cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fully uninstall and clean out Asus Aura?

Zeroed85
Level 8
Does anybody know what the accepted method is to fully clear out Asus Aura software and it's associated software?
11 REPLIES 11

katlani
Level 9
the official documentary is here:

https://www.asus.com/campaign/aura/upload/download/20180115070606_m1.pdf
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1036313/

never tried it before but there used to be an ASUS Aura cleaner utility to run after you have uninstalled the software, so any remains will be removed.
It is no longer hosted anywhere as far as my search goes, though I have backed it up on my side back then..

I have uploaded it for you here:

https://gofile.io/d/6cNhRl

Alternatively or more likely in addition, it is quite possible that the Aurmoury Crate Uninstall Tool is also removing ASUS Aura, or at least some services of it, though i would try that after the above. This one should be available on your respective motherboard page.

Version 1.1.5.0
2021/08/13 496.22 KBytes
Armoury Crate Uninstall Tool
Use the Uninstall tool to remove Armoury Crate and AURA Creator related components if encounter any issue that need to re-trigger Armoury Crate & AURA Creator Installer to fix.

I would then check the obvious locations for remains like Program Files / Program Files (x86) / AppData [Local/Roaming] / ProgramData / etc..
Finally, run a registry cleanup like CCleaner to get rid of obsolete registry keys.

So, if it was up to me:

1. Uninstall the software from Apps of Windows 10 regularly. Restart.
2. Run the ASUS Aura Cleaner utility. Restart.
3. Run the ASUS Armoury Crate Uninstall Tool just in case it replaces the above or able to remove services that the above cannot (what is there to lose if you dont have that software anyway or you are about to switch into it?). Restart
4. Remove remains from the above mentioned locations.
5. Run a registry cleanup utility like CCleaner. Restart
6. Install desired software now.

BigJohnny
Level 13
Its PITA but what worked for me was to uninstall it then restart. Find all the ophaned folders and delete them then run Ccleaner. The Aura cleaner is just a short version of Ccleaner that only looks for aura crap. I was suprised how many orphaned files were left behind and really surprised by the 20 or so registry entries. Took me the better part of a day to find all the orphans. Only other alternative is a clean install of the OS that suck bawlz.

Zeroed85
Level 8
Asus Armory Crate uninstaller worked. It cleared out everything except the the Aura app itself. I suppose many of the processes in Aura are the same as in Armory Crate and likely why the AC uninstaller tool works...

Aura is gone and I've installed Armory Crate. The issue I currently face is that the Armory Crate does not show in my standard user account start menu and I cannot find the launcher .exe anywhere. Usually when an admin account installs a program but does not copy the start menu shortcut to all user accounts you can copy it over from the start menu folders but Armory Crate is no where to be found....

katlani
Level 9
Is Armoury Crate a UWP application?
Maybe you can follow the auto start launcher path from Startup of Task Manager, that i guess runs when windows starts.

Personally, i'm still using the latest stable ASUS Aura version that does not include any third party external applications to support memory DIMMs lightning, as i only use a static color for both my motherboard and gfx card (no light DIMMs, no strips in my system).

jlarmstr
Level 7
Zeroed85 wrote:
Does anybody know what the accepted method is to fully clear out Asus Aura software and it's associated software?

I have tried every tool to remove Asus software as I can find. I made the horrid mistake of installing it (Armoury Crate) and, after bogging my system down to a crawl, causing all sorts of anti-cheat false positives blocking games from running, and severe graphics and audio glitches I had had enough, the problem once this cesspool sludge software oozes onto your system it is basically impossible to undo it.

Your only hope is a complete clean install, which fixed everything for me. I would even go so far as to completely clean erase and zero out any drive that contained said cesspool sludge -- just to be safe.

jlarmstr wrote:
I have tried every tool to remove Asus software as I can find. I made the horrid mistake of installing it (Armoury Crate) and, after bogging my system down to a crawl, causing all sorts of anti-cheat false positives blocking games from running, and severe graphics and audio glitches I had had enough, the problem once this cesspool sludge software oozes onto your system it is basically impossible to undo it.

Your only hope is a complete clean install, which fixed everything for me. I would even go so far as to completely clean erase and zero out any drive that contained said cesspool sludge -- just to be safe.

I poked around in the Armory Crate software but decided to roll back to my System image I made before installing it. I really only want the motherboard plugin capability with Corsair CUE 4. The old Aura provides that.

jlarmstr wrote:

LOL.. good one.

Zeroed85 wrote:
I poked around in the Armory Crate software but decided to roll back to my System image I made before installing it. I really only want the motherboard plugin capability with Corsair CUE 4. The old Aura provides that.

Still using the original AURA latest stable version (not the actual latest).
Is the new one really that bad, being flagged as cheats in game and slows the machine down?
I was thinking of doing the switch someday or on a new machine.

katlani wrote:
LOL.. good one.

Still using the original AURA latest stable version (not the actual latest).
Is the new one really that bad, being flagged as cheats in game and slows the machine down?
I was thinking of doing the switch someday or on a new machine.

I didn't know anything about the latest AURA causing slow downs, where did you hear that? Which version of AURA are you using?

Zeroed85 wrote:
I didn't know anything about the latest AURA causing slow downs, where did you hear that? Which version of AURA are you using?

Long back, the latest version of AURA before Armoury Crate caused anti cheat flags in gaming, installed 3rd party applications in order to support memory DIMM lightning, and took far more resources (CPU utlilization mostly), hence the most recommended one to be used in case you do not need / have a problem with memory DIMM lightning would be 1.06.17.

Some details in this main thread, specifically this page:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?108158-AURA-SYNC-1-07-35-Report-any-issues-here/page43

As for Armoury Crate creating any of the above problems, i'm not aware as i have never tried it / followed the talk around it.