cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Hero XIII - Dual Screen Problem - Related to Audio Chipset

rev3rser
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I created my account here just to ask this. It already took over 2 - 3 weeks of troubleshooting this problem and I can't figure it out. I am so frustrated by this situation that I absolutely want to change the motherboard.

I will try to keep it short and on the subject.

I come from an ASUS PRIME Z490-P - that worked PERFECT but ... I wanted to have PCIE4 ... I consider the expense now a mistake.

Every time I restart the computer - my second monitor displays only "half" of the screen. Only on restarts. I think I've restarted the computer over 300 times to troubleshoot the issue. You can see it in the pictures.

Things that I've tried:

Reinstalled Windows several times. Clean, no 3rd party drivers, no bloatware, no junk software. My RGB is OFF from bios. The computer is "dark".
Tested the memory (took about 24 hours for a pass) using "Memtest" - integrated in BIOS.
BIOS Settings - in all and every shape and form possible.
NO overclock. Not on memory not on CPU (I don't overclock the CPU anyway). I "enforced all limits" and disabled intel core boost.
I tried 2 !! Video cards, my latest RTX370 and the previous card that I had GTX960. Same thing.
Tried several Nvidia drivers. Both studio and gaming editions. Same issue.
I went to the insanity to BUY ANOTHER MONITOR. The monitor on the left - it's brand new, I had a "DVI" connected DELL monitor before that. Now both are DP. Nothing changed.
I've tried several Realtek Audio Drivers - the one from the official site (wich is kind'a old) and several from this forum. SAME issue.
I've also tried ALL THE PREVIOUS BIOS versions. Nothig changes.
I've EXCHANGED the motherboard with ANOTHER one from the local vendor. So definitely it's NOT a case of defective *something or RMA.

The problem DISSAPEARS IF:

I insert an USB stick in any USB port. The image goes back to normal with a "flash".
IF I DISABLE the ONBOARD sound card - the problem doesn't occure anymore.
If I go in Windows to "display settings" and I change the "Scale" to something else - and back to 100% - the image is fine afterwards.
IF I use WINDOWS Realtek Sound Drivers - NOT ANY (and I mean ANY) of the possible drivers that I can download.

It's CLEARLY related to that Realtek Sound card. It's that crap ? Are the drivers THAT crap ?
IMaybe some will not understand but this is bugging me so much that I really want to get rid of this maiboard. Yes. Just for this issue. It's driving me insane when I start the PC to go to "display settings - > change scale -> change scale back" all the time. Sick of it.

The only permanent fix is to disable the soundcard in BIOS.

My complete specs are:

ASUS Hero Maximus XIII
Intel 11900K @ 3.5Ghz
NVME SSD Samsung 980Pro PCIE4 1TB
128 GB RAM (4 x 32 GB) Patriot Viper Steel - 3600MhZ running (without problems) with XMP II activated - but "downclocked" to 3333 MhZ. CL18 - 1.35V (undervolted to 1.3V). Like I mentioned above ALL stresstests and memtest - are perfect.
Video Card GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC LHR 8GB GDDR6 256-bit from Gigabyte. (I still have my old card a Gigabyte GTX960).

All the components (CPU, memory , ssd and that video card) were used 1 month ago with my previous MB - ASUS Prime ZZ490 - and I had NO problem. I thought that spending more on a "premium" MB will give me more features not more head aches. Except PCIE4 the previous board was a bliss. No fuss, no problems.

Even with this post I am loosing my faith. I don't think anything will help since I've tried everything. But I am writing this to warn whoever knows best - that those Realtek drivers are JUNK and are doing something related to USB reset. Since if I insert an usb stick - the screen flashes and everything goes back to normal.

I've attached 2 pictures. One with my OLD DVI monitor - and one with my new DP monitor. I don't know why they are upside-down - they display correctly on my PC. But it doesn't matter - you get the point anyway.

