cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New CPU support for Asus GL702ZC, now!

Ryzeeen
Level 7
Hi,
i don´t really know if some asus technical is reading this post or not, maybe this is a waste of time for me but i´m here with some questions about the ROG Strix GL702ZC Laptop:
I don´t know what cpu´s could be used in this Laptop. The only one type´s i know is the ryzen 5 1600 and 7 1700. Is there any official list or document where i (or we, because there is a lot of people still using this laptop) can see what cpu´s can be installed? I know, the max. TDP of cpu´s is 65watt.
The second question is:
We want a knew BIOS Update with fully Windows 11 support for the future!
Since there a lot of new BIOS Updates for mainboards and gaming laptops released, why ASUS didn´t release a new BIOS with better cpu support and win 11 support for this machine? There is a tpm module already installed, the only thing is only fisrt gen. ryzen cpu´s could be used.
Or can we use ryzen 2xxx series cpu´s? Does anyone know that?
The mainboard in this laptop is using the amd b350 chipset.
I think that most of this mainboard is almost the same with the ASUS PRIME B350M-K desktop mainboard. And for this mainboard did ASUS a new BIOS release with win11 support. All that we wan´t is a new BIOS for this Laptop, with better cpu and win 11 support!!!
Come on ASUS, it couldn´t be so hard to add new agesa and microcode in the BIOS.
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
As far as I can find Zen+ was never added to this machine. And if it hasn't happened by now it's not going to get added so it looks like the 1700 would be your best bet. However I don't think it's going to give you that much of an improvement to make it worth the time and money to change it. It is up to you though.

It seems like people have been able to get Windows 11 working on a lot of older devices using an ISO install. You could certainly give it a go but I would backup any important files first or even better use a different SSD to test on.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Switching to the 1700 is not my option. We want support for zen+ and win11 support. The win 10 update already told me that the machine does not match because of the zen 1 generation cpu. I really don´t know why Asus is not making a new BIOS update for it. The Mainboard is like a desktop mainboard and this should be handled like a normal desktop system. All desktop mainboard´s are supported with BIOS Updates to work with windows 11. The GL702ZC not. What´s the the reason behind this? This is really annoying from Asus why no future updates don´t coming for this desktop replacing system. But i think that i have to ask other people to mod the BIOS to make other cpu´s work. I don´t think that my sugestion is coming to someone who would help...

Ryzeeen wrote:
I really don´t know why Asus is not making a new BIOS update for it. The Mainboard is like a desktop mainboard and this should be handled like a normal desktop system. All desktop mainboard´s are supported with BIOS Updates to work with windows 11. The GL702ZC not. What´s the the reason behind this?

I don't know the workings of ASUS but my guess would be that almost no one will upgrade the CPU in a 4 year old laptop that has 5 year old GPU technology. If no one will do it then it isn't worth the manufacturer's time to update the system and fully test it with all the new CPUs that would be compatible.

Also, it's not a desktop with a standard chipset and build. It's a custom mobile mainboard with mobile trappings. Just because the only way they could mount a Zen 1 CPU was with a socket doesn't make it compatible with desktop firmware.

I don't mean to give you a hard time but you seem to have extremely unrealistic expectations. None of the major notebook manufacturers releases system updates to add new hardware to 4 year old systems. For that matter it isn't even that common to see new hardware compatibility updates on 4 year old desktop motherboards. Just because Microsoft has decided not to support your hardware it doesn't change the equation for the hardware manufacturer. You really need to make your voice heard with Microsoft because as far as I can tell it's an entirely arbitrary decision on their part.

As I mentioned, if this is important to you then I believe you should be able to circumvent Microsoft's restriction. Just research how to install Windows 11 on older unsupported hardware.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

You are wrong. There are posts in multiple places all over the web. I own the same model with the Ryzen 1700 in it. I'd love to drop in a 2700 or even a 3700x (both of which are 65watt and I have as spares from desktop upgrades.