cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[ SOLVED ] RESTARTS HANG - Crosshair Hero VIII WiFi

watchpocket
Level 7
SOLVED, see my reply below.

I have two new Linux installs (Ubuntu-MATE) on a newly built desktop workstation. One is on a 2.5-inch SSD, the other on an nvme SSD.

If I do a "Restart" from either, it appears as if a restart will happen, but it just hangs.

The computer does not restart, does not shut down, it just goes black, and I have to press the reset button.

The same thing happens if I make any change in the UEFI/BIOS settings. When I save the changes, there is no shutdown and no reboot, just a hang, and I have to press the reset button.

Given that this happens when trying to save settings in the motherboard, I suspect that's where the problem lies.

(The motherboard's Q-codes, after quickly flashing through a bunch of numbers & letters, just go back to "AA" during the attempted reboot, indicating nothing useful.)

The motherboard is an Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi); Linux kernel 5.11.0-37, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU; the GPU is aGigabyte GeForce RTX 3060, Nvidia driver 470.63.01.

Would anyone have a clue as to where I might start troubleshooting for this?

Thanks in advance, I can provide more info re my system if needed.
1 REPLY 1

watchpocket
Level 7
SOLVED: I removed the CMOS battery on the motherboard, waited a minute, and put it back in. Problem solved.