cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are my temps good

AsusRules32
Level 7
Hi all I recently upgraded from my old Asus Strix X99 motherboard to an Asus Strix B560-F gaming wifi motherboard.

I have gone from an intel i7 6800K to a intel 11700KF

I have Asus Ai Suite installed because I have a custom loop consisting of the below and my pump can get quite loud

240mm double thick rad XPSC, EKWB RGB waterblock, EKWB BayRes Combo with the D5 PWM pump
Tubing is 7/16mm flexible tube and rigged up with compression fittings 2 of them XSPC and the rest EK
1 Y fitting and a drain port.

My temps on this CPU keep going all over the place as the CPU hits turbo frequencies normally at desktop im around 41 to the mid 50-60 degrees C
when I go into games like Assassins Creed Valhalla my temps go up to 60 - 65 and then up to 70-75 when I start applications sometimes it will go all the way up to above 75 degrees C and one time in Arkham Knight and in Assassins Creed Valhalla when it was at desktop about to load the game I get up into the 89's

Is this normal as I don't want my hardware to die on me as its new.

Also Asus Ai Suite will eventually crash in some games, like Assassins Creed Valhalla if I leave both it and the game going for a while. I get an error about a service that did not start in a timely manner, This luckily doesn't affect my fans or anything though if I want to use Asus Ai Suite 3 again I have to restart my PC.

I was weary of using Asus Ai Suite 3 seeing as it used to give me BSOD on my old motherboard and CPU though I need something to control my Pump and fans otherwise the pump especially is way too loud in games at 100 percent and despite my res being full the EK premix coolant will slosh around in there. I also used the EK thermal compound that came with their waterblock.
17 REPLIES 17

xmanrigger
Level 12
Yes, those temps seem high for a custom loop. Even a cheap waterblock should yield lower temps. Sounds like you maybe forgot to apply TIM to the CPU prior to installing waterblock. Too much TIM? Or not enough pressure applied to CPU block. Most EK CPU water block installations require mounting spring caps to be 'bottomed out', meaning all 4 caps evenly screwed down to last threads. Any EK CPU block I have installed was that way, including my present EK Velosity. Heatkiller water blocks require evenly tightening screws down to a given measurement, depending on what CPU platform.

Asus AI suite isnt all it is cracked up to be. I have an i9-10850 overclocked just fine in the BIOS. Fan speed also controlled by BIOS. I actually tried AI Suite with this build, but ditched it as it was causing more grief than it is worth to me.

To control your fans, buy a powered fan hub, connect your fans to it, and plug the hub's lead into to CPU fan header. You can then control fans from the BIOS. Being you have a custom loop, and if your mobo has temp sensor headers, plug Hub's lead into whatever fan header (usually Chass_1) can utilize the Temp Sensor. That way fan speed wont fluctuate as much. Having it bound to the CPU Temp can be very annoying.

I am not a fan of using the fan headers to power more than one fan. Using a fan hub doesnt rob your mobo of power. It only reports a signal to mobo as to the RPM of fans plugged into the Hub.

Hope that helps.
GUTS: ROG Strix Z490-A / i9-10850 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ Royal 4000mhz / WD Black 1TB M.2 - 2TB Ki...

WATER: EK Velocity Strike - CPU / EK-Quantum Vector - GPU / 2X Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 360 Radiators / XSPC Photon Rez / D5 Pump / DISTILLED WATER + Silver Coil

xmanrigger wrote:
Yes, those temps seem high for a custom loop. Even a cheap waterblock should yield lower temps. Sounds like you maybe forgot to apply TIM to the CPU prior to installing waterblock. Too much TIM? Or not enough pressure applied to CPU block. Most EK CPU water block installations require mounting spring caps to be 'bottomed out', meaning all 4 caps evenly screwed down to last threads. Any EK CPU block I have installed was that way, including my present EK Velosity. Heatkiller water blocks require evenly tightening screws down to a given measurement, depending on what CPU platform.

Asus AI suite isnt all it is cracked up to be. I have an i9-10850 overclocked just fine in the BIOS. Fan speed also controlled by BIOS. I actually tried AI Suite with this build, but ditched it as it was causing more grief than it is worth to me.

To control your fans, buy a powered fan hub, connect your fans to it, and plug the hub's lead into to CPU fan header. You can then control fans from the BIOS. Being you have a custom loop, and if your mobo has temp sensor headers, plug Hub's lead into whatever fan header (usually Chass_1) can utilize the Temp Sensor. That way fan speed wont fluctuate as much. Having it bound to the CPU Temp can be very annoying.

I am not a fan of using the fan headers to power more than one fan. Using a fan hub doesnt rob your mobo of power. It only reports a signal to mobo as to the RPM of fans plugged into the Hub.

Hope that helps.

I think you might be right with the block pressure applied, I didn't really know how to install it as its the first EK block I have had, Before that I had an XSPC raystorm V3 block. I applied the compound I got with the EK block and applied about a pea sized blob to the middle and then put the block on. I didn't know the plastic washers go underneath the poles that screw into the backplate on the mobo side until after I had installed it. So eventually I will have to fix that. I updated to the latest bios which helped a little.

AsusRules32 wrote:
I think you might be right with the block pressure applied, I didn't really know how to install it as its the first EK block I have had, Before that I had an XSPC raystorm V3 block. I applied the compound I got with the EK block and applied about a pea sized blob to the middle and then put the block on. I didn't know the plastic washers go underneath the poles that screw into the backplate on the mobo side until after I had installed it. So eventually I will have to fix that. I updated to the latest bios which helped a little.

