cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are the 8 pin and 6 pin power plugs required?

Zarathustraa
Level 7
I'm using the Dimm .2 slot with one nvme drive, overclocking a 64 core cpu, a low power graphics card, and overclocking the ram. I just have 1 SATA disk attached.

Is EATX12V_1, EATX12V_2, and EATX12V_3 all required? Is it possible to get away with not plugging them in?
7 REPLIES 7

thomas_yiu
Level 9
Hello, What motherboard? Usually, most boards recommend, for 850W and above, ensure to connect both 8pin and 4 pin power plugs or 2 8pin power plugs or above (more) to ensure system stability under heavy loading.
Sincerely,
TY

thomas_yiu@ROG wrote:
Hello, What motherboard? Usually, most boards recommend, for 850W and above, ensure to connect both 8pin and 4 pin power plugs or 2 8pin power plugs or above (more) to ensure system stability under heavy loading.

Zenith Extreme Alpha II. I have one of those 64 core AMD processors. I'm just using it for cpu mining, and trying to save on power draw.

BigJohnny
Level 13
I use all of mine. It wont stop power draw but overload those connected if you don't run what you need being all of them especially on a 64 core.

Zarathustraa
Level 7
Thanks. I'll just plug them all in other than the one needed for multiple graphics cards.

Zarathustraa wrote:
Thanks. I'll just plug them all in other than the one needed for multiple graphics cards.

You talking about the EZ plug thats a molex at the bottom? I plug that in too. Its not for the GPUs but everything else on the PCIE slots that draw their power directly from the PCIE. I have two Intel Optane AIC drives in there so I use it. Whats One more molex connector. Like I said I literally plug in EVERYTHING!! At least that way I know I wont be chasing an issue thats really due to lack of power delivery.

BigJohnny wrote:
You talking about the EZ plug thats a molex at the bottom? I plug that in too. Its not for the GPUs but everything else on the PCIE slots that draw their power directly from the PCIE. I have two Intel Optane AIC drives in there so I use it. Whats One more molex connector. Like I said I literally plug in EVERYTHING!! At least that way I know I wont be chasing an issue thats really due to lack of power delivery.

Yeah, I shouldn't need the molex connector.

For the 6 pin motherboard connector, EATX12V_3 in the manual, is a PCI-E 6 pin the right cable?

Zarathustraa wrote:
Yeah, I shouldn't need the molex connector.

For the 6 pin motherboard connector, EATX12V_3 in the manual, is a PCI-E 6 pin the right cable?

You dont really need the EX plug if you dont have any CPIE devices other than GPUs. I plug mine in just because its there and Id rather have everything to have enough power than to starve it.

Yes the 6 pin GPU connector is what you use there however I noted on my R6EE the pins dont match up. Gave me a a headache for awhile. Cant remember exactly which pin ASUS played a cruel joke on but one of them is square in the socket but rounded on one side on the plug......in this instance a round peg WILL fit in a square hole. I looked everywhere for a 6 pin EPS connector and they dont exist. Contacted ASUS support and got crickets. Finally after waiting longer than I wanted to I decided to just plug the 6 pin in and it works pefectly. Its all 12V and ground anyway. If something dreadful would have happened I had a paper trail with support ticket being filed and no response.