Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Had my first random reboot in 11 days about 30 minutes ago. Prolonged gaming session of Total War: Warhammer 2. Closed it, opened Outlook, checked e-mail, closed Outlook fans were still going like hell, reboot when I moved the cursor.

*sigh*

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm shifter View Post
    Had my first random reboot in 11 days about 30 minutes ago. Prolonged gaming session of Total War: Warhammer 2. Closed it, opened Outlook, checked e-mail, closed Outlook fans were still going like hell, reboot when I moved the cursor.

*sigh*
    Tried the GPU-Z or GPU Tweaker workaround?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by MyRyzenWorld View Post
    Tried the GPU-Z or GPU Tweaker workaround?
    Yeah, I'll be trying that next.

Had another random reboot, just sitting idle at the desktop about 4 minutes after another bout of TWWH2.

New ROGer Array

@ASUS @Blake

The community guys shared one more hypothesis, something for you to consider while speaking with your bios/drivers dev team.

We suspect that originally, once game or render done and dGPu prepares for the sleep state, when dGPU goes power saving mode, something fails in the process, maybe a command to go sleep causes the gpu to hang and this causes a hang and a reboot.

How user with a unit like this that has reboots can replicate this theory:
    Once after you run a known program (game/render) that causes the reboot, you can get it to hang/force reboot by disabling and reenabling this PCI device:
    https://i.imgur.com/dZTs5W5.png
    As long as the pcie port does not hang (no reset command issued), the gpu will continue working.
    But, the moment you try to issue a pci device reset
    it reboots/hangs

Credit: Josh (Discord Community)

Next thing, we asked Nimez (AMD modded drivers developer) if he knows this problem and he responded:

"This problem exist way back to radeon GCN era's (2012). The only solution is Disabling ULPS Completely to keep GPU alive. This will not drain the battery unless dGPU is being used by another app or game.

This problem also exist on my current GCN laptop which used during development for driver modding. Then Disabling ULPS fixed the problem. The BSOD, system freezing, countless sudden reboot, or windows fail to boot are gone now."

However, we have confirmed that on G513QY, keep dGPU alive solves the reboots issue yet it takes 40-50% of battery life away, so this needs be figured out as well.

As we see it "low power state" is broken and causes a reboot... and keep dGPU idle make it consume 6W which cuts battery life by 50%... so we somehow need dGPU's "Low Power State" to work without cause crash/reboot.

To clarify, dGPU has few modes, as we know it:

1. Idle (no use but alive)
    2. Low Power State

So keep it idle/alive would still consume approx. 6W which causes 40-50% on-battery life cut, but if we can fix so Low Power State works and doesnt causes the reboot issue, we will gain back the battary life and avoid reboots issue.

GPU-Z and ASUS GPU Tweaker 3 keeping dGPU alive, avoids from it going "low power state" (LPS = as we suspect has a bug which causes it to reboot) which means, even if nothing uses the dGPU (Idle) it still eats approx. 6W and hence cuts battery life by 40-50%.

Which leads Josh from our Discord community to following theory, The GPU should never go into power saving mode whenever a app is using it. But in some apps, that is possible. Hence, the bug is this: Whenever an multithreaded app that is using the 6800M is suspended (debugger attached or for whatever reason), and the GPU goes into power saving mode, then resumes after. It will cause the failure to reset.

In other words, whenever an app is using the GPU and does not pause using the GPU (or the GPU does not go into power saving mode) it will not cause this bug.

So hopefully, we can fix it, so dGPU could enter low power state after gaming/render sessions, and doing so without crashing.... if this not possible to fix, then we need the solution that would basically put it to sleep/idle, less effective as this one would keep taking 6W ... and shorten battery life.

Hopefully this additional bit of information will help ASUS develop a solution.

Thank you.
    Last edited by MyRyzenWorld; 11-28-2021 at 10:11 PM.

New ROGer Array

We start more suspecting the issue rooted somewhere in AMD/GPU Drivers.....and how it handles PCI BUS/dGPU low power state....
    Last edited by MyRyzenWorld; 11-29-2021 at 06:35 PM.

New ROGer Array

Join the Discord guys testing solutions there and discussing this laptop issues and solutions:
    https://discord.gg/NwWySb43

There is an additional workaround proposed by Josh from the Discord community:
    " My final version of this hack fix, so that you dont need Disable ULPS or GPU Tweak or GPUZ. This app will keep the gpu alive when AC Power is plugged in. When AC Power is not plugged in, it will stop keeping gpu alive to allow gpu to go to power saving mode. The opposite happens with ac power plugged in. Its resource usage is very low, less than 5 MB RAM, and barely any cpu/gpu usage. You can add this to task scheduler to run on startup. WARNING: Side effect is the laptop will never successfully sleep on AC Power NO SUPPORT PROVIDED. Use at your own risk -- Download this tool: https://t.me/AMDadvantage/61 mirror: https://mega.nz/file/PtFADDiQ#Bb-nrC...C8XDz38yVl7jKI

** Josh released updated version that fixes potential memory leak:
    https://mega.nz/file/D19wVJTS#NHEkR2...p2qaK0Zqw5Vozs
    For further updates please join the Discord where Josh sharing it https://discord.gg/NwWySb43 as I can't keep and edit here for each update he shares**

## TRYING ANY COMMUNITY TWEAKS - AT YOUR VERY OWN RISK ##

Thank you!
    Last edited by MyRyzenWorld; 11-29-2021 at 07:07 PM.

New ROGer Array

Angry RMA Hell

Quote Originally Posted by MyRyzenWorld View Post

People that has reboots issue confirmed, can you consider experiment this proposed trial and share results?

I'd love to. But this stupid so called RMA has been going on for about 3 weeks now and the Service Center hasn't yet received the motherboard for replacement. What a joke
    Last edited by venome; 11-29-2021 at 02:06 PM.

ROG Member Array

I noticed something interesting today. Just another datapoint.

If playing music, without GPU-z running, the music stutters (long ~6-800ms pause, followed by two short pops of play) as soon as the monitor turns off.

If GPU-z is running, the screen can turn off and there is no stutter in audio playback.

Using foobar2000 this is reproducible - happens every time.

I've not had any sudden reboot with GPU-z running yet, but it's only been a couple of days and I've not had time to try playing a game since Sunday... and I'd gone over a week without managing to trigger a random reboot immediately before the last two occurrances.

Moderator Array

Dear all,
    Thank you for the updates.
    There has been some new findings and insight these days.
    If there is anything confirmed, I will post it here.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Blake@ROG View Post
    Dear all,
    Thank you for the updates.
    There has been some new findings and insight these days.
    If there is anything confirmed, I will post it here.
    Blake, no offense, at this point you guys should be speaking to AMD drivers team, because it seems as the issue sourced there based on the recent evidence. dGPU basically hangs, crashing and reboot the laptop when you close a game/render and dGPU trying to go "low power mode/sleep". If you keep the dGPU awake, no hang or crash/reboot.

I trust you do the right thing !

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast