GL503VM Longterm maintaiance options?

Jason_Brody
Level 7
I have Gl503VM

- i7 7700HQ -100mv Undervolt
- GTX 1060, 16GB 2400Mhz RAM
- 16 GB 2400MHz stock RAM

Few questions:

- Can I safely uninstall WinFlash BIOS since BIOS isnt updated at all now ?
- Can I safely uninstall ROG Gaming Center and somehow assign the rog key to do something else ?

- What is the max upgrades I can do to RAM Storage etc in terms of speed and capacity?
- Laptop came with 60HZ Display, can I somehow upgrade to 120Hz ( Gl503 Hero edition had 120hz display)
- Heating is kinda of poor I have applied Artic MX3 thermal paste 3-4 times as the effects go away and temp goes from 70-80c to 85-90c

What are some useful tweaks which can make the laptop perform better ?

3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
You don't need the flash tool if you don't want it. As far as I know you don't *need* any of the special software for the machine to work except for the key. I believe you can't really do anything with it without the ASUS software.

You could probably add more than 16GB of memory, but why? Unless you have a specific reason you shouldn't need more than that to just game on it. For storage there should not be any practical limit. Any SATA or NVME drive that is physically compatible should work.

Changing an LCD panel is possible but it's a very involved process requiring disassembly of much of the machine. And you would have to find a compatible panel (probably from the Hero) which could be expensive. With a GTX 1060 I'm not sure how much you might benefit from a faster panel. Depending on the game and quality settings you won't get 120FPS.

For temps, with these machines they are designed to run hotter and let the components throttle as needed so higher temps alone are not a problem. Are you experiencing performance problems or just higher temps?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
You don't need the flash tool if you don't want it. As far as I know you don't *need* any of the special software for the machine to work except for the key. I believe you can't really do anything with it without the ASUS software.

You could probably add more than 16GB of memory, but why? Unless you have a specific reason you shouldn't need more than that to just game on it. For storage there should not be any practical limit. Any SATA or NVME drive that is physically compatible should work.

Changing an LCD panel is possible but it's a very involved process requiring disassembly of much of the machine. And you would have to find a compatible panel (probably from the Hero) which could be expensive. With a GTX 1060 I'm not sure how much you might benefit from a faster panel. Depending on the game and quality settings you won't get 120FPS.

For temps, with these machines they are designed to run hotter and let the components throttle as needed so higher temps alone are not a problem. Are you experiencing performance problems or just higher temps?

Even though gaming maybe not benefit much from 120 hz, even general browsing can make huge difference for me. Also I play some games which which a 1060 can do 120 fps just fine.

I am aware and experienced with disassembly, as I had seen some detailed videos of complete disassembly and have applied thermal paste multiple times.
I am currently using ARTIC MX-4 :
Idle: 50-70 C
Work: 60-70 C
Gaming 85-90c

Performance is only affected ( drops lags ) when I am gaming and not using a laptop stand.
I have heard about Gelid gc-extreme being a very good paste for laptops. Will it make a big difference in temps compared to MX-4 ?
Where can I get the display for my gl503vm ? I live in India so international shipping would be preferred.

Thanks!

xeromist
I don't believe that a different paste is going to make much difference. Most premium pastes are within a few degrees of each other.

I'm not sure where you would find a panel other than pre-owned on Ebay. If you can figure out the model number from the Hero's panel you could also look on Aliexpress but I don't know if they are available new.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…