cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XMP Issue - Strix Z390 Gaming-E

move_kinect
Level 7
I've done some searching and have seen some XMP issues with the 19XX BIOS but I haven't seen mine specifically so I'm hoping it's alright to start a new thread on this.

I originally tried turning on XMP while on the 1802 BIOS and my PC would always crash when loading Windows instantly. I finally decided to update to 1903 (I'd seen online where this would fix the BSOD). The update ran fine and was able to boot with XMP on. I played a few games and started getting crashes in game so decided to just keep XMP off and forget about it. Well, when I turn XMP off my motherboard boots into safe mode. I've tried resetting the CMOS as well as flashing two other BIOS versions (1902 and 1802) but if I attempt to turn XMP off now, I can't boot into Windows due to the motherboard booting into safe mode no matter what BIOS version I'm on. I've spent the last couple of weeks dealing with Asus support (most of the time waiting for call backs that never come) and they just want me to RMA the board. I really can't go without my PC for weeks and I can't pay the advanced exchange right now (around $300). I'm waiting for their level 3 support to call me back but I'm not hopeful. Has anyone else run into this issue before? It seems Asus has terrible problems with XMP.

Specs
i9-9900K
Strix Z390 Gaming-E
Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 4x8GB DDR4
4 REPLIES 4

cuke2u
Level 8
Never had any issues with XMP2 here with any bios versions.
Asus Strix Z390-F, Intel i9 9900k, 32gb Team Group Night Hawk RGB, Corsair ML120 Pro RGB Premium AIO, be quiet! Straight Power 11 650W, AMD Vega 56, Lian Li Alpha 500X RGB, Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

1) Remove the CMOS battery and AC power from the board and leave for 20 minutes.

2) Disable the Mem OK switch which is located in the top right hand section of the motherboard.

3) Put the CMOS battery back in and then power on the system.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Braegnok
Level 14
Hello,

You may have corrupted your OS boot sector,.. booting into Windows multiple times with an unstable memory profile or unstable system overclock,.. causing the Windows BSOD's will corrupt your OS preventing system start-up.

Please, list the model number of the 4x8GB memory kit you are trying to run in XMP.

To check/confirm corrupted OS,.. boot into BIOS and load system default settings, and exit BIOS. If you can not boot into Windows normally than you will need to perform a new, clean Windows install.

Bisquit
Level 7
move.kinect wrote:
I've done some searching and have seen some XMP issues with the 19XX BIOS but I haven't seen mine specifically so I'm hoping it's alright to start a new thread on this.

I originally tried turning on XMP while on the 1802 BIOS and my PC would always crash when loading Windows instantly. I finally decided to update to 1903 (I'd seen online where this would fix the BSOD). The update ran fine and was able to boot with XMP on. I played a few games and started getting crashes in game so decided to just keep XMP off and forget about it. Well, when I turn XMP off my motherboard boots into safe mode. I've tried resetting the CMOS as well as flashing two other BIOS versions (1902 and 1802) but if I attempt to turn XMP off now, I can't boot into Windows due to the motherboard booting into safe mode no matter what BIOS version I'm on. I've spent the last couple of weeks dealing with Asus support (most of the time waiting for call backs that never come) and they just want me to RMA the board. I really can't go without my PC for weeks and I can't pay the advanced exchange right now (around $300). I'm waiting for their level 3 support to call me back but I'm not hopeful. Has anyone else run into this issue before? It seems Asus has terrible problems with XMP.

Specs
i9-9900K
Strix Z390 Gaming-E
Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 4x8GB DDR4

I never had any issues with my z390-F board. However, after using xmp you should check if the timings are set correct, also check if the dram voltage is set correct. Fixing a corrupt windows should be fairly simple, provided you have a bootable usb stick with windows on.
It's true you can corrupt your windows with unstable overclocks/wrong settings in bios. I've had this a couple of times. They were easily fixed though.
In the end of the day it could be just bad ram. Manually setting lower timings/frequency could resolve that as a temporary fix.