Any thoughts on this ?
Thankyou !
Popte.
9 REPLIES 9

timetoy
Level 7
I had a similar looking issue (also at the bottom of a vertical secondary monitor) a few month ago. In my case I was able to work around it by changing the orientation to landscape and then back to portrait in display settings. The issue stopped by itself when I assumed I updated the NVidia driver.
Do you have an old Display driver?

Hello, thanks for your answer.

Nope. I use the most current nvidia driver. I've tried other versions (after looking at the complaints from some versions - on nvidia forums). Doesn't matter.
Like I said - the video driver AND even the card itself (if I swap it with my old GPU) does the same. It's definitely not related to video card / drivers , since:

- same configuration - same card - same monitor - same memory / cpu - old motherboard (ASUS Prime Z490) - NO issues
- new Motherboard - disabling SOUND card in bios - no issues.
- new Motherboard - NO Realtek drivers - no issues.

Trust me, i've suspected the video card. But NO evidence leads to that. All the fingers point at the crappy USB Realtek soundcard or realtek drivers. (though i've had a Realtek soundcard on my old Motherboard - wasn't this "USB" thing thing that I have here.

Popte.

rev3rser wrote:
Hello, thanks for your answer.

Nope. I use the most current nvidia driver. I've tried other versions (after looking at the complaints from some versions - on nvidia forums). Doesn't matter.
Like I said - the video driver AND even the card itself (if I swap it with my old GPU) does the same. It's definitely not related to video card / drivers , since:

- same configuration - same card - same monitor - same memory / cpu - old motherboard (ASUS Prime Z490) - NO issues
- new Motherboard - disabling SOUND card in bios - no issues.
- new Motherboard - NO Realtek drivers - no issues.

Trust me, i've suspected the video card. But NO evidence leads to that. All the fingers point at the crappy USB Realtek soundcard or realtek drivers. (though i've had a Realtek soundcard on my old Motherboard - wasn't this "USB" thing thing that I have here.

Popte.

rev3rser

I don't know if this will help.... I too have had the same issue with the sound on this Maximus XIII Hero, when you first boot the computer I actually get 3 beeps and/or chirps, whatever you want to call it.... I get to of them close to each other then a short delay then the last one. this is with ASUS audio drivers install. Doesn't seem to matter which version, like you said.

However this last time I did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro, I noticed that, Windows installed a Realtek USB2.0 Audio driver, dated 12/6/2019, Driver-10.0.19041.1, Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows.
The bad audio issues went away, everything seems to be working great. When I updated to the ASUS drivers it started again, with the popping at first boot up. But when I roll back to the Windows version 10.0.1904.1, noise goes away.....:confused:

I was thinking that this driver may temporarily fix your issue, or until somebody can fix it..

LDFiberman1 thank you, I appreciate your reply.

Actually I mentioned above - in each post that "windows drivers" doesn't manifest the issue.

Yes, it's EXACTLY the driver that I use. Nothing and none of the other drivers work properly. Any version of realtek driver that I used except this one - is doing the same. The driver from MB's support page or any driver from this forum (with windows cleanly installed or with a proper cleanup before changing the driver).

I mention that I 've tried Windows 11 ! (I switched back to Windows 10 for other reasons ... ) - but the same thing happene using Realtek drivers from ASUS of from ASUS forums. Only the Microsoft Update drivers work (no sonic studio ... no extended controls ) - but at least no anoying bugs.

Popte.

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
i remeber that on w11. they has not fix it? And no is not the bering of the ram module.

Is a windows issue not related to the audio solution I am 100% sure
Learn, Play Enjoy!

MrAgapiGC wrote:
i remeber that on w11. they has not fix it? And no is not the bering of the ram module.

Is a windows issue not related to the audio solution I am 100% sure

I am sorry but I don't buy that.
Because all the evidence point to Realtek Drivers and / or soundcard implementation.

