Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Moderator Array

Quote Originally Posted by gooodorsage View Post
    Hi, Blake.

Arleady sended(i wait 2 weeks) and wrote about it here. It's not helped problem just stay, rma-service say's "We replaced system of cooling", that's all. What I can with this? I'm just desperate now....

upd. Now, have day one stable with no reboot after blender or games.

I do 2 step's for this :

1. Update vbios at 079208 version.
    2. Lowered power limit at gpu from 130 to 110 watt, and rewrite SPPT to my graphics card.

I would like to emphasize that I did all this with third-party programs.

In stock my laptot - is unstable.
    Hi there,
    I was not informed of your RMA, so I would need to check on your case again.
    So far I am monitoring the RMA cases I know one by one and all of them have not been completed yet.
    Thank you for the update.
    Last edited by Blake@ROG; 11-22-2021 at 08:06 AM.

Moderator Array

Quote Originally Posted by ishengard View Post
    Is this fix official ? Will there be official announcement or notice globally about this ? Because in my country, the authorized service center do not have a clue how to fix it. They inspect the product and does not jave any clue what is broken. They also did not offer any solution, refund or device replacement.

It is hard to work with this kind of laptop.
    Hi there,
    If you have sent the laptop to service, please share your RMA number or SN in the PM with me.
    Thank you.

New ROGer Array

Blake, i see guys working with you directly so I will wait and see their updates and hopefully a happy end to this laptop reboots bug. Good luck to you and thank you for actively looking into this, I know you can do just as much, but whatever you do and will do to help bring this reboots issue to an end, will be appreciated by so many.

P.s. It seems as some people got confused due to some of the communication, as no clear route, one been told RMA and didn't get fixed, other got RMA and didn't get fixed, 3rd being told that now asus has new motherboard for RMA to try... I understand, it's NOT your fault Blake, you transfer what engineering team tells you, but that's why we initially suggested the possibility to remotely debug multiple cases, understand the real root cause, understand how you can replicate the problem and then issue further instructions, this is why we shared all our research from the community with you. but sadly, ASUS said "no remote access / debugging", not sure why as it could help with the investigation to your engineering team, maybe save time and money on RMAs as well, anyways -- Hope for the best!
    Last edited by MyRyzenWorld; 11-23-2021 at 08:40 AM.

ROG Member Array

I signed up to chime in on this issue; bought a G513QY "Advantage Edition" because... well, it's been years since I used an AMD GPU and it was the best laptop for my imposed budget in terms of CPU, GPU, display and memory upgradability.

And the random reboot thing was driving me insane. The laptop was feeling more like a "Disadvantage Edition", and not leaving me with a very good impression of either AMD or Asus (although I've used Asus motherboards almost exclusively for years). I very nearly returned the laptop, which can be a bit of a pain where I live.

I've got 6800M firmware *77321 and BIOS 315 (it came with 313 but I updated it almost immediately).

I could play Total War: Warhammer 2, Cyberpunk 2077 and Forza Horizon 4 without issues, then would fire up a browser only to have the laptop lock up and immediately reboot. I spent a whole day on a Zoom call for a conference without issues, then the next day two minutes after starting a Zoom call it did the random reboot again... that was most embarrassing. Then it behaved for a weekend until late the Sunday night, when opening foobar2000 made it reboot.

I tried the default Windows 10 install, a Win 10 clean install with and without the Asus software, a Windows 11 install with and without the Asus software... the stock RAM, a 64GB upgrade, all of them exhibited the same issue. Event Viewer was not terribly helpful, as kernel 41 errors just mean unexpected power loss. I tried various different driver releases.

I updated to driver 21.11.2 (non-WHQL) the day before Khabaopie posted his long post, and it was still doing the random reboot trick. Then I spotted their line about disabling hardware acceleration in Chromium-based browsers (I was using Brave)... and *bang*...!... no more random reboots.

I've been experimenting with using the Default, Silent, Performance and Turbo profiles, all seem to be behaving. On mains and on battery. I can work for a day without issues, switching from office tasks to more demanding things that are part and parcel of my job, then go home and fire up a game for a while and it behaves. I've not adjusted the power levels since experimenting with them before (and the limits imposed don't seem to stick between reboots - why does Armory Crate not remember the Manual profile was selected?)

It's been a week of me trying my hardest to cause a random reboot without issues now.

I can't say this experience has been a particularly enjoyable one... it still isn't, to some degree as if something like hardware acceleration in a browser can cause this issue, there will probably be other things which will also do it. I just haven't found them yet, and it makes me jumpy every time I do something new.

The issue is obviously still there, because if I enable hardware acceleration again it comes back. I guess since Chromium browsers always run something in the background that the interaction of the background process, hardware acceleration and "something else" is what triggers the reboot, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to begin to work out what.

edit:

One thing I've just noticed. I have an Asus ZenScreen portable monitor as well (completely forgot it was Asus) and when it is connected via the DisplayPort (USB-C), if it is turned off (either off-off or Windows set to only display on the laptop screen) and I open Brave, the GPU driver will crash. As long as there is a picture on the ZenScreen, no driver crash when opening Brave.

Initially when the screen locked up I thought it was going to do the random reboot trick, and I was about to be very unhappy. A driver crash I can live with (sort of) especially since (at least for me) it is reproducible and does not appear to happen if the screen is disconnected.
    Last edited by paradigm shifter; 11-25-2021 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Encountered an interesting issue when attaching an Asus ZenScreen.

