cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS TUF F15 battery level drops when shutting down

whoenvy
Level 7
Hello, everyone!

I'm new here, nice to meet you all and I have THREE questions. I hope I post this on the correct category. A long detailed explanation is welcomed.

1. What is the correct way to maintain battery health for heavy gaming? I've read a lot of articles and everything isn't consistent regarding on how to maintain your battery. So, I'm really confused on what to do exactly, every articles tend to contradict with each other. Some says you don't have to charge above 60%, some says above 80%, some says drain your battery to 5 percent once in a while for calibration, some says don't let it drop below 20 percent. So, what should I do with my ASUS TUF F15 (for heavy gaming and virtual meetings/working/browsing)

2. Is ASUS Battery Health Management good to use? Because my laptop is plugged in all the time for heavy gaming, I use the "Maximum Lifespan Mode" which stops the battery at 60% to extend batteries life cycle. However, whenever I shut my laptop down, unplug and then, in the next hours when I'm about to use, I plug the AC back and turn my laptop on, it will start at 59% and charge back to 60%. Isn't it a bad thing to do because it keeps recharging to return to the designated level?

3. THIS IS SOMETHING I'M HAVING TROUBLE WITH TO UNDERSTAND. When I used my laptop for gaming, I used it on AC and 100% charge (back then, before using ASUS Battery Health Management), it's plugged in all the time. However, when I'm done playing and wanted to move to another table, I shutdown my laptop while it is still plugged. After waiting for it to shutdown, then I moved the laptop to another table and plugged it back before turning it on. Then, I was surprised to find out that my laptop starts at 40%. How come it dropped to 40% from 100% while it was plugged in all the time?

This is the battery report and I found it unusual, battery life estimates also drops these past few days:

This is the battery usage. Between 18:50:38 and 18:56:09, it was the shutdown phase and when I moved my laptop to another table.

This is the battery life estimates, it fluctuates:

I hope anyone can enlighten me with this issue. Thank you so much for your attention and help. I appreciate everyone who helps me. Thank you 🙂

For SPECS:
i9-11900H and RTX 3060
Battery: ASUS LiON A32-K55, Full Cap: 93,495 mWh and Design Cap: 90,006 mWh
5 REPLIES 5

abactuon
Level 7
1-2. Ignore. This is a gaming laptop, the battery is not the main thing.
Of course if it fails, it will have to be replaced.
I don't use asus software, and the charge level always 90-100%.

Asus recommends discharging once a month or a week (I don't remember), to 20%, but I'm lazy.

3. Sensor failure? Calibrate the battery probably.

lampuiho
Level 7
The battery does matter! It will inflate and if you keep it fully charged like the guy above under heat constantly. And that can cause damage to the interior. I have had laptops, phones, die on me because of that.

Just keep using the battery charge limiter and keep it at 60%. It's better to keep it at 40% but no such option is available. There is no memory issue with lithium battery so 59% charged to 60% is nothing bad. The battery will self discharge so it is not avoidable. Also, just remember to discharge it completely a month or 2 and recharge it to keep the battery life calibrated.

lampuiho wrote:
The battery does matter! It will inflate and if you keep it fully charged like the guy above under heat constantly. And that can cause damage to the interior. I have had laptops, phones, die on me because of that.

Just keep using the battery charge limiter and keep it at 60%. It's better to keep it at 40% but no such option is available. There is no memory issue with lithium battery so 59% charged to 60% is nothing bad. The battery will self discharge so it is not avoidable. Also, just remember to discharge it completely a month or 2 and recharge it to keep the battery life calibrated.

How many years do you want to use it?

We are talking about a gaming laptop.

Buy a new one in two or three years, nothing will blow up in that time.

If the laptop is very expensive, the battery can always be replaced.

abactuon wrote:
How many years do you want to use it?

We are talking about a gaming laptop.

Buy a new one in two or three years, nothing will blow up in that time.

If the laptop is very expensive, the battery can always be replaced.

before you can replace it, it has already destroyed expensive components. Average people sell their laptops before they buy a new one.

The weakest point is the thermal pads.