cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog Strix x570 E Freeze Problem

Lucciola2
Level 7
I assembled the computer in December 2020 without encountering any problems. This until two months ago, when the PC started to have some freezes (I don't remember if after some drive or Bios update)

Symptoms: It happens more often when I'm not using the PC, or when I use google chrome, but it also happened during gaming. The PC freezes. The keyboard, mouse and microphone turn off (if I press a key on them they turn on again, but they do not give input) the monitor remains frozen on the image. If I press or hold down the computer's shutdown key, nothing happens. I can only restart it by removing power from the power supply. During this freeze on the motherboard the Qcode remains 00 and the DRAM LED remains illuminated in yellow. When I restart everything goes back to normal.

What I tried:
the only error reported after reboot is windows kernel 41 generic.
no DUMP file is created

I updated all the drivers on the system to no avail
i replaced the ram, to no avail.
i reset the cmos to no avail.
I have tried all the versions of the bios from 3000 to 4021 to no avail (now I'm stopped at 4021);
i disabled C state, tried putting power supply idle, enabled or disabled DOCP to no avail.
I did stress test of each component, ram, cpu, gpu, memories, without finding any errors (I used aida64, memtest)
I have tried disabling the TPM to no avail.

if you have other evidence for me to do I gladly accept them .. I really can not understand where the problem may be. Sry for my bad english

EDIT: today i have replace my AMD Chipset Driver V2.11.26.106 (download from asus motherboard site) with AMD Chipset Driver 3.09.01.140 (download from AMD drivers & support for x570 motherboard), another one crash..

EDIT2: i have try clear cmos, reinstall last bios version, and move ram from a2 b2 at a1 b1 without DOCP... this is last test i think

My build:
Windows 10
PSU: rog thor
MOBO: asus rog strix x570 E
CPU: Ryze 9 5900x
GPU: gigabyte 3080ti
RAM: gskill 3600 cl17 (and now corsair 3200 cl16)
SSD: samsung 970evo nvme
6 REPLIES 6

AS185
Level 10
Hey,

I'm thinking this a issue with your random access memory. First of, make sure every power connecter is attached to the motherboard.
In the BIOS, set the memory frequency to 3200MHz. It's better not to leave it on Auto settings. Make sure CSM is enabled. Check your HDMI or Display Port cable if sufficient bandwidth is going through the video output. As to this, if the monitor has a maximum of HDMI 2.0 or higher, get a cable to that output. The same applies to Display Port.
Test the PC with default settings. Refrain from overclocking the RAM. Another thought coming to my mind, is that if you downloaded some type of helping program, such as a driver application to update your drivers or anything related, it could be causing an issue now. What I would do is, save all the necessary data on an external hard drive and re-install Windows on stock settings with nothing overclocked.
Let us know
🙂

RedSector73
Level 12
Personally I would be aiming for using DOCP 3600 successfully, put the RAM in A2, B2 (which from CPU is slot 2 & 4) and Auto for everything else.

What CPU cooler are you using ?
If you can try 1/4 turn back off the screws and also make sure none of the motherboard standoff screws are overtight, just snug is all that is needed. monitor CPU temps but should not make any real difference and if does you can put 1/4 turn back.
Retest and see the error is present.

II have similar problems.
After 3 weeks of holiday, I installed the Bios 4021 and the pending Windows September Updates. Then the problems started.
At first I thought it was the bios because the 3603 and 3604 versions did not work for me in the past.
But the problems continued when I downgraded to 3602 or 4002, which had previously worked without any problems.
Luckily I have a system image from the end of July, so I was able to find out a few things.
It's not the bios that's causing the problems on my PC, but the problems came after I installed the pending updates KB4023057 and KB5005565.
Which of the two is the trigger, I can't say. Each reset of my system takes an hour, and I've done it about 20 times in the last two weeks and now I don't have the nerve any more.
I have now deactivated the Windows updates and no longer have any freezes. I am currently on Bios version 4021.
Hoping for the October update or 21H2.

Even after the Windows October patch i have the freezes.
Back to the status at the end of August and Windows Updates deactivated.

Wanderer66 wrote:
Even after the Windows October patch i have the freezes.
Back to the status at the end of August and Windows Updates deactivated.

Hi i have a similar build with 5900x and x570-e, i had some dram issues as well but because i'm completely a novice at this i had to bring it to a repair shop. The only thing they did to the extent of my knowledge is update bios to 4021, cleaned gold contacts on ram, and tested the different parts on different builds. Like trying my 5900x on a different x570-e for example and so on and so forth.

My pc was running with no issues prior to that morning when it did not display anything and dram light was on on mobo with 0d q-code. That's is why I also suspect that it might have been a windows update that caused it because i believe i had it on auto.

My pc is running now but they said it would be best to reformat and reinstall windows so i followed their instructions. I'm only using a single drive though for now so unfortunately i lost the games i had installed on my m.2 where the windows OS was installed as well. Fortunately nothing important was there.

I wanted to ask how you suspend your windows on that current version and preventing it to auto update by itself, because i keep reading that windows updates are unavoidable and will happen eventually even if you don't want it.

Since I did a fresh install, I no longer have any problems.
How to disable the automatic update is a bit difficult for me to explain in English.
You will find it with a search engine, or maybe someone else will explain it...
But disabling the update is not a permanent solution.