ROG Member Array

Maximus XIII Hero Motherboard noise

Hey All,

Recently purchased a Maximus XIII hero with 11900K. I realize the motherboard is making a constant noise around the CPU. Here's a video I tooK: https://youtu.be/RudxKKfITSw

It's pretty noticeable and occasionally it disappears for a period of time, but most of the time it's there. I have a custom water cooling set up and I know it's not the fan, pump or waterblck. (tested each individually)

Anyone knows where is this sound coming from? I thought the motherboard only has heatsinks and no moving parts...

Thanks!

ROG Member Array

Here's a longer video from different angle: https://youtu.be/zd81x1b3nEw

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Scientist View Post
    Thanks. Saw this thread as well, I don't know if this is coil whine tho, not high pitch noise, sound very similar to fan noise....

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Saltgrass PC Specs
    Saltgrass PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus XIII Hero
    Processori9 11900K
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 3090 FTW
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorDell AW3420DW
    Storage #1Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB
    Storage #2Samsung 860 Pro 1 TB
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Hyper 212X
    CaseCooler Master
    Power SupplyAntec HCP Platinum 1000
    Keyboard ASUS Strix Flare
    Mouse ASUS Chakram
    Headset/Speakers Logitech wired 5.1
    OS Win 10 Pro
    Network RouterROG Rapture GT-AX11000/AXE11000
    Accessory #1 VR Headset
    Accessory #2 Saitek X52

Have you pinned down the origin of the noise to within a couple of inches? You appear to be focused on the CPU cooler but you say you have tested those individually so it can't be that..

Does anything make the sound vary? I might think the metal base you seem to have it on could amplify some sounds or vibrations.

As far as I can tell, my system is not making any strange sounds, but the glass case and cooling fans may be covering some sounds.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Saltgrass View Post
    Have you pinned down the origin of the noise to within a couple of inches? You appear to be focused on the CPU cooler but you say you have tested those individually so it can't be that..

Does anything make the sound vary? I might think the metal base you seem to have it on could amplify some sounds or vibrations.

As far as I can tell, my system is not making any strange sounds, but the glass case and cooling fans may be covering some sounds.
    Yeah, it's around the CPU area, I think it might be the VRM. There's a waterblock on the CPU and that makes almost no noise at all. I've tried every setting in BIOS and nothing changed, even exchanged a new board and the noise is still there. It did disappear a couple of times for no reason.

Does your VRM make any sound?

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Saltgrass PC Specs
    Saltgrass PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus XIII Hero
    Processori9 11900K
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 3090 FTW
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorDell AW3420DW
    Storage #1Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB
    Storage #2Samsung 860 Pro 1 TB
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Hyper 212X
    CaseCooler Master
    Power SupplyAntec HCP Platinum 1000
    Keyboard ASUS Strix Flare
    Mouse ASUS Chakram
    Headset/Speakers Logitech wired 5.1
    OS Win 10 Pro
    Network RouterROG Rapture GT-AX11000/AXE11000
    Accessory #1 VR Headset
    Accessory #2 Saitek X52

Quote Originally Posted by DJBigMikeZ View Post
    Yeah, it's around the CPU area, I think it might be the VRM. There's a waterblock on the CPU and that makes almost no noise at all. I've tried every setting in BIOS and nothing changed, even exchanged a new board and the noise is still there. It did disappear a couple of times for no reason.

Does your VRM make any sound?
    I took the glass off one side of the case so I could hear anything showing up. I can hear different sounds, but nothing that rises to the level of distracting. It almost seems like I can even hear a change when the Drive light is flashing. The loudest noise I hear is the Water CPU cooler pump changing speeds..

I never heard any Coil Whine as mentioned in the other thread.

Have you tried booting to a flash drive and see if it makes any difference?

Any chance the Memory could be involved? Using some insulator to hold down any part of the motherboard make any difference?

Are you overclocking?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Saltgrass View Post
    I took the glass off one side of the case so I could hear anything showing up. I can hear different sounds, but nothing that rises to the level of distracting. It almost seems like I can even hear a change when the Drive light is flashing. The loudest noise I hear is the Water CPU cooler pump changing speeds..

I never heard any Coil Whine as mentioned in the other thread.

Have you tried booting to a flash drive and see if it makes any difference?

Any chance the Memory could be involved? Using some insulator to hold down any part of the motherboard make any difference?

Are you overclocking?
    I tried a different set of Memory and it's the same, so annoying... I typically overlock a bit but I tried to just run at stock clock and that didn't work. I think mostly like this is coming from VRM but just can't reduce the noise at all.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by DJBigMikeZ View Post
    I tried a different set of Memory and it's the same, so annoying... I typically overlock a bit but I tried to just run at stock clock and that didn't work. I think mostly like this is coming from VRM but just can't reduce the noise at all.
    You can 100% remove this coilwhine noise. Go to Advanced section of UEFI BIOS, find the acostic options in the menu there, and set the following actions, as per mine in the picture below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210509_111119.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	924.3 KB 
ID:	90338

New ROGer Array

Did you try to change a power mode of your old pomp from AUTO to DC or PWM?