cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NVMe SSD running at x2 (but plenty of lanes available)

Bmacc
Level 7
I have recently bought a Hyper m.2 gen 4 card and moved my SSDs to here from the DIMM.2 slots (due to temperature issues - the SSDs were otherwise working normally in the DIMM.2 slots).

The SSDs now run much cooler and faster - with the exception of one, a 2TB Samsung 970 EVO which seems to be stuck in x2 mode (so it's running half speed). The Hyper card is located in the 3rd PCIEX16 slot (as per the manual) and I've told the BIOS that the Hyper card is there (in Data mode).

There are no problems with any of the other drives, just this one. Wonder if anyone else has had any issues like this?

Specs:

7940x on R6A (latest 3501 BIOS)
RTX 3090
4 Samsung NVMe SSDs - 960 pro, 960 evo, 970 evo, 980 pro
No other PCI-E devices
Plenty of power - 1200W PSU
5 REPLIES 5

G75rog
Level 10
Swap the 970 to another slot to see if the dual lane follows the drive or remains with the slot.

Bmacc
Level 7
Good idea - just done that and it appears to be the slot; no matter what drive goes in there it runs at x2, it's the last (4th) slot on the Hyper board.

I'm still not convinced it's not a motherboard/BIOS issue, seems like an odd issue to have with a brand new Hyper card.

G75rog
Level 10
I'm running the Apex also and had to move my gen4 hyper to pcie slot 1 and my radeon vii to slot 3 to get it working right. Don't have that problem when using my gen3 hyper.
Good luck.

Bmacc
Level 7
Were you having a similar issue with PCIE lanes? Unfortunately the 3090 is too large to go anywhere but the first slot

G75rog
Level 10
Yes, I was. Something about the gen 4 is a bit different. I run a 980 Pro on gen 3 while waiting for a new gen 4 mb to catch my fancy.Currently running ful up with 8 nvme drives.
Gave original hyper to son and got the V2, then the gen 4 to play with.