cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touch Pad Issues

ScratchyGato
Level 7
I have a G74sx with the Sentelic touch pad and I've started having some problems.
The problem is the Sentelic software usually doesn't load when the computer starts up. Sometimes the software will unload itself after using a USB port (not a mouse, but an external drive).

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the software and I've tried 2 different versions but that doesn't help. I have the latest released BIOS version installed (203 i think.)

I think the trouble started when I unplugged the mouse when the computer was 'sleeping'. I have the Sentelic software configured to disable the touch-pad when a usb mouse is plugged in. So, waking up with the mouse no longer plugged in seems to have seriously confused the software.

Any ideas? Is there a place in the Registry that needs to be cleared out or something?
5 REPLIES 5

dstrakele
Level 14
ScratchyGato wrote:
I think the trouble started when I unplugged the mouse when the computer was 'sleeping'. I have the Sentelic software configured to disable the touch-pad when a usb mouse is plugged in. So, waking up with the mouse no longer plugged in seems to have seriously confused the software.

I think you got the right idea, @Scratchy! When you sleep a system, it saves an image of the system in memory, using the battery to keep the memory alive. If you go and change the attached hardware (by removing the mouse that was attached when the system was put to sleep), it no longer matches the memory image and that WILL cause problems. You want to remove the mouse, have Windows acknowledge it was removed, THEN put the system to sleep.

You might try disabling hibernation and then enabling it. This will recreate HIBERFIL.SYS, the file were the system memory image is saved on hibernation. It may currently be corrupt on your system. By default, Windows will switch from sleep to hibernate when the battery reaches a certain level.

Otherwise, you may need to uninstall the Sentelic driver from Control Panel, boot into Safe Mode and remove any Sentelic remnants if they exist, perhaps run CCleaner to cleanup the registry, and then reinstall Sentelic version 9.1.7.7. Earlier versions have issues with disabling the touchpad on detection of a USB mouse and may contribute to your issue.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

n1ghtl1fe
Level 10
i would try one more time booting into safe mode and both uninstalling the touchpad from device manager and then uninstalling the software, try using Revo Uninstaller to uninstall it. Revo searches your pc for any files or registry entries leftover after uninstall. Im pretty sure you can get a free 30 day trial off there site.

Then reboot and re-install the drivers off Asus's 9.1.3.5 site (ive done a lot of testing with different drivers thats the most stable version). Try to do both the uninstall and install in safe mode if the installer will let you. gl bro
G75
-i7-3610QM -16GB DDR3
-256GB Patriot SSD -Nvidia GTX 670M 3GB
-1TB HHD Storage

Thanks men (women?). I'll give those ideas a try and report back.

dstrakele
Level 14
Selentic 9.1.3.5 has an issue with disabling the touchpad when detecting a USB mouse. Users report the touchpad re-enables itself.

Also, if you choose to disable the touchpad in the BIOS and are running 9.1.3.5, it will disable the entire keyboard as well.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

As it turns out the problem wasn't necessarily what I thought:
I later realized the problem began after I had installed 'Fast Boot'. Uninstalling 'Fast Boot' and uninstalling the touch-pad software in safe-mode then reinstalling the touch pad driver seems to have fixed my problem.

I suspect the 'Fast boot' was the problem even though I didn't have it configured to delay any of the touch pad drivers. The 'Fast boot' application was pointless anyway since I have a SSD as the boot drive.

I'm using the Selentec 9177 version of the touch-pad software. It's working as it should now.