Does this ASUS Rog have the tpm chip

I'm trying to find out of this particular ASUS has the TPM chip -

ASUS ROG Strix G17 17.3" Gaming Laptop

Seen on this site -

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

And also this model -

Model Number: G713QM-BS71-CB
    Web Code: 15263757

I've contacted the seller on their site and get different answers, one saying yes and another saying no.

I've tried contacting ASUS to no avail.

If someone on here can show me if this model does have or doesn't have the tpm chip and the proof of it, it would be appreciated.

(Should any not see this posting, please let me know)

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

I don't have any specific knowledge but new laptops should come with at least a software version of the TPM. They may not have an actual chip but they should support the upgrade. The manufacturers knew about this requirement well before the public became aware.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Amenophis's Avatar

Thank you for your kind reply. A software version of the TPM chip??? I hadn't heard of that before. Supposing this is so, will that software version be 2.0 compatible and will Windows 11 install on a laptop with the software version in it?
    Last edited by Amenophis; 09-23-2021 at 03:33 AM.

And that folks, is the end of the story. Everyone on this place must be high as a kite!

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Amenophis View Post
    And that folks, is the end of the story. Everyone on this place must be high as a kite!
    Never could get my kite off the ground so......not very high.

As for the OPs question about everything that is a new release will most likely be capable of running win11 and will say so in the specs.
    Id be careful with BestBuy machines though. They are a little cheaper than everywhere else for a reason. They aren't the same. Check the SKU against other places. A lot of times you will see a difference. They spec order machines that are missing or have less than components that aren't the same as other outlets. This particular one G713QM-BS71-CB looks to be specific to Best Buy but it does specifically state in the product description. "Free Upgrade to Windows 11 when available"
    Last edited by BigJohnny; 09-24-2021 at 03:24 AM.

I'm glad you're not high Big John! Thanks for the pointer regarding Bestbuy. My question is, how is it that these machines are supposedly coming from ASUS themselves and if so, how is it that they are substandard?
    I've put one ASUS from Bestbuy up against THE SOURCE and both prices were the same. But this particular one I mentioned earlier is not available anywhere else. Weird but I suppose because of the shortage of chips.
    Where would you advise to buy an ASUS ROG here in Canada?

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Several large stores do this. Costco is another prime example. Sometimes the specs are basically the same but there is a different model number because something else is different like accessories or the warranty. In cases where the actual specs are different you may or may not consider them to be an issue. It might be different but the price could also reflect that. It could be a good value or a poor value. It's just worth looking out for when you are shopping.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

I'm glad you're not high Big John! Thanks for the pointer regarding Bestbuy. My question is, how is it that these machines are supposedly coming from ASUS themselves and if so, how is it that they are substandard?
    I've put one ASUS from Bestbuy up against THE SOURCE and both prices were the same. But this particular one I mentioned earlier is not available anywhere else. Weird but I suppose because of the shortage of chips.
    Where would you advise to buy an ASUS ROG here in Canada?
    Its called spec order. Best buy puts in an order for 5000 machines ASUS isnt going to turn them down. I found out myself on an ROG G751JY. On that one it lost drive abilities and had a crappy display as well as a POS wifi card. Like mentioned above they arent the only ones. Like I said double check the model numbers against whats on sites that dont do spec orders in bulk. You will find this is a common practice on a lot of devices, not just laptops. You have to dig deep as they don't want you to know its different from what you can get with exact ASUS specs. I highlighted in red the dead giveaway that its a BB spec order.

Thank you for the responses guys, though what you're saying can apply to all stores from what I understand and if so, it leaves one scratching one's head (or someone else's) as how to be absolutely sure what is what. Anyway, your suggestions and advice to be cautious is appreciated.
    Last edited by Amenophis; 09-25-2021 at 08:20 AM.

Thank you for the responses guys, though what you're saying can apply to all stores from what I understand and if so, it leaves one scratching one's head (or someone else's) as how to be absolutely sure what is what. Anyway, your suggestions and advice to be cautious is appreciated.
    Unfortunately most of the big box stores do it. Just start with the model number and compare it then compare specs to whats listed on the ASUS site. If they don't list detailed specs with an off model/SKU then move along to greener pastures. I know it can suck in Canada. We have Microcenters here that sell the real deal and for decent prices. Problem is you have to live near one as they dont ship. Lucky for me I live within an hour of 4 of them. Place my order online but have to go to the store to pick it up at will call counter. You guys take a shellacking on imports and god forbid it gets shipped from the US VIA UPS. Then you get banged for the import tariff and worse yet the astronomical UPS "Brokerage" fee for processing and collecting the tariff. I bought some lens filters from a guy in BC and the tariff wasnt that bad but the "Brokerage" charge was more than both the cost and the tariff combined. I refused delivery and they sent them back on their dime then told the guy to ship them regular mail. Didn't take much longer and no tariff and no fees.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast