cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rampage VI Extreme random freezes

NoBlackThunder
Level 7
Ok so i have an issue ... and no idea what i should do anymore ... So i have an ASUS rampage Extreme VI with a core i9 10920x

Nothing is overclocked and 99.9% of the time the system is stabel .. but i get those random freezes .. sometimes right after boot 20 seconds after windows has loaded .. other times far into a gaming session.

its that kind of system hang where numlock does not react etc ... At first it thought it was my ram so i exchanged all of my 64 gb ram and ran several Memory test .. sometimes when i used windows Memory test it would freeze there too .. other times .. it would not freeze and just work fine ..

But the main issue with these feezes is .. sometimes it happens 5-6 times a day .. but often it takes weeks to month before the hang happens ...

I have no spare parts to test anthing else and i have no way of reliably causing the freezes ... so waiting a month for a freeze to happen is kinda crazy.

Bios and drivers are all up to date and freezes dont seem to care if the systems runs at 100 % load for hours ... because its as much likely to happen with no load at all ....

So while i also broke my foot .. i cant send the parts back to the seller that might test the parts ( and i doubt they find something because they are not spending several month to troubleshoot this ..and if they cant find anything they just going to send the parts back to me anyways ....

So any ideas are really something i would like to hear ..

BTW full reformat of the systems right now is out of the question .. that is actually already planned once win 11 hits actually .. and not going to format multible times 😛 takes far to long to set up everything
31 REPLIES 31

restsugavan
Level 13
There are missing systems configuration components details to answer mate.

1. What is your system spec and BIOS revision do you use ?

2. What kind of primary disk on your system ( HDD / SSD / NVME / VROC / RAID ? ) ?

If you provide more information details , many friends here could help you better .
W11CANARY 26085.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007006 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E OFFICIAL BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 551.86 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

restsugavan wrote:
There are missing systems configuration components details to answer mate.

1. What is your system spec and BIOS revision do you use ?

2. What kind of primary disk on your system ( HDD / SSD / NVME / VROC / RAID ? ) ?

If you provide more information details , many friends here could help you better .

1. bios v3501 , Core i 9 10920x , Asus Geforce 3080, Gskill ram rgb version
2. Samsung Pro 970 no raid

windows 10 pro up to date

1000 watt power supply etc ...

not sure what else to mention

Int8bldr
Level 11
@NoBlackThunder,

It could be the right side RAM banks.

A known problem with some Rampage 6 Extreme (not the encore) boards is that the moment you put any ram stick to the right of the CPU you get random lock ups.

The solution is to ONLY populate the LEFT side memory slots (i.e. left of the CPU) and NOT to put any RAM modules on the right side.

I and many others had this symptoms and eventually discovered this root cause. It was an extremely difficult root cause to find, because the lock ups are so random and just happens at any time uncorrelated to anything (at idle, at load, could take a week or an hour in-between lock ups...) - extremely frustrating - but the solution is nothing to the right of the CPU.

I should have RMA-d my board but by the time I found the root cause it was too late...

Int8bldr wrote:
@NoBlackThunder,

A known problem with some Rampage 6 Extreme (not the encore) boards is that the moment you put any ram stick to the right of the CPU you get random lock ups.

The solution is to ONLY populate the LEFT side memory slots (i.e. left of the CPU) and NOT to put any RAM modules on the right side.

I and many others had this symptoms and eventually discovered this root cause. It was an extremely difficult root cause to find, because the lock ups are so random and just happens at any time uncorrelated to anything (at idle, at load, could take a week or an hour in-between lock ups...) - extremely frustrating - but the solution is nothing to the right of the CPU.

I should have RMA-d my board but by the time I found the root cause it was too late...

uhhh ... odd ... somehow this seems sort of fitting ? i mean the issues might have started after i upgraded to 64 gb ram from 32 .... but i cant just cut my memory in half 😞 and the ram was expensive cant buy another 64 gb

Int8bldr wrote:
@NoBlackThunder,

I Want to say thank you for your post. I know it is an older thread, but I built my system a few years ago and gave it to my daughter. Random crashes have increased drastically over the years. Last week I even disassembled the entire thing, cleaned both loops and reassembled. Still crashed, I found your post, removed the ram from the right side, my daughter streamed last night for 4 hours with 0 crashes. Was crashing randomly every 30 minutes to an hour before.

https://youtu.be/3bhj0pcweLE The PC I built.

