Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Random reboots on My Asus Advantage edition

My Laptop reboots 2-3 mins after exiting games. I have Vbios version 79208 .

At first I thought Asus ROG drivers (AMD_GFX_v27.20.22001.19001For Win10 WHQL)) would solve the issue , but reboots are happening with that driver too . So I updated to AMD supplied drivers , but reboots didn't go away .

As advised by Blake@ROG , I uninstalled armoury crate completely from my system ,including every Asus services (except MyAsus App) but reboots still happen . I am suspecting it is mostly a Power management issues (where CPU & GPU uses more power than limits due to Smart shift tech ) and GPU frequencies are going above 2500 Mhz ( Boost clock is reported as 2390 Mhz , soo going above that may cause instability ) or some bad code in armoury crate and My Asus App.

I kindly request Blake@ROG to take this issue to the Engineers , so they can sort out what the problem is . It's been 3 months but still no official reply from Asus . Expecting your reply Blake.

Thanks

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by MyRyzenWorld View Post
    Ok so above we can see confirmation to the theories mentioned, could you guys those who no longer get reboots after games but still get reboots after heavy render tasks (premier etc.), run cinebench 20 or 23 benchmark for 10 minutes, run first multi core and then single core, do you have reboots after those tests?
    I've never had rebooting after benchmarks ,doesnt matter cinebench or 3dmark

New ROGer Array

For first time ever, I had now reboot during youtube! maybe some win11/drivers bug, will see if happens again, hope it wont.

Reboot happened in youtube ... after I tried disable HPET in windows.... - Re-enabled HPET, maybe for this laptop its critical.
    Last edited by MyRyzenWorld; 11-06-2021 at 10:28 PM.

New ROGer Array

Have same problem's(kerne power) at g513, 6800m with reboot after rendering, or games with new las drivers at asus.

vBios 077321.

Three weeks ago i sent a laptop at RMA with this proble. They change system of cooling (by why? not have problem with this) and send me back. Problem's just stay.

So we all just stay and wait fix or what can I do with this ?
    Last edited by gooodorsage; 11-07-2021 at 08:54 AM.

Moderator Array

Hello gooodorsage,
    We are still collecting information and investigating it.
    We have many assumptions, like VIOS or Armoury Crate, but some user already proof that is not the cause.
    Very sorry to keep you waiting.
    Please kindly PM me our product SN.
    Thank you.

New ROGer Array

Blake,

After working LONG hours with one of the AE laptop owners and community tech veteran sirsquishy, we FIXED this user's laptop reboots.

I put the setup we made for him here:

a. Before we did the fixes, his laptop was rebooting after EVERY time he rendered in Blender or Davincy.
    B. After the fixes we applied, he ran 20 times, 20 renders, all smooth, ZERO reboots.

What we did:

1. Run at least 2-3 benchmarks and save results and temps for reference.

2. Run your usual game or render that normally causes you a reboot and note down this event for reference (write down).

3. Then in Armoury Crate we changed APU SPPT to: 75W instead 100W

4. We updated his vBios to latest as per instructions here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/commen...tm_term=q5itgw

5. We installed latest AMD GPU Drivers: 21.11.1
    6. We installed latest ASUS chipset drivers (from asus website): AMD_Chipset_DriverOnly_ROG_AMD_J_V1.2.0.118_24293
    7. We installed WIFI drivers version: 3.02.00.0192
    https://driverslab.ru/download/wifi/...02.00.0192.zip

8. Installed MPT on his windows OS:
    https://www.igorslab.de/installer/Mo..._3_7_final.exe

IMPORTANT: MPT Settings reset with GPU drivers update/installation, re-do MPT each time!

9. We adjusted his GPU TDC and Power Limit to 105W each:
    https://i.imgur.com/DIZeSVh.png

REBOOT to apply MPT Settings and after reboot activate your manual armoury crate profile, you need do it at each boot, since arnoury crate has a bug sometimes and doesn't apply properly your manual profile at boot.

