Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31
  1. #1
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    15

    Asus Rampage VI Extreme random freezes

    Ok so i have an issue ... and no idea what i should do anymore ... So i have an ASUS rampage Extreme VI with a core i9 10920x

    Nothing is overclocked and 99.9% of the time the system is stabel .. but i get those random freezes .. sometimes right after boot 20 seconds after windows has loaded .. other times far into a gaming session.

    its that kind of system hang where numlock does not react etc ... At first it thought it was my ram so i exchanged all of my 64 gb ram and ran several Memory test .. sometimes when i used windows Memory test it would freeze there too .. other times .. it would not freeze and just work fine ..

    But the main issue with these feezes is .. sometimes it happens 5-6 times a day .. but often it takes weeks to month before the hang happens ...

    I have no spare parts to test anthing else and i have no way of reliably causing the freezes ... so waiting a month for a freeze to happen is kinda crazy.


    Bios and drivers are all up to date and freezes dont seem to care if the systems runs at 100 % load for hours ... because its as much likely to happen with no load at all ....


    So while i also broke my foot .. i cant send the parts back to the seller that might test the parts ( and i doubt they find something because they are not spending several month to troubleshoot this ..and if they cant find anything they just going to send the parts back to me anyways ....


    So any ideas are really something i would like to hear ..

    BTW full reformat of the systems right now is out of the question .. that is actually already planned once win 11 hits actually .. and not going to format multible times :P takes far to long to set up everything

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array restsugavan PC Specs
    restsugavan PC Specs
    MotherboardRAMPAGE VI EXTREME BIOS 3501 MOD
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 7980XE 2.60GHz
    Memory (part number)64GB GSKILL 3.2 GHz 16-16-18-36 2T
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG POSEIDON 1080Ti
    MonitorSAMSUNG ODESSEY G9 NEO 49 Firmware 1005.1
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 1TB x 3
    Storage #2WD 4TB External HDD
    CPU CoolerNZXT KRAKEN 62
    CaseCorsair Carbine 540
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Keyboard Microsoft
    Mouse Microsoft
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Sony
    OS Windows 11 Insider Preview 22504.1010
    Network RouterD-LINK
    restsugavan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Reputation
    92
    Posts
    744

    There are missing systems configuration components details to answer mate.

    1. What is your system spec and BIOS revision do you use ?

    2. What kind of primary disk on your system ( HDD / SSD / NVME / VROC / RAID ? ) ?

    If you provide more information details , many friends here could help you better .
    Windows 11 22H2 Build 22504.1010 Core i9 7980XE 02006COA MCU 2021-06-16 R6E 3501 MODDED BIOS TPM 2.0 Enabled VROC 7.6.0.1023 + RST 18.31.1.5256 ME FW 11.12.86.1877 DV 2131.1.4.0 64GB DDR4 3200 XMP POSEIDON 1080i GTX NVIDIA Driver 510.31 WHQL 3TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS OMS Driver 18.36.4.1022 WHQL i219 V OROM 0.1.00 BA 0.1.16 12.19.1.37 WHQL AQC 107N FW 3.1.121 AQC 3.1.4.0 WHQL Realtek HD 6.0.9264.1 WHQL SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G9 49 NEO FW 1006 VESA HDR 2000 DP

  3. #3
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Reputation
    16
    Posts
    151

    @NoBlackThunder,

    It could be the right side RAM banks.

    A known problem with some Rampage 6 Extreme (not the encore) boards is that the moment you put any ram stick to the right of the CPU you get random lock ups.

    The solution is to ONLY populate the LEFT side memory slots (i.e. left of the CPU) and NOT to put any RAM modules on the right side.

    I and many others had this symptoms and eventually discovered this root cause. It was an extremely difficult root cause to find, because the lock ups are so random and just happens at any time uncorrelated to anything (at idle, at load, could take a week or an hour in-between lock ups...) - extremely frustrating - but the solution is nothing to the right of the CPU.

    I should have RMA-d my board but by the time I found the root cause it was too late...

  4. #4
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    15

    Quote Originally Posted by restsugavan View Post
    There are missing systems configuration components details to answer mate.

    1. What is your system spec and BIOS revision do you use ?

    2. What kind of primary disk on your system ( HDD / SSD / NVME / VROC / RAID ? ) ?

    If you provide more information details , many friends here could help you better .

    1. bios v3501 , Core i 9 10920x , Asus Geforce 3080, Gskill ram rgb version
    2. Samsung Pro 970 no raid

    windows 10 pro up to date


    1000 watt power supply etc ...

    not sure what else to mention

  5. #5
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    15

    Quote Originally Posted by Int8bldr View Post
    @NoBlackThunder,

    It could be the right side RAM banks.