Thanks again,
Richard

restsugavan
Level 13
upgraded to 64 gb ram from 32

Which method do you upgrade ?

1) Replace the old kits ( 8 or 4 sticks ) with the new kit ( 8 or 4 sticks ) which you have purchase.

These method I assume you have select 4 or 8 sticks package which DDR4 RAM OEM had been testing to meet Intel X.M.P. 2.0 before.
The problem could coming from your motherboard RAM slots or RAM sticks on package.

2) Install addition DIMMs ( 8 or 4 sticks ) on the board without checking both kits timing.

If the scenario was 2) Please exchange or refund the new DDR4 kit then buy the new kit with ASUS memory qualify guide below.
ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME_Memory QVL.xlsx (asus.com)
W11CANARY 26085.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007006 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E OFFICIAL BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 551.86 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

restsugavan wrote:
Which method do you upgrade ?

1) Replace the old kits ( 8 or 4 sticks ) with the new kit ( 8 or 4 sticks ) which you have purchase.

These method I assume you have select 4 or 8 sticks package which DDR4 RAM OEM had been testing to meet Intel X.M.P. 2.0 before.
The problem could coming from your motherboard RAM slots or RAM sticks on package.

2) Install addition DIMMs ( 8 or 4 sticks ) on the board without checking both kits timing.

If the scenario was 2) Please exchange or refund the new DDR4 kit then by the new kit with ASUS memory qualify guide below.
ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME_Memory QVL.xlsx (asus.com)

i at first upgrade just 32 gb with a mix of sticks from 2017 and 2021 .... though i thought there might have been some issues with those 2017 sticks .. so i bought another 32 gb of 100% matching memory .. and the exact same .. There is no issues with those rams because i did extensive memory testing with several programs over several days without issues .. and memory can be ruled out .. so in my mind its ether the motherbord og the CPU ( that is pretty new too and contains the memory manangment controller) or the bios .. but the bios was both upgraded and for to be sure reset once i installed all 2021 64 gb ram sticks ..

The idea buying another set of 2021 ram was because that the 2017 sticks might have been different chips with different timings etc ..

NoBlackThunder wrote:
i at first upgrade just 32 gb with a mix of sticks from 2017 and 2021 .... though i thought there might have been some issues with those 2017 sticks .. so i bought another 32 gb of 100% matching memory .. and the exact same .. There is no issues with those rams because i did extensive memory testing with several programs over several days without issues .. and memory can be ruled out .. so in my mind its ether the motherbord og the CPU ( that is pretty new too and contains the memory manangment controller) or the bios .. but the bios was both upgraded and for to be sure reset once i installed all 2021 64 gb ram sticks ..

The idea buying another set of 2021 ram was because that the 2017 sticks might have been different chips with different timings etc ..

The memory die inside those sticks may manufacture by different OEM. There are many same product ( Quad channel DDR4 kits )
from same OEM but different lot no. used different DRAM chip ( Some from SAMSUNG , SK-Hynix , Micron , ... etc ).

I recommend you to use each package ( choose 2017 or 2021 one package ) for system stability.

Mixing both quad channel kits may suffer from freezing or hang.

restsugavan wrote:
The memory die inside those sticks may manufacture by different OEM. There are many same product ( Quad channel DDR4 kits )
from same OEM but different lot no. used different DRAM chip ( Some from SAMSUNG , SK-Hynix , Micron , ... etc ).

I recommend you to use each package ( choose 2017 or 2021 one package ) for system stability.

Mixing both quad channel kits may suffer from freezing or hang.

thats why i bought other 32 gb too after i had 64 ... because the first 32 where from 2017 and i though about the exact same ... so now i have 2 kits from jan 2021 that should have the exact same dye ... that said it seems to have helped a bit with crashes .. but i still experiance random crashes even though all 64 gb are from the same batch with serial numbers +1 from the other sett