cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For owners running Windows 11 on their X99 PCs.

Axle_Grease
Level 7
Windows 11 Security Book ( 1st Oct 2021 )

https://query.prod.cms.rt.microsoft.com/cms/api/am/binary/RWMyFE

The section on hardware security is very interesting. After reading it, I'm not sure why Microsoft has made Windows 11 so easy to install on old hardware. It is absolutely a retrograde move in relation to the objective Microsoft was trying to achieve with Windows 11.

Those of us with Haswell-E CPUs should keep in mind that on the matter of Virtualisation-Based Security the Haswell implementation blows. Microsoft should not add Haswell to the Windows 11 compatible CPU list. A spineless Microsoft probably would.

Update:
Fixed link. Thanks, BigJohnny.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown
18 REPLIES 18

BigJohnny
Level 13
Ive been working with the dev channel and keeping tabs on development. Im fairly certain all the reg hacks to get it to run on old gear have been disabled.

Your link is dead.

pndiode
Level 11
It might be one of those new Windows 11 Security features. Just remove the http:// from the front of link.

pharma
Level 9
Hopefully there will be third party security solutions so we don't have to use what comes with WIn 11, similar to what we have in Windows 10.

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
Hate to wake you up about this feature but it's on win-10 as well so should x99 be banned from win-10 too lol

This feature is really for people that use virtual machines so exploits don't leak into the host os but fact is this protection is off regardless of 10 or 11

Real problem is too many people rely on windows/ microsoft defender and shouldn't or ms lab tests.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThrashZone wrote:
Hi,
Hate to wake you up about this feature but it's on win-10 as well so should x99 be banned from win-10 too lol

This feature is really for people that use virtual machines so exploits don't leak into the host os but fact is this protection is off regardless of 10 or 11

Real problem is too many people rely on windows/ microsoft defender and shouldn't or ms lab tests.

On the matter virtual machines, VBS is used to isolate the hypervisor itself from the OS now that a compromised OS is automatically assumed. The security features on fully compatible PCs running Windows 11 go six layers deep and are designed around the premise that some part of the system has been compromised. Here's where Haswell comes in. VBS is now used to isolate areas of memory as a general function of PC security. Haswell has VBS but it hits performance pretty bad, and Microsoft is or *was* pushing for all the security with little or no performance degradation. For this reason Haswell will not and should not be on the Windows 11 CPU compatibility list. As far as I'm concerned, Windows 11 on my PC is no less secure than Windows 10 so I might as well be running it until the next upgrade or until MS gets in the way.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown

Axle Grease wrote:
On the matter virtual machines, VBS is used to isolate the hypervisor itself from the OS now that a compromised OS is automatically assumed. The security features on fully compatible PCs running Windows 11 go six layers deep and are designed around the premise that some part of the system has been compromised. Here's where Haswell comes in. VBS is now used to isolate areas of memory as a general function of PC security. Haswell has VBS but it hits performance pretty bad, and Microsoft is or *was* pushing for all the security with little or no performance degradation. For this reason Haswell will not and should not be on the Windows 11 CPU compatibility list. As far as I'm concerned, Windows 11 on my PC is no less secure than Windows 10 so I might as well be running it until the next upgrade or until MS gets in the way.

Hi,
You do realize virtualization features/ hyper-v is disabled by default in bios on all asus boards there's a good reason for this default lol

This is no big deal unless a user wants to use this security hole feature along with Remote access

Yeah so focus on a threat that is only a threat "IF" someone is silly enough to use hyper-v-ware.

Smart people would not.

I just installed win-11 on my x99 5930k rig my goodness the sky is falling I swear :cool:

Same for z490 and x299 rigs same setup No TPM/ No UEFI/ NO GPT/ No CPU support on at least 5930k x99 is a trifecta lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pharma
Level 9
Glad I do not rely on Defender (and never will), but for people who are using the MS security solution should feel content.

PipJones
Level 8
TL/DR: Is your 6850K overclock working in W11?

More detail ...

I upgraded to X299 a while ago and mothballed my RVE with 6850K/6900K. I've since acquired a Sabertooth X99 board to use as an HTPC & VM Host with my 6850K.
I'm only running an nh-d9l air cooler. I do plan to go AIO soon. Overclocking might be an option.

Latest BIOS and I've installed W11. No dodgy download. Fresh install.

issue 1) 1x unknown driver. This is the "intel turbo boost max technology 3.0 driver". I tried the W10 one, but, it fails to start "Code 10".

issue 2) With all cores to x40, I noticed that only the favourite core is hitting x40. Thermal limit is not being hit. This brings back memories of when a W10 update borked the X99 overclock. There was a BIOS update required and/or some software turbo boost file rename stuff.

I think these issues are related. This does lead to my question - If you're running W11 on 6850K, is your overclock working?

TIA

PipJones wrote:
TL/DR: Is your 6850K overclock working in W11?

More detail ...

I upgraded to X299 a while ago and mothballed my RVE with 6850K/6900K. I've since acquired a Sabertooth X99 board to use as an HTPC & VM Host with my 6850K.
I'm only running an nh-d9l air cooler. I do plan to go AIO soon. Overclocking might be an option.

Latest BIOS and I've installed W11. No dodgy download. Fresh install.

issue 1) 1x unknown driver. This is the "intel turbo boost max technology 3.0 driver". I tried the W10 one, but, it fails to start "Code 10".

issue 2) With all cores to x40, I noticed that only the favourite core is hitting x40. Thermal limit is not being hit. This brings back memories of when a W10 update borked the X99 overclock. There was a BIOS update required and/or some software turbo boost file rename stuff.

I think these issues are related. This does lead to my question - If you're running W11 on 6850K, is your overclock working?

TIA

I have a Asus X99-A II motherboard with a i7-6850k. Did standard Win11 installation work for you? PC check and WhyNotWin11 both shows that the CPU is not supported (and that TPM is missing, but I can handle that with an add-on) Or did you install with the CPU compatibility flag turned off?
Also, do you know which X99 supported CPUs officially support win11? I can't really find any..

Thanks.