And:

- nothing in Windows event log about this
- ONLY Windows (Microsoft published) drivers actually WORK (it's exactly the opposite).
- NO problems with Asus Prime Z490. (No UISB soundcard I think ... different chipset. Maximus Hero XIII - ROG SupremeFX 7.1 ALC4082 - Prime - Z490 - 7.1 Audio with Realtek S1220A)
- Windows 11 (and 10 for that matter) - all WORK with Microsoft native driver but BOTH FAIL with Asus Drivers. Isn't that strange ?

If it's Windows - please pinpoint the bug. Give me a detailed link / debug log.
I can reproduce this bug (already did with 2 Motherboards - since I exchanged first in warranty thinking it was faulty) - I can reproduce it EVERY time - I put 2 monitors, secondary to the left - in portrait mode. The connection or resolution of the monitors does NOT matter. Always getting this behavior. Since I was able to doit with 2 separate GPU's and 2 separate MB's - I guess it's safe to say it will act the same on ANY maximus XIII hero until someone fixes the damn Realtek Drivers so we can have Sonic and advanced controls !.

The absolute ultimate test is - for me to get hold of another motherboard with the same audio chipset and z590 - and put all my components into it - and if see if it behaves the same. If it does ... you are right. But if if doesn't (and I am quite sure it won't - because I searched the internet for weeks - and noone has complained about something like this) - then it's Asus implementation and/or drivers.

I will try to get hold of one. Searching as we speak .

It's easy to blame others ...

rev3rser wrote:
I am sorry but I don't buy that.
Because all the evidence point to Realtek Drivers and / or soundcard implementation.

And:

- nothing in Windows event log about this
- ONLY Windows (Microsoft published) drivers actually WORK (it's exactly the opposite).
- NO problems with Asus Prime Z490. (No UISB soundcard I think ... different chipset. Maximus Hero XIII - ROG SupremeFX 7.1 ALC4082 - Prime - Z490 - 7.1 Audio with Realtek S1220A)
- Windows 11 (and 10 for that matter) - all WORK with Microsoft native driver but BOTH FAIL with Asus Drivers. Isn't that strange ?

If it's Windows - please pinpoint the bug. Give me a detailed link / debug log.
I can reproduce this bug (already did with 2 Motherboards - since I exchanged first in warranty thinking it was faulty) - I can reproduce it EVERY time - I put 2 monitors, secondary to the left - in portrait mode. The connection or resolution of the monitors does NOT matter. Always getting this behavior. Since I was able to doit with 2 separate GPU's and 2 separate MB's - I guess it's safe to say it will act the same on ANY maximus XIII hero until someone fixes the damn Realtek Drivers so we can have Sonic and advanced controls !.

The absolute ultimate test is - for me to get hold of another motherboard with the same audio chipset and z590 - and put all my components into it - and if see if it behaves the same. If it does ... you are right. But if if doesn't (and I am quite sure it won't - because I searched the internet for weeks - and noone has complained about something like this) - then it's Asus implementation and/or drivers.

I will try to get hold of one. Searching as we speak .

It's easy to blame others ...

is a know issue with and without oem audio drivers. you can use the forums ones. most are document already in windows. but take the time i did these back on march and then on w11 flight. and that still pending
Learn, Play Enjoy!

MrAgapiGC wrote:
is a know issue with and without oem audio drivers. you can use the forums ones. most are document already in windows. but take the time i did these back on march and then on w11 flight. and that still pending

.... do you understand that WORKS with Microsoft drivers ?

DOESN'T work with ANY forum driver. Tried some of them.

I am NOT interested in Windows 11 for now.

If it's "known" give me a link - a tech doc - another forum post - or a windows log direction. I want to document myself more on the matter.
For now what you say it's just a "rumour" without proof. Real life testing point DIRECTLY to Realtek driver, Chipset or the way it was implemented.

Like I said - I am in the process of finding another motherboard with exactly the same USB audio chipset and same socket / z590 , and test this again to see if it's the hardware or the driver. So I can rule one out and pinpoint EXACTLY the culpitt. On my computer with my components.

