cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B550F gaming wifi + 5600x = WHEA 18 errors and idle reboots

Marcus_2076
Level 8
Hi guys

I'm new so thanks for having me here. I am equally new to AMD and this is my first build. My build specs are below:

ASUS B-550F Gaming Wi-Fi
BIOS 2423
AMD 5600X
EVGA RTX 2070 ultra XC
EVGA 750GQ PSU
Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G36C16U4B 3600 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Desktop Gaming Memory Kit, 16GB (8GB x2), CL16

The problem I have is that I get reboots (no BSOD) when idling. The most apparent example of this is playing CSGO (FS windowed) and then tabbing the second screen and walking away. CSGO at this point is lower frame rate and CPU usage. Then upon reboot I get the following WHEA error.

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 0

This means very little to me but I understand this is a more than common and can potentially be a few things. Most people tend to RMA their CPU and this solves their problem (I can do this if needs be but I can still return to store).
Before I do that though I wanted to be sure that it wasn't anything else. e.g.

RAM speed. 3600MHz is technically out of spec (too fast?)
Motherboard BIOS settings (all set to docp settings)

As there was no BSOD at all I was confused so I began to see that maybe it was Power Supply Idle Control which others had mentioned. I understand this is because at low loads the PSU thinks the computer is sleeping and kills power? I have now set it to typical and can idle with CSGO...for now.

I have the option to change my CPU in store (they have been very accommodating) but do I need to? Should I test longer? The thing is I've never known how to "simulate" a proper idle short of just walking away for hours and this doesn't seem to trigger it. it's almost like it has to go from real high load to nothing for it to happen.

If anyone can offer me some advice it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone 🙂
15 REPLIES 15

Marcus_2076
Level 8
just happened again, gonna try some 3200MHz

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

BSODs and WHEA hardware error events can be caused by the following:

· Outdated or incorrect BIOS configuration

· Incorrect memory configuration

· Unstable CPU / RAM overclocking

· Outdated Windows and motherboard chipset drivers

· 3rd party software conflicts

· Faulty CPU / RAM / motherboard / PSU / power connections

1. Update the system BIOS to latest version available from motherboard manufacturer (refer to motherboard user manual for instructions on updating the BIOS).

2. Set the BIOS to use factory default settings / optimized default settings (refer to motherboard user manual for instructions on restoring BIOS default settings).

3. In the BIOS, locate the Power Supply Idle Control option and set it to Typical (this option should be available in the Advanced section of the BIOS).

4. Update Windows to the latest version and build via Windows Update. For instructions, refer to article.

5. Update to latest chipset driver from AMD. For instructions, refer to article.

6. In Windows Control Panel, select Power Options and choose the Balanced (recommended) power plan. In Windows Settings, select Power & sleep and set the Performance and Energy slider to the middle.

7. Disable non-Microsoft services and startup items using the System Configuration Tool. For instructions, refer to article.

8. Reseat CPU, RAM, and all PSU power connections (end-to-end for modular PSUs). For more instructions, refer the product’s user manual.

a. Verify RAM sticks are installed in the correct DIMM slots (for socket AM4 motherboards with 4 DIMM slots, use A2 & B2).
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

BSODs and WHEA hardware error events can be caused by the following:

· Outdated or incorrect BIOS configuration

· Incorrect memory configuration

· Unstable CPU / RAM overclocking

· Outdated Windows and motherboard chipset drivers

· 3rd party software conflicts

· Faulty CPU / RAM / motherboard / PSU / power connections

1. Update the system BIOS to latest version available from motherboard manufacturer (refer to motherboard user manual for instructions on updating the BIOS).

2. Set the BIOS to use factory default settings / optimized default settings (refer to motherboard user manual for instructions on restoring BIOS default settings).

3. In the BIOS, locate the Power Supply Idle Control option and set it to Typical (this option should be available in the Advanced section of the BIOS).

4. Update Windows to the latest version and build via Windows Update. For instructions, refer to article.

5. Update to latest chipset driver from AMD. For instructions, refer to article.

6. In Windows Control Panel, select Power Options and choose the Balanced (recommended) power plan. In Windows Settings, select Power & sleep and set the Performance and Energy slider to the middle.

7. Disable non-Microsoft services and startup items using the System Configuration Tool. For instructions, refer to article.

8. Reseat CPU, RAM, and all PSU power connections (end-to-end for modular PSUs). For more instructions, refer the product’s user manual.

a. Verify RAM sticks are installed in the correct DIMM slots (for socket AM4 motherboards with 4 DIMM slots, use A2 & B2).