    A known problem with some Rampage 6 Extreme (not the encore) boards is that the moment you put any ram stick to the right of the CPU you get random lock ups.

    The solution is to ONLY populate the LEFT side memory slots (i.e. left of the CPU) and NOT to put any RAM modules on the right side.

    I and many others had this symptoms and eventually discovered this root cause. It was an extremely difficult root cause to find, because the lock ups are so random and just happens at any time uncorrelated to anything (at idle, at load, could take a week or an hour in-between lock ups...) - extremely frustrating - but the solution is nothing to the right of the CPU.

    I should have RMA-d my board but by the time I found the root cause it was too late...

    uhhh ... odd ... somehow this seems sort of fitting ? i mean the issues might have started after i upgraded to 64 gb ram from 32 .... but i cant just cut my memory in half and the ram was expensive cant buy another 64 gb

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array restsugavan PC Specs
    restsugavan PC Specs
    MotherboardRAMPAGE VI EXTREME BIOS 3501 MOD
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 7980XE 2.60GHz
    Memory (part number)64GB GSKILL 3.2 GHz 16-16-18-36 2T
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG POSEIDON 1080Ti
    MonitorSAMSUNG ODESSEY G9 NEO 49 Firmware 1005.1
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 1TB x 3
    Storage #2WD 4TB External HDD
    CPU CoolerNZXT KRAKEN 62
    CaseCorsair Carbine 540
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Keyboard Microsoft
    Mouse Microsoft
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Sony
    OS Windows 11 Insider Preview 22504.1010
    Network RouterD-LINK
    restsugavan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Reputation
    92
    Posts
    744

    Lightbulb Freeze unstable from memory upgrade

    upgraded to 64 gb ram from 32
    Which method do you upgrade ?

    1) Replace the old kits ( 8 or 4 sticks ) with the new kit ( 8 or 4 sticks ) which you have purchase.

    These method I assume you have select 4 or 8 sticks package which DDR4 RAM OEM had been testing to meet Intel X.M.P. 2.0 before.
    The problem could coming from your motherboard RAM slots or RAM sticks on package.

    2) Install addition DIMMs ( 8 or 4 sticks ) on the board without checking both kits timing.

    If the scenario was 2) Please exchange or refund the new DDR4 kit then buy the new kit with ASUS memory qualify guide below.
    ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME_Memory QVL.xlsx (asus.com)
    Last edited by restsugavan; 09-28-2021 at 10:24 AM.
    Windows 11 22H2 Build 22504.1010 Core i9 7980XE 02006COA MCU 2021-06-16 R6E 3501 MODDED BIOS TPM 2.0 Enabled VROC 7.6.0.1023 + RST 18.31.1.5256 ME FW 11.12.86.1877 DV 2131.1.4.0 64GB DDR4 3200 XMP POSEIDON 1080i GTX NVIDIA Driver 510.31 WHQL 3TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS OMS Driver 18.36.4.1022 WHQL i219 V OROM 0.1.00 BA 0.1.16 12.19.1.37 WHQL AQC 107N FW 3.1.121 AQC 3.1.4.0 WHQL Realtek HD 6.0.9264.1 WHQL SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G9 49 NEO FW 1006 VESA HDR 2000 DP

  7. #7
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    15

    Quote Originally Posted by restsugavan View Post
    Which method do you upgrade ?

    1) Replace the old kits ( 8 or 4 sticks ) with the new kit ( 8 or 4 sticks ) which you have purchase.

    These method I assume you have select 4 or 8 sticks package which DDR4 RAM OEM had been testing to meet Intel X.M.P. 2.0 before.
    The problem could coming from your motherboard RAM slots or RAM sticks on package.

    2) Install addition DIMMs ( 8 or 4 sticks ) on the board without checking both kits timing.

    If the scenario was 2) Please exchange or refund the new DDR4 kit then by the new kit with ASUS memory qualify guide below.
    ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME_Memory QVL.xlsx (asus.com)
    i at first upgrade just 32 gb with a mix of sticks from 2017 and 2021 .... though i thought there might have been some issues with those 2017 sticks .. so i bought another 32 gb of 100% matching memory .. and the exact same .. There is no issues with those rams because i did extensive memory testing with several programs over several days without issues .. and memory can be ruled out .. so in my mind its ether the motherbord og the CPU ( that is pretty new too and contains the memory manangment controller) or the bios .. but the bios was both upgraded and for to be sure reset once i installed all 2021 64 gb ram sticks ..

