cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING - how to save SecureBoot keys?

maderas
Level 7
I'm trying to save my SecureBoot keys to a USB flash drive, but when I attempt to do so I'm greeted with these file systems as save options:

https://i.imgur.com/K6te34b.jpg

I have no idea what I'm looking at here, and the options are all the same regardless of whether or not I have a flash drive plugged into any of my USB ports, including the BIOS port on the back of the mobo. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I was under the impression I should just be able to see the thumbdrive and select it as the file system. It shows up as an option in boot order, so the mobo recognizes it. It's formatted in fat32 and everything else should be squared away, but I have no idea what those file format options are that come up when I attempt to use the 'save SecureBoot variables' option in BIOS.
5 REPLIES 5

Legolas
Level 9
just insert a USB flash drive and you should be able to select file system to save it.
Sincerely,
Legolas

The problem is when I try to save the keys, the "file systems" it lists are the ones in the picture I linked. I don't know what any of those are. None of them are easily identifiable and they don't appear to be any storage media on my computer that I'm familiar with because I only have two drives and the USB flash stick, and the same number are listed regardless of whether or not the flash drive is plugged in or not.

Saltgrass
Level 13
maderas wrote:
I'm trying to save my SecureBoot keys to a USB flash drive, but when I attempt to do so I'm greeted with these file systems as save options:

Just wondering, what is prompting this need to save secure boot keys?
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

The impending Windows 11 update and a friend of mine losing his in a BIOS update he needed, which resulted in being locked out of his OS and having to reinstall it from scratch.

Saltgrass
Level 13
OK, but there may have been more to that situation than is indicated.

I have been running a UEFI system since 2010 and at first was concerned about the keys. When I realized I could not create them and had no idea where they came from, I just let the system do it. I did try deleting them once and thought I was done, but the system restored the keys on its own without an OS reinstall.

The option to save the keys in the Bios is also probably a secure type. I hate to start messing with mine, but are you actually selecting a file system? It might be referring to a secure location already on your system which the Bios can access if it has problems.. If not, it may ask for a location after you make that selection.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200