cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stupid Question about brightness

buffalo
Level 7
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, please move if needed.

I have two ASUS monitors, a model PA278QV Proart and model PA278CV Proart.

I bought one for my PS5, one for graphic design.

I noticed that the brightness on both monitors does not get any "brighter" when setting over 50%. I notice no difference in brightness between 50% and 100%. If I go below 50%, it gets noticeably darker. This is in any settings mode.

Is this normal? *ASUS told me it could be "contrast ratio" but didn't expand on what that means or if this is normal (or how to fix it if I want a brighter screen)
I'm used to Mac displays where it seems like the brightness adjusts the actual brightness of the backlight, where the "brightness" on the ASUS seems more like how light the image is (not how bright the screen is)

Appreciate any help*
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hi buffalo

Welcome to the ROG forum !

Are you adjusting the brightness from the displays only?

If you have an Nvidia graphics card, open Nvidia Control Panel, under Display, select "adjust desktop color settings", here you can adjust the brightness and contrast as well.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi buffalo

Welcome to the ROG forum !

Are you adjusting the brightness from the displays only?

If you have an Nvidia graphics card, open Nvidia Control Panel, under Display, select "adjust desktop color settings", here you can adjust the brightness and contrast as well.

Thank you!
I am using the monitors with my PS5 right now, so I don't have the option with the video card, and the PS5 does not have a brightness setting itself. My only option is the monitor.

Mostly I'm just curious if it is normal for there to be no noticeable brightness increase over 50% on ASUS monitors. Since it does the exact same thing on two different monitors I'm guessing they're working properly, just trying to figure out if that's true.

Thanks again!Â*

Nate152 wrote:
All right,

Does this help you at all?

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043885/

Unfortunately that is only for one of the modes (where brightness etc is locked)
I'm talking about the other modes where I can actually adjust the brightness, I just don't see any difference over 50%.

ASUS said contrast ratio. Does that make sense? If contrast is high enough, will the brightness not go up past a certain point even if turn it up?Â*

Nate152
All right,

So the trouble is, your monitors only adjust the brightness up to 50% which leads to your PS5 games being too dark?

Doing a little search, I see many saying how their games look dark on the PS5, it seems turning off HDR makes games brighter.

If you have HDR enabled in the PS5 settings, try disabling HDR and see if your games are any brighter.

Nate152 wrote:
All right,

So the trouble is, your monitors only adjust the brightness up to 50% which leads to your PS5 games being too dark?

Doing a little search, I see many saying how their games look dark on the PS5, it seems turning off HDR makes games brighter.

If you have HDR enabled in the PS5 settings, try disabling HDR and see if your games are any brighter.

Thanks. Proart displays don't have HDR so unfortunately that's also not an option.

Does contrast directly effect brightness? Or should the brightness always get brighter the higher the percentage set on the monitor? Just seems strange both monitors would have the same very specific issue

Nate152
Since both monitors are exhibiting the same issue with the PS5, are you able to connect a pc to your monitors to see if there is a brightness difference?

Then we'll know if we can blame the PS5.

A monitor's contrast ratio indicates the depth of blacks, a higher contrast ratio means deeper blacks and better picture quality.

Your monitors support a contrast ratio of 1000:1 which is very good.