*** We could test in later experiment also TDC/PPT (in MPT) limit to 120W and 130W while we keep the APU limit at 75W in Crate, which also helped avoid the reboots, but same time keep the TDC/PPT at 105W, didn't hurt too much to performance.

10. Run the benchmarks from point (1) to compare scores before and after and run the usual application that causes you a reboot to confirm no more reboots occur.

** DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE, ONLY THESE TWO PARMS.

@Blake we could confirm 20 x renders including two diff render applications, even with 3 monitors running, all smooth, ZERO reboots.
    Beforehand, he had reboot after every render he was running.

So now with this information, ASUS can take it further and hopefully, build official patch (bios,vbios, drivers etc...) to fix the problem for everyone.

The user is Chesky, from AMD AE laptop owners community, Discord Server:
    https://discord.gg/wtuzGswK

Additional user followed these instructions, not only he kept almost same great performance, but his reboots fixed and his peak gpu Hotspot temp down from 103c to 95-97c!! This user can be found on Discord if you want proof and ask him questions, his name on discord: @timthebull#7490

DISCLAIMER: We had to find a solution because we could not get a solution anywhere else. So if you do anything its at your very own risk - we suggest that before you do ANYTHING - Conduct consultation with ASUS.

Thank you!

IMPORTANT UPDATE (Nov 21, 2021):
    Those who used MPT tweak, if you changed both Power Limit and TDC, you may attempt to change TDC back to 136W and keep only Power Limit at the lower side (110W as example). We could observe that TDC limit not properly supported by the drivers/vBios as results, some games would crash/reboot at start up (as happened to @timthebull). Changing only Power Limit kept the reboot fix in tact, even if TDC set to default 136W (as we confirmed with @timthebull and @krizzy090).
    Last edited by MyRyzenWorld; 11-21-2021 at 11:29 AM.

New ROGer Array

I can confirm zero reboots after MyRyzenWorld instructions. He did more than official ASUS support and I want to thank him for a time spend.
    Still waiting for an Asus official problem resolving....

Regards
    chesky

Moderator Array

Dear both,
    Thank you for the information sharing.
    I myself really want this issue to be solved as well.
    I have reported them.

New ROGer Array

Limiting the power to 105 watt would mean that the laptop loses much performance. If this fixes the issue this might be hardware related and the fix will just be a slower laptop at the end.
    Last edited by mironicus; 11-09-2021 at 09:55 AM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by mironicus View Post
    Limiting the power to 105 watt would mean that the laptop loses much performance. If this fixes the issue this might be hardware related and the fix will just be a slower laptop at the end.
    Hello,

Well, we ran benchmarks and render tests, barely any performance loss, great thermal improvements and no more reboots.

Remember: H/W now days sometimes heavily over-powered (watts/TDPs) and reducing TDPs doesnt always means, losing real world performance.
    In fact, even at 105W the system still burst PPT well above it, its just not going too much extreme to the point where it causes power instability and random reboots, as it does on stock settings for multiple owners of this model.

We could test in later experiment also TDC/PPT (in MPT) limit to 120W and 130W while we keep the APU limit at 75W in Crate, which also helped avoid the reboots, but same time keep the TDC/PPT at 105W, didn't hurt too much to performance.

-- Once ASUS can apply official patch (firmware/bios/vbios etc..) it could then actually operate stable at higher TDP/TDC/PPT levels, but till then we gotta do what we gotta do to stop the crazy reboots and this solution proven to work until ASUS officially fixing it.

Could be lack of proper power management, could be bug in SmartShift...could be something around or excluding it.... ASUS would know better once they investigate this.

Thanks.

P.S. THIS IS NOT FACTS, BUT WHAT WE CAN SEE FROM OUR TESTS.
    Last edited by MyRyzenWorld; 11-09-2021 at 10:57 AM.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast