cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless 5Ghz Control Channel Keeps Changing

JeffroMan
Level 9
Regarding the RT-AX82U Gaming Router, after manually setting a control channel for the 5Ghz band the channel used for the wireless signal changes properly but often the day after changing it, the router uses a different channel than what it was manually set to. I can understand that it would behave that way if the control channel setting were set to Auto. Why does it do that? I keep the router's firmware up to date.
6 REPLIES 6

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi JeffroMan,
Did you see the changing in the router setting page?
May I double confirm the firmware version is 3.0.0.4.386.45898?
Which channel did you select and which channel did it change to? Have you tried different channel?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi JeffroMan,
Did you see the changing in the router setting page?
May I double confirm the firmware version is 3.0.0.4.386.45898?
Which channel did you select and which channel did it change to? Have you tried different channel?
Thank you.

Yes, I saw the change occur in the settings page. Yes, the firmware is that version number you mentioned. I think I changed the channel to 142 and it changed to a number lower than that but higher than 100. I done that in response to results that I'm getting on the Wi-Fi analyzer app on my phone since I live in an apartment building. Since I posted this I've just been setting the 5Ghz control channel to Auto. The results are satisfactory but sometimes rebooting the router once or twice a week helps.

BigJohnny
Level 13
Did you reboot the router after setting it to manual and make the channel change?

BigJohnny wrote:
Did you reboot the router after setting it to manual and make the channel change?

No, but when clicking on apply in the router's settings after the change was made put that change into effect. I saw the change occur as expected using the Wi-Fi Analyzer.

JeffroMan
Level 9
JeffroMan wrote:
Regarding the RT-AX82U Gaming Router, after manually setting a control channel for the 5Ghz band the channel used for the wireless signal changes properly but often the day after changing it, the router uses a different channel than what it was manually set to. I can understand that it would behave that way if the control channel setting were set to Auto. Why does it do that? I keep the router's firmware up to date.

Yes, I saw the change occur in the settings page. Yes, the firmware is that version number you mentioned. I think I changed the channel to 142 and it changed to a number lower than that but higher than 100. I done that in response to results that I'm getting on the Wi-Fi analyzer app on my phone since I live in an apartment building. Since I posted this I've just been setting the 5Ghz control channel to Auto. The results are satisfactory but sometimes rebooting the router once or twice a week helps.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi JeffroMan,
If after manually setting a control channel, you see the channel changing itself again , please try other channels to see if it only occurs on ch142.
Thank you.