cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling XMP casues flickering display in Windows 10

juani
Level 7
Hi all!

When I enable the profile 1 of xmp I experience screen flickering on my display which may be due to the high voltage/wrong timing of the ram base on my research (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?86320-Enable-XMP-cause-flickering-display-Windows-10).
i'm connecting via hdmi to the on board graphics card.

1) What should I change on the BIOS in order to enable xmp without the flickering issue?
2) I had to enable xmp to see the ram at 3600 MHz, otherwise it would be lower. This issue happened when I updated the BIOS to the latest version, it was doing fine with the BIOS from factory settings. Is there another way to tweak the BIOS so that the ram goes back to 3600 Mhz, without downgrading BIOS to factory settings?

I'm new to PC building and BIOS, so any help is very much appreciated!

Specs:
ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1007
Intel i7-11700K
32gb ram (16x2) Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4
Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19043 Build 19043
Intel graphics driver: Version 30.0.100.9864 8/20/2021
7 REPLIES 7

RedSector73
Level 12
You don't mention the graphics card.

It may need this
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

BigJohnny
Level 13
Not huge fan of crucial memory. I stick with Corsiar Dominator or Gskill Trident Z.
First thing Id try is a boost in Vram to 1.4 then check the temps of the ram sticks with Hwinfo. I dont know how robust the heat sinks are. With the previous two mentioned 1.5V isnt an issue.
If that doesnt work then go into the ram timings and write down whats there for XMP then disable XMP and F10, save settings and reboot back into BIOS.
Then scroll down and and select 3600, Vram to 1.4 and replicate the primary timings at the top of the ram timings page and F10 and and reboot.

You can tweak more in tertiary timings for faster ram response later. Just to see if this has anything to do with your problem.

Using the CPU integrated graphics isnt the best of choice as you are putting more of a burden on the part of the CPU that does memory and everything else but the cores.
An increase in VCCSA and VCCIO may also help, in small increments like 100mV at a time. Increasing this will increase your CPU package temp but this may very well be your problem is this part of the chip is struggling to keep up with the ram and the integrated graphics.

If all this fails you may want to consider a discrete GPU AIC card. Just about anything will outperform the integrated and not tax your ram in CPU I/O functions. The integrated graphics are OK for stock settings with no OC of anything on a machine in which you intend to do noting more than productivity work. Start throwing an OC at anything and its a crap shoot and your graphics performance wont be very good no matter what you do. Docs, surfing etc is about all they are good for. You want to OC (XMP is above JDEC standards so its and OC) and you really need to get that load off of your uncore.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
juani wrote:
Hi all!

When I enable the profile 1 of xmp I experience screen flickering on my display which may be due to the high voltage/wrong timing of the ram base on my research (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?86320-Enable-XMP-cause-flickering-display-Windows-10).
i'm connecting via hdmi to the on board graphics card.

1) What should I change on the BIOS in order to enable xmp without the flickering issue?
2) I had to enable xmp to see the ram at 3600 MHz, otherwise it would be lower. This issue happened when I updated the BIOS to the latest version, it was doing fine with the BIOS from factory settings. Is there another way to tweak the BIOS so that the ram goes back to 3600 Mhz, without downgrading BIOS to factory settings?

I'm new to PC building and BIOS, so any help is very much appreciated!

Specs:
ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1007
Intel i7-11700K
32gb ram (16x2) Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4
Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19043 Build 19043
Intel graphics driver: Version 30.0.100.9864 8/20/2021

Hello,

Test memory stability with Karhu Ramtest or HCI Memtest Pro.

Increase VCCSA 20-30mv

Increase DRAM Voltage 20 to 30mv
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

juani
Level 7
Thanks for your quick replies!

Based on the first recommendation to stick with Corsair or Gskill, I decided to look at compatible memory for my mobo (https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z590-e-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory) and turns out that the Crucial memory I had was not even listed.
I will return it and change it for a Corsair memory that is listed as compatible: CMW32GX4M2D3600C18. I hope the issue is automatically solved after I swap the memory, otherwise I will try everything you all suggested!

@BigJohnny: I will purchase a discrete GPU AIC card, waiting for prices to be reasonable again!

juani wrote:
Thanks for your quick replies!

Based on the first recommendation to stick with Corsair or Gskill, I decided to look at compatible memory for my mobo (https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z590-e-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory) and turns out that the Crucial memory I had was not even listed.
I will return it and change it for a Corsair memory that is listed as compatible: CMW32GX4M2D3600C18. I hope the issue is automatically solved after I swap the memory, otherwise I will try everything you all suggested!

@BigJohnny: I will purchase a discrete GPU AIC card, waiting for prices to be reasonable again!

I think reasonable has left the building for the time being. If you keep your eyes peeled at the electronics superstores and get on the mail list they pop up now and then for MSRP which is still too high but nowhere near the fleabay scalpers. The 1080Tis aren't bad cards and can be found from decent people who arent trying to capitalize off the shortage for $600-$700. Id offer up one but the two Stix OC cards I had both were bought for a reasonable non scalping price. I'm not a poor man or a crook and Karma is a beotch. Sold them for $650 each in like new condition. No sales permitted here but there are channels on reddit and PPCs has a few other platform channels where B&S is permitted. You can also check OCN. You Can buy there as a new member but can post a WTB or FS until you build up some rep. They do that to keep the riff raff out.

juani
Level 7
Purchased a Corsair RAM that was listed as compatible for the motherboard, enabled XMP and now everything runs smoothly at 3600 mhz. No extra manual tweaks needed. Thanks for your help guys!

BigJohnny
Level 13
Awesome Choice. great you got it working