent hardware to be able to do that?

Sure I can unplug it, but he can as easely plug it back in.

//Mattias
13 REPLIES 13

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi M.Emmoth,

Did the IP he got correspond to your settings in router setting page?
In addidtion to wire connection, may I have more details about how he bypassed paretal control?
May I have the firmware version of your GT-AC5300?
Thank you.

M_Emmoth
Level 7
I just checked the router and right now he is connected with the correct ip adress. But yesterday his computer did not show in the router, but he was still playing GT 5 and was chatting with his friends on Discord. I saw that he was connected through cable since the icon in the activity bar was correct.

I'm guessing he's bypassing the parental lock like this:
https://youtu.be/2sFD9TGYaRA

Not sure tho, don't think he managed to figure it out by himself, so I'm not entirely sure on how he did it.
But the thing that he can makes the parental controls a joke.

He's on GTA 5 with friends now and according to the router the internet should be blocked.

The firmware right now is 3.0.0.4.384_81695, going to update as soon as my home server is done with it's backup

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi M.Emmoth,

Please update to the latest firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.42643 and then check again.
Could you please check the ip on his pc while his pc is not in the client list?
Thank you.

BigJohnny
Level 13
There is always Mac filtering. Personally If it was me and he didn't respect the rules the machine would be locked down instead of internet access. Put admin controls in place where he cant change anything and if all else fails change the account pass word and log in when he is allowed and shut it down when time is up.
Thats what I like about my Netgear NightHwak. It shows everything connected and I can drop connections from it from across the planet from an app on my phone. Just have to be a little smarter than they are and if all else fails the PC can disappear. I had issues with my son pulling the same crap using his cell phone because he couldnt get past my network so every night before bed time he had to turn the phone over.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi BigJohnny,

Do you mean you had the same issue with our products? used the same way in this video to bypass parental control and the device not in the client list?
https://youtu.be/2sFD9TGYaRA
May I have the model name and the firmware version?
Did the IP he got correspond to your settings in router setting page while bypass parental control?
Thank you.

M_Emmoth
Level 7
Sorry for the late reply, doing some remodeling at home, new TV room and kitchen. So I've been busy.

The latest update fixed it for a few days but as of yesterday he was online playing after the time i had specifiedin the aiprotection. According to the router he had the same IP adress, the one I gave him through MAC binding.

So passed through the block somehow.

Any idea on how to block him out compleatly? Don't want to start arguing about it too much, since he just started to attend school everyday, so that'sa win right now.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi M.Emmoth,

The time scheduling would stop and block to establish new connection.
If the online game have downloaded resource before the time you setup, it would keep running for a period of time.
If it check the connection status again, due to time scheduling, it would be blocked.
Thank you.

I know it "should" do that, but he is playing GTA 5M online. And he was online playing about 4 hours after the parental block. And if you do a quick search on google you will find how to bypass your time shedule block. So that is clealry not working as it should.

I have linked the video I found in earlier in this thread, I wnat to know how can I make sure that the AI protection acctually does what it suppose to do, and how are you as a company planning to prevent this from working.

MAC filtering would be nice to have, sure you can spoof your MAC adress too, but it would be nice to have a setting that blocks all internet access if the mac adress doesn't exist in a ALLOW list, and that would be for both ethernet and WiFi connections.

Any tips on how to prevent this is helpful, even if that means I have to buy another device or brand, even thou I like my router.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi M.Emmoth,

Thank you for your suggestions.
May I double confirm did he bypass the parental block only once after updated to firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.42643 and his computer is in the client list of the GT-AC5300?
Did his computer still connected to the GT-AC5300 with CAT5e cable?
Could you please share a screenshot about how you set parental control?
Thank you.