cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well looks like Intel ME Firmware update just bricked my Asus Z490-I

scgt1
Level 8
I ran MoKiChU's Firmware : 14.1.60.1790 [18/08/2021] from https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?117768-FIRMWARE-Intel-ME-(Z490) by first running the check as Admin then the install.cmd as admin. It went through the update then rebooted and rebooted and rebooted.........To the sum of 20+ times of clicking on, barely spooling the fans and turning on the rgb before shutting off again. Over and over. Can't just let it do that all day so shut it off with hopes that it would properly finish what ever it needs to do and well right back to it again on off on off.

I'm assuming it's rma time on this board since this isn't the bios can't just reflash it I assume.

I've used his ME Firmware on countless boards and done this process countless times with the varying updates as they are released and this is a first time something like this has happened.

Thank god back in on 2201.

Looks like it's still on the 14.1.60.1790 ME FW so maybe the ME FW needs an update to jive with 2301. Guess I'll run 2301 now that the ME is updated and see what happens. YOLO right?

BOOT LOOP.

Bios 2301 DOESN'T PLAY NICE WITH INTEL ME 14.1.60.1790
13 REPLIES 13

Nate152

Nate152 wrote:
Hi scgt1

Were you able to get it going with the bios flashback feature?

Yes usb flashback to 2201 worked fine which I was still on Intel ME 14.1.60.1790 so I then ran bios update 2301 to find myself in the boot loop yet again. As I mentioned in my OP

Bios 2301 doesn't play with Intel ME 14.1.60.1790 not sure which version ME I was on when bios 2301 was working just fine so not sure how far back the Intel ME incompatibility goes.

I have been dealing with Asus chat and filling out a motherboard feedback forum to send back to them so maybe they will look into and tend to this bios issue with an update/patch.

So if anyone wants windows 11 they can't be on Intel ME 14.1.60.1790 for sure (not sure if the previous version is what I had prior to the update didn't pay much attention to the number past it was older then the newest update)

If you don't care to switch to 11 (like myself) then update your ME freely to 14.1.60.1790. LOL I mean don't know what else to say.

I'm personally just building this ROG build to get in the hands of a gamer and have no interest in updating to windows 11 but wanted the option there in case the new owner wants to . Well there goes that until maybe Asus heeds my form or discovers the problem with 2301 on their own. LOL

Nate152
Awesome,

Bios flashback is one of the best features to have on a motherboard, saved the day for me many a times.

Thank you for your feedback.

Nate152 wrote:
Awesome,

Bios flashback is one of the best features to have on a motherboard, saved the day for me many a times.

Thank you for your feedback, I will forward this to higher management.

That it is. Probably one of the few times I've had to use it though as these process's usually go smoothly and I've been building computers since 1990. LOL

I've posted this in 3 posts here now (this one, someone else had a post about the 2301 bios boot looping their Z490-I which several peoples posted in, and on MoKiChU's post for the ME FW Update thread) I've also posted on the ROG Subreddit, sent a DM to Asus ROG on Facebook, and also contacted Asus Tech support chat where I thought the issue would have just been passed onto the proper department for R/D to test this issue out and correct the bios file but instead I was emailed a Motherboard Feedback form which I filled out and already sent back. So I assume one way or another this will get up the chain to the proper department to have a fix/update implemented. That of which I would be happy to test. Already soft bricked the board a few times so don't think it's going to hurt it if it happens again. LOL

BTW Since you mentioned forwarding this to higher management are you with Asus Official or have the proper channels to go through to get it up the chain? Didn't think anyone that was actually affiliated with Asus frequented these forums and assumed they were more customer based support forums.

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
Glad you recovered. What does Windows 11 have to do with it?

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

geneo wrote:
Glad you recovered. What does Windows 11 have to do with it?

It doesn't directly but that is what bios 2301 is for. It adds support for Windows 11.

Direct from the Asus bios support download page
"ROG STRIX Z490-I GAMING BIOS 2301
"- Support Windows 11 by default, no settings changes required in the UEFI BIOS."

scgt1 wrote:
It doesn't directly but that is what bios 2301 is for. It adds support for Windows 10.

Direct from the Asus bios support download page
"ROG STRIX Z490-I GAMING BIOS 2301
"- Support Windows 11 by default, no settings changes required in the UEFI BIOS."

You mean 11. All 2301 does is enable PTT by default in BIOS (it is disabled by default). You could enable it with 2201 (or any other version for that matter). It does nothing more for Windows 11.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

Nate152
I sent your thread to the head of the motherboard section here on the forum but even he has to send it higher up.

I don't work for ASUS, I'm just a moderator on the forum so I can't claim if there will even be a fix, and I'll be honest, being it's z-490, I can't say how high on the priority list it may be.

But my advice is if an older Intel ME version works, just stick with it for now and look for a future fix or new update or just use the older bios version, at least you have a choice. 🙂

Maybe other users will chime in who are having the same issue.

Nate152 wrote:
I sent your thread to the head of the motherboard section here on the forum but even he has to send it higher up.

I don't work for ASUS, I'm just a moderator on the forum so I can't claim if there will even be a fix, and I'll be honest, being it's z-490, I can't say how high on the priority list it may be.

But my advice is if an older Intel ME version works, just stick with it for now and look for a future fix or new update or just use the older bios version, at least you have a choice :).

Maybe other users will chime in who are having the same issue.

Not sure how many others are directly having the issue but there is a post in regards to the Z490-I being in boot loop after the 2301 update. Which I didn't experience until the Intel ME F/W update was done and on my pc. So I can only "assume" they also are involved until people in that thread start replying back confirming that they too are having the same exact issue while having the ME 14.1.60.1790 installed.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?125817-Rog-strix-z490-i-gaming-new-bios

It appears my form I sent back to Asus is already working it's way through the system as I received a response already today.

"We are currently working with our Technical Support Department to determine the best next steps for resolution."

Now if a fix/updated bios is released to replace the effected bios is yet to be seen. Although if they went through the trouble to get a bios released for Z490 to work with 11 I can't see them not implementing some more code to accept another ME version . Especially with several people having the issue and I'm sure they will end up with some RMA boards due to this over time as not everyone understands how the bios flashback process works and they may not get it to work correctly.

I do know this is a very sought after board and has been it's entire run for ITX systems. Out of the thousands floating around out there probably 30% of the owners want to give 11 a go at this time. and 10-15% are probably already on the new ME F/W with more joining daily either with new ME FW or the new bios so they can use Win 11. If not on the version of ME F/W now a good portion will probably end up on it at some point then that adds even more with a soft bricked board.

I'm not a statistics major or anything just running off assumptions and what I've seen in the popularity of this board. LOL