cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stuttering usb ports

dawg12345
Level 7
Hi,
Just got a strix z590 with stuttering ports. The usb2 and usb3 stutter or even freeze when I plug in a usb stick. Or frankly more than 2 devices.

Ports not overloaded or damaged. Tried Intel & MS drivers no luck. Deleted hidden USB devices but the problem returned.

Anyways, has anyone dealt with bad usb ports like this ?
8 REPLIES 8

Grimpak
Level 8
dawg12345 wrote:
Hi,
Just got a strix z590 with stuttering ports. The usb2 and usb3 stutter or even freeze when I plug in a usb stick. Or frankly more than 2 devices.

Ports not overloaded or damaged. Tried Intel & MS drivers no luck. Deleted hidden USB devices but the problem returned.

Anyways, has anyone dealt with bad usb ports like this ?

tried fiddling on the BIOS usb options?

yeah xhci disabled reduces the stuttering

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

The above would indicate that a device connected to the system is not fully xHCI compliant.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

how do you mean ?
(all connected devices work on other pc's)

dawg12345 wrote:
how do you mean ?
(all connected devices work on other pc's)

Hello,

Have you tried plugging in one device at a time to rule them out? If a device or devices aren't fully xHCI compliant they may well work on older systems.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Rocket_Scientis
Level 8
Try to disable Realtek onboard audio in BIOS settings for testing purposes and check if this will change anything.
ALC4080 codec might be the cause of long Windows boot sometimes, static sound via analog outputs and usb problems\initialization when you use external hard drives, few pendrives or other usb devices and even software like CRU (Custom Resolution Utility), Win10 Brightness Slider on motherboards with this audio codec.
Audio codec or not but Z590 motherboards deffinetly have usb issues which should be solved.

Rocket Scientist wrote:
Try to disable Realtek onboard audio in BIOS

Yes tried that,
Nothing in BIOS seems to do the trick except handoff and its still unstable..

I have tried many USB devices, hdd, ssd, usb sticks, hubs, nothing - no difference.

It will though only accept 2 devices before the problem starts again, but still unstable with one

The total mA used is about 110mA (total) on the ports so they are nowhere near overload. This is with kb,mouse, and usb stick.

Devmgr reported "cannot reset port" during chipset install, if that helps.

I was hoping for a device error in devmgr or event viewer but nothing is showing up anywhere to track the issue.

Thanks for the input,

Anyways, I'll send the board back, see what happens..

Well an update.
I bought a new mobo same model and everything works fine, no stuttering issues.
after 4 months I got the faulty board back, and Asus repair cant find anything wrong.
They said they flashed the USB ports with new firmaware. What an insult.
Thats because they didnt check the USB headers. It doesnt like when a pump header or microcontroller is plugged into the USB header
Anyways, sending it back with a video of the problem. And expecting a refund on a faulty board.