New ROGer Array

Blake - community came up with a new very simple tweak that we could see stops reboots even on the more nasty units where almost nothing helped....
    So simple ! you open GPU-Z, and keep this little app open, during/after gaming/render, and no reboot will happen.
    I am sure this finding will help your developers/armoury crate team to see how they could use this to create a patch/solution.

Also, one of the community members found that ASUS GPUTweak II - - DOES similar effect in stopping reboots.

We hope ASUS software/firmware team is aware of these reported community solutions, so they could attempt developing a patch/firmware/bios level solution which if works out well, could save RMAs/refunds/complaints from future users.
    Last edited by Blake@ROG; 12-01-2021 at 01:58 AM.

New ROGer Array

In the ArmocryC application, I saw how in the window with the GPU, there were inscriptions "power saving mode" - something like that. After the game, the real frequencies and voltage were already written in the window, after exiting the games or the application for rendering, if there were no other applications that used graphics, these inscriptions reappeared. And at this very moment, or a little later, my computer was rebooting.

The GPU-Z utility helped me first, if it was open. These "powe saving" labels did not appear anymore and the computer stopped rebooting.

After that I found a utility from Asus, ASUS GPU TweakII, which does not give any advantages, or settings for the 6800M video card, BUT after installing it (I suppose some services are started or something else), the video card stopped going into "power saving mode "- always.

Which saved the notebook from reboots.
    In my case at the moment, the problem was in this power saving mode.

I will keep you informed if something changes.

@Blake, guys.

New ROGer Array

i'm confirming reboots stopped with gpu-z opened in background, every 4 ..5s gpu is waking from "saving power" and laptop stopped rebooting

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by gooodorsage View Post
    In the ArmocryC application, I saw how in the window with the GPU, there were inscriptions "power saving mode" - something like that. After the game, the real frequencies and voltage were already written in the window, after exiting the games or the application for rendering, if there were no other applications that used graphics, these inscriptions reappeared. And at this very moment, or a little later, my computer was rebooting.

The GPU-Z utility helped me first, if it was open. These "powe saving" labels did not appear anymore and the computer stopped rebooting.

After that I found a utility from Asus, ASUS GPU TweakII, which does not give any advantages, or settings for the 6800M video card, BUT after installing it (I suppose some services are started or something else), the video card stopped going into "power saving mode "- always.

Which saved the notebook from reboots.
    In my case at the moment, the problem was in this power saving mode.

I will keep you informed if something changes.

@Blake, guys.

i confirm this too , after one month from updating vbios 79028 with no random reboots with any kind of gpu workload , i had my first random reboos one month later this evening and it was repeatable , i tried the gpu-z method and it works as charm . also i'd like to mention that my power saving mode was lagging so often, i think that what was peventing my machine from rebooting randomly. but very very recently it statred (the power saving mode ) to behave normally and that what brought the random reboots back , thats my hypothesis.
    Last edited by musano_99; 11-26-2021 at 08:11 PM.

New ROGer Array

@Asus @Blake Installing Gpu Tweak III made changes somewhere and 6800m is prevented to go in "saving power " mode as it says in Armory Crate . Uninstalling it changes stays permanent and 6800m dont go in "saving power" mode . As from this laptop stop rebooting .. permanent , no matter what you do . Please Consider this , see what changed and please make a repair some how

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by svetoslav9999 View Post
    @Asus @Blake Installing Gpu Tweak III made changes somewhere and 6800m is prevented to go in "saving power " mode as it says in Armory Crate . Uninstalling it changes stays permanent and 6800m dont go in "saving power" mode . As from this laptop stop rebooting .. permanent , no matter what you do . Please Consider this , see what changed and please make a repair some how
    Mmmm, I was suspecting and sharing here with @Blake that I think its potentially a software/firmware/bios level fix, been thinking this way at least, now we have a additional supporting trials, might not be a fact but it support the opinion, as simple app as ASUS GPU Tweaker 3, stop the reboots for multiple people, by avoiding RX6800M going sleep after game or render is closed. Now question to ASUS engineers: why RX6800M going to sleep state causing a reboot? why its not properly switching to iGPU without a reboot occurring? thats something to investigate by ASUS team.

Game/Render ends, closed > RX6800M going sleep > Reboot, seems as it not correctly passing the task to iGPU or something. ASUS GPU Tweaker 3 wont let RX6800M go sleep which avoids the reboot. So it seems as the fix needs to be in the way that RX6800M passes the task to iGPU after closing GPU intensive application/game.

Now ASUS can use all this findings and release official patch software/firmware/bios, whatever

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING, EVERYTHING WE (COMMUNITY) TEST AND TRIAL SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS A FINAL/OFFICIAL SOLUTION, AND MAY NOT WORK FOR EVERYONE. THEREFORE WE SHARE ALL WE FIND WITH ASUS, SO ASUS/AMD COULD WORK ON AN OFFICIAL SOLUTION/FIX BASED ON WHAT WE TEST AND TRIAL. ALL OUR CLAIMS BASED ON OUR PERSONAL TESTING AND THOUGHTS/OPINIONS, NOT ENGINEERING FACTS, AS WE DID NOT DEVELOP THE HARDWARE OR THE SOFTWARE AND WE CANNOT BE SURE WHAT HAPPENING INSIDE.
    Last edited by MyRyzenWorld; 11-27-2021 at 09:02 PM.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast