cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

destroyed thread dark hero viii

OnderoCZE
Level 7
Hi. When installing the M2 ssd heatsink, the thread in the small chrome cylinder on the board was destroyed. Can it be replaced in any way?90027
8 REPLIES 8

AfterShock
Level 9
OnderoCZE wrote:
Hi. When installing the M2 ssd heatsink, the thread in the small chrome cylinder on the board was destroyed. Can it be replaced in any way?90027

should be easy since they are standard m.2 standoffs, my mobo didn't even come with them.

it's not easy right now. I don't know where to get this part.9003190032

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi OnderoCZE,

Please apply RMA, and our service center will check the condition.
However, we may charge for the damage.
Thank you.

I'd rather try to get this part.

Braegnok
Level 14
First try to re-tap the stripped threads with a tap & die after removing it from your board, you may need to drill one size up from original threads, and just get a new screw from the hardware store,..

or you can pull an M.2 stand off from your board that's not being used, or pull one from another board, if you have an old board on the shelf.

Those would be my first options, before sending it in for repair or RMA.

how many newtonmeters should it be tightened?

OnderoCZE wrote:
how many newtonmeters should it be tightened?

I was curious as to the answer and found 0.3 to 0.9 newton-meters to be the commonly suggested range for motherboard standoffs and screws, with 0.8 coming up consistently. Here's a document from Intel. It's for the amount of torque to apply to 2.5" SSD screws, but the amount of torque applied to standoffs is going to be similar. Their recommendation is 0.67 Nm, which is a pretty nice mid-point in the previously given range.

In the end, it was possible to catch up. Probably the thread is fine. Can't allow it?