cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible RAM problem? G752VSK

omeggga
Level 8
So my wifi card is pretty heck, so I bought a new one, the new one being an intel 9260. I install it, it works, but pc starts acting weird. Loading things crashes the cursor entirely sometimes, reinstalling windows 10 didn't help, so I slot the old one back in and reinstall, pc is still acting a bit crazy.

Turns out, on my way out of first installing the 9260 I took the RAM cards beneath the keyboard and moved them to the back so that if I upgrade, it'd be easier.

Recently I learned that a motherboard has certain ram slots it "preffers". Is that what's happening here? Do i need to jam these sticks back on the slots under the KB?
7 REPLIES 7

jdfrench3
Level 12
On the ASUS G752VSK Bank 0 and Bank 2 are on the keyboard-side and Bank 1 and Bank 3 are on the back-side. My G752VSK came with a single 16GB RAM stick installed in the Bank 0 slot.
I surmise you must have at least Bank 0 slot filled to operate this motherboard.
Install your RAM in the two keyboard-side slots first, then install additional RAM in the back-side slots.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

omeggga
Level 8
Yeah when I did the card swap I moved them from 0 and 2 to 1 and 3. So like, the motherboard gives prefferential treatment to 0 and 2 or like, how's that work exactly? 'lil confused here.

Also swapped the cards, gonna do some testing and fiddling but so far it's running MUUUUCH better.

The G752VSK has a dual channel processor, Bank 0 slot and Bank 2 slot are linked and support one channel, Bank 1 slot and Bank 3 slot are linked and support the other channel. The dual channel processor can work with just one channel but works better with memory in both channels.
Homebuilt Windows Server

omeggga
Level 8
I see, also, what do you recommend for undervolting? XTU ot throttlestop? The motherboard doesn't seem to have a setting to lower voltage in it.

jdfrench3
Level 12
Since you have to remove ROG Gaming Center to get either XTU or Throttlestop to work properly, I prefer to use the ROG Gaming Center version 2.7.1 and not mess with any settings. I do have ASUS Turbo Gear Config version 1.0.3 installed.
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Since you have to remove ROG Gaming Center to get either XTU or Throttlestop to work properly, I prefer to use the ROG Gaming Center version 2.7.1 and not mess with any settings. I do have ASUS Turbo Gear Config version 1.0.3 installed.

ROG Gaming Center didn't allow me to undervolt...

BigJohnny
Level 13
My G752VY came with one in the user service area and the other under the keyboard. I yanked what was in there and put 4X 16 GB Gskill ripjaws. Works great.