Thank you for the reply and explaining the possible sources of the errors. I am leaning towards "Unstable CPU / RAM overclocking" at the moment. I have tried your suggestions and.

1. BIOS is updated to 2423 which afaik is the newest

2. BIOS is set to defaults with the exception of docp as I am not familiar with timings ( I was changing to 3200MHz today but amazon managed to break them, so it's tomorrow now)

3. I have already set it to typical and it still occured

4. Newest version of windows 10 installed and updated

5. I think I have the newest chipset drivers but going to recheck. I think windows update did this.

6. It is currently set to balanced

7. Tried disabling services and cannot reproduce the issue as it has been exclusively when using CSGO and going idle so far. I left it for 3 hours to idle today with nothing and it did not crash.

8. Reseated everything.

a. I am using 2 DIMMS atm, A2/B2

I just do not understand why I cannot reproduce this outside of this scenario: I play CSGO for a few competitive matches. tab to second screen (csgo fps drops as expected), 1-4 minutes later...reboot. and after turning off auto-restart in advanced settings it still did it, so hardware?

Marcus_2076 wrote:
Thank you for the reply and explaining the possible sources of the errors. I am leaning towards "Unstable CPU / RAM overclocking" at the moment. I have tried your suggestions and.

1. BIOS is updated to 2423 which afaik is the newest

2. BIOS is set to defaults with the exception of docp as I am not familiar with timings ( I was changing to 3200MHz today but amazon managed to break them, so it's tomorrow now)

3. I have already set it to typical and it still occured

4. Newest version of windows 10 installed and updated

5. I think I have the newest chipset drivers but going to recheck. I think windows update did this.

6. It is currently set to balanced

7. Tried disabling services and cannot reproduce the issue as it has been exclusively when using CSGO and going idle so far. I left it for 3 hours to idle today with nothing and it did not crash.

8. Reseated everything.

a. I am using 2 DIMMS atm, A2/B2

I just do not understand why I cannot reproduce this outside of this scenario: I play CSGO for a few competitive matches. tab to second screen (csgo fps drops as expected), 1-4 minutes later...reboot. and after turning off auto-restart in advanced settings it still did it, so hardware?

You would need to put the system back to complete optimised defaults and see if the issue is still there. Otherwise, any advice could potentially just be leading you up the garden path (in the wrong direction).
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

RedSector73
Level 12
Do you have both E-ATX connectors connected (top left of motherboard, above cpu) ?
What are you using to cool the CPU ?

RedSector73 wrote:
Do you have both E-ATX connectors connected (top left of motherboard, above cpu) ?
What are you using to cool the CPU ?

Hi

I only have the 8pin connected atm not the extra 4 pin as I am not overclocking the CPU and it happens under low loads but I don't really understand the full purpose of the new 4 pin other than overclocking. I am using an arctic freezer 33 esport duo to cool the CPU.

One thing I have noticed about this board ios that the bios monitoring has no sensor for DRAM voltage. Is this normal for the B550s? Nothing appears in my bios (right hand side, hardware monitor) only speed and capacity.

RedSector73
Level 12
DDR4@3600 is an overclock of types. No harm having both hooked up, try it, then leave it that way.

Your choice does not appear like can be overtightened to the motherboard, still sometimes random reboots can be the result of overtightening, 1/4 turn back off the screws might fix this issue but as said, does not seem likely, based off the video below.

RedSector73 wrote:
DDR4@3600 is an overclock of types.

I just changed over to 3200MHz DIMMs today and still got the crash 😞
Pulling hair out over this lol. Slowly starting to wonder if it is the CPU now. My RAM is ryzen compatible according to their list. Not on my mobo QVL though.

RedSector73 wrote:
Your choice does not appear like can be overtightened to the motherboard, still sometimes random reboots can be the result of overtightening, 1/4 turn back off the screws might fix this issue but as said, does not seem likely, based off the video below.

I think you gave me too much credit and I also think that can be overtightened before the thread ends on the bolt. I had assumed it was engineered to be the right tightness...I was wrong.

Exhibit A

and what it should look like

Exhibit B

I hope that poor processor forgives me. I also hope I did not overtighten it again. I literally did it touch tight this time and held the screwdriver by the shaft with my finger tips to avoid applying too much torque. fml I am a blithering idiot if this was this issue and it kinda looks like it. Me thinks I lost some money. Think the mobo is ok? fml