cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zephyrus s17 gx703 awful noise coming from the left side of the keyboard

skellie
Level 7
Hi all
I'm new to gaming on a laptop and just bought the zephyrus s17 gx703.
The laptop is a very nice piece of kit but whenever i play a game i get this awful noise coming from the left side of the keyboard.
It sounds like a bumble bee,i think it maybe coil whine but i'm not sure.
What i would like to know would asus change the unit because of coil whine.
Iv'e only had the laptop for less than a month, and at the cost of three and a half grand i find this noise unacceptable.

Thanks in advance for any help
5 REPLIES 5

AllanM88
Level 8
You can return it for coilwhine, at least I could do that at my retail store.

Just return it to your retail store, and they might check if its coilwhine or something else, and then they should declare it DOA (Dead on Arrival) and give you either money back or a new unit (which hopefully won't have coilwhine).

However, from my experience with ASUS laptops, it seems their recent models have big issue with coilwhine on Intel processors (idk about AMD ones). I went through 6(!) units with coilwhine, before going to a totally new model, which didn't have coilwhine - but lots of other issues, that I still struggle with.

AllanM88 wrote:
You can return it for coilwhine, at least I could do that at my retail store.

Just return it to your retail store, and they might check if its coilwhine or something else, and then they should declare it DOA (Dead on Arrival) and give you either money back or a new unit (which hopefully won't have coilwhine).

However, from my experience with ASUS laptops, it seems their recent models have big issue with coilwhine on Intel processors (idk about AMD ones). I went through 6(!) units with coilwhine, before going to a totally new model, which didn't have coilwhine - but lots of other issues, that I still struggle with.

Thanks for your reply i've emailed asus customer services to see what they say.

Hi all

Just thought i would give an update on my laptop.

Well my retailer exchanged my first unit with the coil whine so i was a happy bunny.
New laptop arrived today and guess what another faulty one.
This time a faulty fan that sounded like a motorbike.
I'd just thought i would warn anybody who is thinking of buying this laptop to steer clear, as build quality doesn't seem that good for the high price you pay for it.
Now i'm a big asus fan' i have bought loads of their products' but this laptop has made me lose faith in the brand.
I'm now waiting for a third replacement unit. so lets hope its third time lucky.
Asus quality control needs to be improved to keep loyal customers.

sorry for the rant just a bit pi**ed off

skellie wrote:
Hi all

Just thought i would give an update on my laptop.

Well my retailer exchanged my first unit with the coil whine so i was a happy bunny.
New laptop arrived today and guess what another faulty one.
This time a faulty fan that sounded like a motorbike.
I'd just thought i would warn anybody who is thinking of buying this laptop to steer clear, as build quality doesn't seem that good for the high price you pay for it.
Now i'm a big asus fan' i have bought loads of their products' but this laptop has made me lose faith in the brand.
I'm now waiting for a third replacement unit. so lets hope its third time lucky.
Asus quality control needs to be improved to keep loyal customers.

sorry for the rant just a bit pi**ed off

You may have fared better sending it in to Asus. Mine had a display issue where the bottom right corner was all grey. Sent it in, they replaced the LCD, and now I have a perfectly working laptop.

had similar experience. Same model. Fan issues like a clicking noise. Had it replaced the next day. Still annoyed with the default settings wherein the fans just keep on revving up and down