One of the biggest arguments in PC building..... TIM application.

There are those that swear by the 'pea' method, '+' method, or just spread the **** properly.

"just spread the **** properly" Bottom feeder TIM can yield better results than top tier TIM.

Yes, spread an even thin layer/film across the entire surface of the IHS on CPU. An old credit/bank card works great. All you want to accomplish is to fill the microscopic voids/imperfections in the two flat surfaces. You only want enough excess to do the same to the mating surface. Theoretically, if both surfaces were perfectly flat, no TIM would be required.

Here is a good analogy; You just spent however many hours carefully lapping your CPU IHS and cooler cold plate. Whether it be air, water, or Ln2. After all that time and tedious work, you **** out a glob of TIM and 'call er good'.

What is the difference? Why do something half-assed when it is just as easy to do it right?

Try that with liquid metal and see how well it works out. DISLAIMER: WAIT....DONT DO THAT.
GUTS: ROG Strix Z490-A / i9-10850 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ Royal 4000mhz / WD Black 1TB M.2 - 2TB Ki...

WATER: EK Velocity Strike - CPU / EK-Quantum Vector - GPU / 2X Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 360 Radiators / XSPC Photon Rez / D5 Pump / DISTILLED WATER + Silver Coil

xmanrigger wrote:
"just spread the **** properly"
Yes, spread an even thin layer/film across the entire surface of the IHS on CPU. An old credit/bank card works great. All you want to accomplish is to fill the microscopic voids in the two flat surfaces. If both surfaces were perfectly flat, no TIM would be required.

+1 for this method works on every CPU from early 80's onward. No thinking required, just do and profit.

xmanrigger wrote:

Hope that helps.

Dude thanks so much you were 100 percent correct, in my rush to boot up my new rig I didn't tighten the block down much at all, surprised I didn't kill my CPU. I am now getting temps in the 30's at desktop a vast improvement lowest i've seen is 26 degrees C.

Also helps when you look up the instructions as I also had the washers in the wrong place now everything is how it should be.

I may of needed more compound too which I added.

I will have to see if I still have issue with Ai suite and try some games though looks like my temp issues are solved.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi AsusRules32,

May I have the bios version, the AI suite version and a screenshot of the error message?
How long did you play Assassins Creed Valhalla and got AI suite crash error message?
Have you restored bios settings to all default and it still occurred?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi AsusRules32,

May I have the bios version, the AI suite version and a screenshot of the error message?
How long did you play Assassins Creed Valhalla and got AI suite crash error message?
Have you restored bios settings to all default and it still occurred?
Thank you.

I recently updated to the latest bios which is 1017

I don't know where you check the Asus Ai Suite version the only version part of the program lists other parts of the program like EZ update all I know is that its
Ai suite 3

as for the other bundled software I have
EZ update 3.00.13
Performance and Power Saving Utilities 2.00.66
System information 2.00.11

I played for about 30 minutes to an hour just to check how it would perform as this is a recent update/computer build.

I think bios settings were reset when I updated the bios.

Another thing to note is that I can get these error messages when the system is at desktop and idle, I left my PC on overnight and in the morning when I turned my monitors back on I see about 19-20 message boxes telling me a server exception occurred, the other error box was something about the server not responding in a timely manner and the only way to fix that one is resetting my computer.

It sad cause I love Asus hardware and think you guys do an awesome job there I just wish the software was as good. Lately I just shutdown Ai Suite and use another program like CPUID hardware monitor to monitor temps, though that program might be off in temps.

BigJohnny
Level 13
I try to stay below 80 which you shouldn't have a problem doing. A bit of advice, don't use any AI OC or auto Vcore. Goes way too high on anything 10 series and later! I run a 10980XE at 4.8GHz all 18 cores and stay in the 70s under heavy load but its an all core manual overclock and manual Vcore. Only time I hit 90 is the few short runs I did at 5.1 GHz all 18 cores. I just bumped up the multiplier on my first run and about crapped my drawers when I saw 1.414 Vcore at 4.7 GHz. VID table is just too high. Make sure the ASUS enhancement is turned off too. Download and install Hwinfo and see where your Vcore is going. If you leave it to any auto mode or AI OC its gonna get hot.

My first piece of advice though is get rid of AI Suite. You dont want it controlling your OC and if you use the MOBO fan headers for control that can be set up in the BIOS.

BigJohnny wrote:
I try to stay below 80 which you shouldn't have a problem doing. A bit of advice, don't use any AI OC or auto Vcore. Goes way too high on anything 10 series and later! I run a 10980XE at 4.8GHz all 18 cores and stay in the 70s under heavy load but its an all core manual overclock and manual Vcore. Only time I hit 90 is the few short runs I did at 5.1 GHz all 18 cores. I just bumped up the multiplier on my first run and about crapped my drawers when I saw 1.414 Vcore at 4.7 GHz. VID table is just too high. Make sure the ASUS enhancement is turned off too. Download and install Hwinfo and see where your Vcore is going. If you leave it to any auto mode or AI OC its gonna get hot.

My first piece of advice though is get rid of AI Suite. You dont want it controlling your OC and if you use the MOBO fan headers for control that can be set up in the BIOS.

I'm running mine all at stock cause this CPU is more than fast enough for me. Just had temp issues and issues with Ai Suite which may be solved now. Helps when you tighten down your waterblock. This is the first time I have owned any EK waterblock and it doesn't come with instructions you have to scan a QR code on the box and go to the internet to get the instruction manual.

I turned off Asus Optimisations under Ai section in bios and told it to use intels specifics incase that was a little too high for the CPU.