    The idea buying another set of 2021 ram was because that the 2017 sticks might have been different chips with different timings etc ..

  8. #8
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array restsugavan PC Specs
    restsugavan PC Specs
    MotherboardRAMPAGE VI EXTREME BIOS 3501 MOD
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 7980XE 2.60GHz
    Memory (part number)64GB GSKILL 3.2 GHz 16-16-18-36 2T
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG POSEIDON 1080Ti
    MonitorSAMSUNG ODESSEY G9 NEO 49 Firmware 1005.1
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 1TB x 3
    Storage #2WD 4TB External HDD
    CPU CoolerNZXT KRAKEN 62
    CaseCorsair Carbine 540
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Keyboard Microsoft
    Mouse Microsoft
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Sony
    OS Windows 11 Insider Preview 22504.1010
    Network RouterD-LINK
    restsugavan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Reputation
    92
    Posts
    744

    Lightbulb Choose one kit that more stable.

    Quote Originally Posted by NoBlackThunder View Post
    i at first upgrade just 32 gb with a mix of sticks from 2017 and 2021 .... though i thought there might have been some issues with those 2017 sticks .. so i bought another 32 gb of 100% matching memory .. and the exact same .. There is no issues with those rams because i did extensive memory testing with several programs over several days without issues .. and memory can be ruled out .. so in my mind its ether the motherbord og the CPU ( that is pretty new too and contains the memory manangment controller) or the bios .. but the bios was both upgraded and for to be sure reset once i installed all 2021 64 gb ram sticks ..

    The idea buying another set of 2021 ram was because that the 2017 sticks might have been different chips with different timings etc ..

    The memory die inside those sticks may manufacture by different OEM. There are many same product ( Quad channel DDR4 kits )
    from same OEM but different lot no. used different DRAM chip ( Some from SAMSUNG , SK-Hynix , Micron , ... etc ).

    I recommend you to use each package ( choose 2017 or 2021 one package ) for system stability.

    Mixing both quad channel kits may suffer from freezing or hang.
    Last edited by restsugavan; 09-27-2021 at 08:24 AM.
    Windows 11 22H2 Build 22504.1010 Core i9 7980XE 02006COA MCU 2021-06-16 R6E 3501 MODDED BIOS TPM 2.0 Enabled VROC 7.6.0.1023 + RST 18.31.1.5256 ME FW 11.12.86.1877 DV 2131.1.4.0 64GB DDR4 3200 XMP POSEIDON 1080i GTX NVIDIA Driver 510.31 WHQL 3TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS OMS Driver 18.36.4.1022 WHQL i219 V OROM 0.1.00 BA 0.1.16 12.19.1.37 WHQL AQC 107N FW 3.1.121 AQC 3.1.4.0 WHQL Realtek HD 6.0.9264.1 WHQL SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G9 49 NEO FW 1006 VESA HDR 2000 DP

  9. #9
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    15

    Quote Originally Posted by restsugavan View Post
    The memory die inside those sticks may manufacture by different OEM. There are many same product ( Quad channel DDR4 kits )
    from same OEM but different lot no. used different DRAM chip ( Some from SAMSUNG , SK-Hynix , Micron , ... etc ).

    I recommend you to use each package ( choose 2017 or 2021 one package ) for system stability.

    Mixing both quad channel kits may suffer from freezing or hang.
    thats why i bought other 32 gb too after i had 64 ... because the first 32 where from 2017 and i though about the exact same ... so now i have 2 kits from jan 2021 that should have the exact same dye ... that said it seems to have helped a bit with crashes .. but i still experiance random crashes even though all 64 gb are from the same batch with serial numbers +1 from the other sett

  10. #10
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Reputation
    16
    Posts
    151

    Quote Originally Posted by NoBlackThunder View Post
    thats why i bought other 32 gb too after i had 64 ... because the first 32 where from 2017 and i though about the exact same ... so now i have 2 kits from jan 2021 that should have the exact same dye ... that said it seems to have helped a bit with crashes .. but i still experiance random crashes even though all 64 gb are from the same batch with serial numbers +1 from the other sett
    Just try with what I suggested. only populate the left 4 memory slots.

    and just to be clear, there is no BIOS setting or anything you can do s/w wise to fix the right side memory channel issue on the R6E board.
    It is a R6E hardware issue for some boards (not all) and if you are one of the unlucky once (like I was), then the only solutions known, is to only use left 4 slots.

    All other fixes will have no effect.
    Last edited by Int8bldr; 09-29-2021 at 12:50 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •