cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with ROG STRIX GL502VM fan system only max speed

4legal
Level 7
I have been experiencing this problem for many months, the CPU fan goes from 0 to max rpm even in idle. If I stop the mouse, the fan stops. If I move just one window (I can't upload the video, just a pic) the CPU fan goes to maximum speed.
Thermal paste is ok (I changed it every 6 months), the CPU is really in idle as u can see, the BIOS is updated (year 2019 because ASUS doesn't like to update often, and also GL502VM BIOS is really horrible, with no advanced option). Also temperatures are ok as u can see.
I'm trying to solve this problem long since and I didn't find solutions, tried CMOS reset, clean windows install, FanSpeed, NOTHING WORKS.
I'm a computer expert but this PC makes me feel stupid, seems that fan PWM sometimes doesn't work.
Maybe this problem started when I updated the bios to 304, but I'm not sure. It's sure that this is unacceptable.

Another little thing, with that BIOS update, ASUS also disabled my onBoard Graphics (idk why) so my pc has to use only the dedicated one for everything.

I'm really disappointed, maybe I will never buy an asus rog again.
Please, help me to find a solution. RMA is not a solution.
7 REPLIES 7

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi 4legal,

Which mode(Silent / Balanced / Overboost) do you select in gaming center?
May I have a screenshot or video of the CPU fan speed(rpm) information in gaming center and the version of gaming center?
How do you think onBoard Graphics is disabled?
Please send the product serial number to me via pm.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi 4legal,

Which mode(Silent / Balanced / Overboost) do you select in gaming center?
May I have a screenshot or video of the CPU fan speed(rpm) information in gaming center and the version of gaming center?
How do you think onBoard Graphics is disabled?
Please send the product serial number to me via pm.
Thank you.

I can't select any of these mode in Gaming Center. In energy saving settings is balanced. Also in advanced settings everything is by default (minimum and maximum cpu performace, cooling system, etc.).
Gaming center does not show me the fan speed, only temperatures and frequency. The version is 1.0.12.

My onBoard graphics is disabled because it disappeared from device manger after bios update. I alreay tried to do a windows clean install but intel graphics drivers can't find the device, obviously. The func fact is that there is no any option in bios settings because, as I told you, the bios is very basic without any advanced option. So it is completely disabled by the MB.

I did a short video in HWInfo where I show the fan speed in idle with temperatures and frequencies but I can't upload it.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi 4legal,

I've received the serial number in PM.
For a short video, could you please upload to google drive and share the link to me?(available to anyone who has the link)
For onboard graphics, may I have screenshot in device manger and intel graphics drivers?
Thank you.

4legal
Level 7
Demonstration video here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Kafbi0YnHWN5ZZHsvtRBVbYkZWJXMgF/view?usp=sharing

The onboard gpu is Intel HD 530 (i7 6700HQ) and drivers that I tried to install are correct.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi 4legal,

Thank you for your reply.
I'll consult our tech team about the issues you mentioned.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi 4legal,

Thank you for your reply.
I'll consult our tech team about the issues you mentioned.

Thank you for your help, I'll wait for a reply.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi 4legal,

After consulted our tech team, could you please backup your personal files and downgrade to bios 202 via EZ flash and then check your CPU fan speed and onboard graphics again?
https://www.asus.com/supportonly/GL502VM/HelpDesk_BIOS/
If there is no issues after downgraded to bios 202, could you please update to bios 304 and check again?
If the issues are still there, please backup your personal files and refer to the instructions in the following link to reset the pc.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1013064/
Thank you.