ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array rjbarker PC Specs
    rjbarker PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus XI Extreme (BIOS 1503 to 1903)
    Processor9900K @ 5.1 Ghz w EK Velocity
    Memory (part number)32 GB -Dominator Platinum 3200 Mhz CAS 16
    Graphics Card #1Evga RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra w FC EKWB
    Sound CardOnboard Realtek
    MonitorDell Alienware 34" Ultra wide 120Hz Gsync
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro 512G M.2 NNMe
    Storage #2Samsung 860 Pro 512G & 256G
    CPU CoolerEK Supremacy Copper w Nickel Plating
    CaseCorsair 900D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1600i
    OS W10 HP x64 - 21H1
    Accessory #1 480 * 360 * 240 XSPC Radiators (15 Fans) w 4 Channel 200W Fan Controller
    Accessory #2 XSPC Photon Rez / Vario Pump combo
    Accessory #3 Fesser Flex Tubing - Bits Power Fittings & EK SLi Terminal

Mixing XMP Profile w some Manual Settings - MXI-E / 9900K ?

Hello folks...quick question, this has always been a trial an error thing and I have really not spent much time at all playing around with Memory OC'ing.

So if I set XMP 1 (or II) then F10 reboot...I know I can tweak Vram Voltage if need be....leaving AI OC in XMP mode, can I try changing DDR4 speed from say 3200 Mhz to next frequency step up, then adjust VCCIO / SA play with Timings etc .....or do I have to have AI OC mode in Manual mode ?

Im thinking you can, but I'm also thinking it maybe a little easier for me to play around as all sub timings I can leave in Auto....if I start in Manual Mode there maybe far too mnay sub timing settings......in other words start bringing up RAM Frequency / Timings (not Sub Timings) / Vram / VCCIO / SA from the XMP Profile that is set.....googled everywhere and didnt really see a specific answer to this question....

Cheers

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3883MHz 16-17- 17-37-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyPCP&C Turbo Cool 1200w
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse ROG Chakram Core
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    Mouse Pad Steelseries QCK Prism XL
    OS Windows 11 Home
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

Hi rjbarker

I personally use manual mode and just set the primary timings, then raise the frequency one step at a time. The sub timings will change accordingly as you increase the frequency so there's no need to fool with those.

Most ddr4 memory can handle up to 1.50v and is the max voltage recommended by Intel. I run my trident z's at 1.55v.

If you want you could try this and see how far you get.

1) Manual Mode
    2) Set the primary timings
    3) Dram voltage 1.50v
    4) VCCIO/SA 1.30v

5) Increase the frequency one step at a time until it becomes unstable, then back down a step.

I'd be curious to know what you started with and ended up with.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Hello,

If both XMP 1 and 2 profiles are stable, it's usually better to opt for XMP 1. What values are applied depends on what the memory vendor has programmed into the SPD table. This can vary from simply DRAM Voltage to VCCSA / IO and other values, too.

XMP I - Board optimised timings

XMP II - Default XMP timings

3200MHz shouldn't need more than 1.2v SA on Coffee Lake, so test frequency increases around here and increase SA if needed. Signal rails such as these can be sensitive too much voltage, so lower where possible.

rjbarker PC Specs
    CaseCorsair 900D
    OS W10 HP x64 - 21H1
    Accessory #1 480 * 360 * 240 XSPC Radiators (15 Fans) w 4 Channel 200W Fan Controller

Thanks guys....
    I know I can go straight to Manual setting....can I set XMP Profile, then set my Frequency / Timings leaving XMP set...I know the BIOS will allow me to do this, just curious if I can go this method as well?

Hi Nate....
    Thanks...so setting manual do you leave all sub timings in "auto" mode initially?

Scone....I know what XMP I&II are and what my VCCIO and SA voltages should be I presently have them set to VCIIO 1.20v and SA 1.25v.....but I also know that XMP sets other things such as sub timings and I would think perhaps some voltages other than the obvious ones (VDimm / Vram SA...VCIIO) ....I'm quite comfortable playing with those obvious voltages, primary timings and Frequency....but dont have a clue what sub timings to play with.

XMP sets ridiculously high VCCIO / SA voltage if I dont lower them manually.
    Last edited by rjbarker; 10-15-2021 at 09:23 PM.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

What I usually do is set it to XMP and see where it goes and record all the numbers including tertiary timings. Then go back and do it manually changing one thing at a time. Yes it tedious but gets me the best results. Not that it matters all that much as what the numbers show in memory benchmarks and what I can perceive are two very different things. In the end I cant tell the difference between just running XMP and spending several days tweaking one thing at a time to gain a little on a benchmark and nothing I can perceive. Just something I do when Im bored out of my mind with literally nothing else to do. Id rather tinker with my Harley.

rjbarker PC Specs
    CaseCorsair 900D
    OS W10 HP x64 - 21H1

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohnny View Post
    What I usually do is set it to XMP and see where it goes and record all the numbers including tertiary timings. Then go back and do it manually changing one thing at a time. Yes it tedious but gets me the best results. Not that it matters all that much as what the numbers show in memory benchmarks and what I can perceive are two very different things. In the end I cant tell the difference between just running XMP and spending several days tweaking one thing at a time to gain a little on a benchmark and nothing I can perceive. Just something I do when Im bored out of my mind with literally nothing else to do. Id rather tinker with my Harley.

^^^^ Yep got my answer thanks.....like someone else said on another Forum...."No problem to tweak a profile"