cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the G513QY CMOS battery

memolano
Level 7
Two months ago I bought a ROG Strix G15 model G513QY (Advantage Edition). A week ago it didn’t start and it shows no light indicators, not even the one that shows that it’s connected to the A/C adaptor. I tried the typical resets holding the power button for 1 minute, with and without the battery, but it still doesn’t work. I removed the RAM and put it back in also.*

I can’t send it to warranty right now because*I bought it in the USA, but I’m outside of the country and will be for at least another four months. And the Asus center in the country where I am is closed because of “reasons” concerning COVID. I already exhausted my options talking to the meager customer service.*

The last that I’m left with is to do a BIOS reset.*Can anyone please tell me if this motherboard has a CMOS battery, and if so, where would that be located in the motherboard? How do I access it? Or if it doesn’t have one, how can I reset the BIOS?

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me. *
9 REPLIES 9

BigJohnny
Level 13
They all have a CMOS battery, unfortunately on laptops they are not easy to get to. Had to Pull the CMOS battery on my G752VY and it took a complete disassembly including pulling the motherboard as is was taped to the bottom...and I do mean complete disassembly, wasnt another thing left to take out when I got to the battery. I made an extension and it now resides in the user service area taped under one of the NVME drives so I can get to it if I need to again in the future.

BigJohnny wrote:
They all have a CMOS battery, unfortunately on laptops they are not easy to get to. Had to Pull the CMOS battery on my G752VY and it took a complete disassembly including pulling the motherboard as is was taped to the bottom...and I do mean complete disassembly, wasnt another thing left to take out when I got to the battery. I made an extension and it now resides in the user service area taped under one of the NVME drives so I can get to it if I need to again in the future.

Thanks for answering. I dont know how to do that job. I may have to pay someone to do it or wait another 4 months until I get to the states to send it to warranty.

xeromist
The symptom you describe might also be due to a failed A/C adapter. If the battery is stone dead and the adapter is not providing any power then you wouldn't get a light. If you or someone you know has a multimeter you could check if you are getting voltage from the barrel connector. Unfortunately this will not completely test the power adapter since it's possible to read voltage from an adapter that fails under load but it's something.

If you wish to try another adapter you need to make sure:
the output voltage is the same (IMPORTANT)
that the wattage or amperage rating is at least as much as yours (bigger is ok, smaller is not)
and the barrel connector needs to be the same size of course. If the electrical values are compatible there are physical adapters available to change barrel size.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
The symptom you describe might also be due to a failed A/C adapter. If the battery is stone dead and the adapter is not providing any power then you wouldn't get a light. If you or someone you know has a multimeter you could check if you are getting voltage from the barrel connector. Unfortunately this will not completely test the power adapter since it's possible to read voltage from an adapter that fails under load but it's something.

If you wish to try another adapter you need to make sure:
the output voltage is the same (IMPORTANT)
that the wattage or amperage rating is at least as much as yours (bigger is ok, smaller is not)
and the barrel connector needs to be the same size of course. If the electrical values are compatible there are physical adapters available to change barrel size.

I did check the A/C adapter with a multimeter. I even checked the port on the motherboard and it shows the right voltage.Â*

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi memolano,

Please also refer to the instructions in the following link.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1014276/
If it is still the same, please issue RMA after back to USA.
Thank you.

xeromist
Sounds like you did what you could. I think an RMA is in order. Maybe find a friend or family member in the US that can act as an intermediary?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

rupankaryaya
Level 7
memolano wrote:
Two months ago I bought a ROG Strix G15 model G513QY (Advantage Edition). A week ago it didn’t start and it shows no light indicators, not even the one that shows that it’s connected to the A/C adaptor. I tried the typical resets holding the power button for 1 minute, with and without the battery, but it still doesn’t work. I removed the RAM and put it back in also.*

I can’t send it to warranty right now because*I bought it in the USA, but I’m outside of the country and will be for at least another four months. And the Asus center in the country where I am is closed because of “reasons� concerning COVID. I already exhausted my options talking to the meager customer service.*

The last that I’m left with is to do a BIOS reset.*Can anyone please tell me if this motherboard has a CMOS battery, and if so, where would that be located in the motherboard? How do I access it? Or if it doesn’t have one, how can I reset the BIOS?

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me. *

Has your issue been fixed by replacing the CMOS?....I have an Asus G531GT and am facing the same issue with now power,no charge led and no sign of life.

Had similar issue on my G513QY today.
Tried the 60s hold few times but laptop still not charging nor powering on.
Then i plugged a usb c charger and the charging indicator is on and it powers on just fine nd work normally again.

I did noticed symptom of laptop clock out of sync in past few days, not sure whether it has something todo with weak cmos battery as well.

Has the same issue with my 513QM. I tried to put Apple MacBook USB-C charger but it didn’t help. Do I I need to. It particular one?