I think I will have a definitive result by the end of next week. It's hard to find a motherboard with the same USB realtek soudcard.

Popte.

rev3rser
Level 7
UPDATE REGARDING SoundCard / Video Issues:

I found a newer (than official ASUS support) SoundCard Firmware Update:
USB Audio FW Update Tool_VID0B05(2021-11-25)_ASUS
The update went without problems.
Also on official ASUS support - a few days ago a new Realtek SoundCard Driver is posted:
Version: 6.3.9600.2307 from 6 December 2021.
I was on Microsoft OEM Drivers (2019) - the only drivers that worked .
NOTHING Changed after firmware and driver update. Same issue at startup or restart.

I was on Microsoft OEM Drivers (2019) - the only drivers that worked . I tried some of the forums Realtek Drivers for ALC4082 chipset. SAME issue at boot-up / restart.
Between drivers - I cleaned the drivers with DriverStoreExplorer.v0.11.72.

NOTHING Worked. Nothing changed.

UPDATE REGARDING the 2 USB-C / Thunderbolt ports on the back pannel:

So, I have a "ASUS ROG Strix Arion" external NVME Enclosure with a Samsung NVME 250 drive in it.
The driver works ONLY and ONLY with the PROVIDED 10 INCH Arione USB-C to USB-C cable. If I use a longer cable (I have an usb-c to usb-c cable that reaches my table - for convenience) - does NOT work.
The external enclosure IS POWERED but does NOT COMMUNICATE.

I have an Oculus Quest 2. If I use the provided charging (white) cable - USB-C to USB-C on ANY of the back ports - the headset does NOT communicate (but is charging).
If I use the "official" (Expensive) usb-c to usb-c Oculus Link cable - does NOT work. I've seen some posts here on the forums that the Maximus XIII is "not compatible" with Oculus Link ... in fact the USB-C ports don't WORK with a long cable.
If I use the "short" 10 inch Arion cable - with Oculus - WORKS. I must get under the table and stay with my head near the case - so I can confirm the link, because only a very short cable actually works.

Ok ... another use for me - an "original" USB-C to Lightning Apple cable - does NOT work with this motherboard. The phone is CHARGING but does NOT ask for a confirmation to "Thrust This PC" (does not communicate).

I must add that ALL power saving options are DISABLED in BIOS and in device properties / power settings in Windows.
Tries WITH and WITHOUT Thunderbolt drivers installed and with / without Thunderbolt enabled / disabled in BIOS.

To sum this up - 10 inch cable MAX on the 2 USB-C ports in the back. Isn't the "Amazing Sound Card" connected to the same interface by any chance ?
Anyway - I am sure that NO firmware / BIOS or Driver will fix those issues - clearly a DESIGN FLAW.
I couldn't find another motherboard to test that has this crap USB "Amazing Sound Card". This part was cheaper in the assembly process or what is the reason behind this ?

I am really happy to report that today I FINALLY FIXED ALL my issues.

And I've done that by REPLACING this motherboard with an (expensive) Aorus Z590 Xtreme. All my problems are FINALLY GONE.
USB's in the back work with any cable. Sound is loud and crisp. Realtek drivers WORK, and better memory frequency on same 1.35V (I have 128 so always was a challenge).

I am going to list this Maximus Hero XIII on Ebay - and I am sure I won't sell it at a loss - since there are alot of RGB fanboys out there - that just want LED's and don't care about functionality. They just want the computer to look "pretty".
If spending on dumb and useless RGB and clueless "influencers" is your marketing strategy ... good luck ASUS. Not my thing.

I think I had my first ASUS Motherboard in 1999 - with an Intel Celeron (SLOT 1) - at 300MhZ - but this was the LAST ASUS branded product that I will EVER buy in my life.

OUT with the OLD - > IN with the NEW 🙂

Happy Holidays Everyone !